Gear Review Exped Synmat Basic 7.5

Deadeye008

Hambone
Had some time on my hands tonight so I thought I'd review a few of the sleeping pads that I have. This pad has been my go to pad for the past year. Dimensions are 71.5"x19"x3". If you have never slept on an inflatable sleeping pad then you are missing out on some fine backcountry rest. This pad is no different. Exped states that the weight of this pad is 23.3oz. When I weighed it at my house it came out to 24oz with the stuff sack. It folds up nicely in the stuff sack and packed dimensions are roughly 10.5"x4.5". The pad comes with the stuff sack already mentioned and a repeair kit. The stuff sack can be used as a pillow when filled with a shirt or some other article of clothing. It took me 14 breathes to inflate the pad which is failry fast. One thing I like about this pad over the two Big Agnes pads is that this pad has two one-way valves. One for infalting and one for deflating. That way, if you have to take a break from inflating the pad you don't have to worry about trying to keep the air from escaping because it's a one-way valve. Exped give this pad an R-value of 4.0 and a temperature rating of 12 degrees F. I have used this pad in conjunction with my 20 degree down bag into the 20's and have never been cold. I am 5'11" and slender built and find this pad is just right for me. I am also a side sleeper which plays to my advantage having a 19" wide pad.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf

Here are some pics.

IMG_2430-2.jpg

IMG_2431-2.jpg

IMG_2435-2.jpg
IMG_2442-2.jpgIMG_2443-2.jpgIMG_2445-2.jpg