Exit Glacier, Kenai Fjords NP

Discussion in 'Hiking & Camping' started by Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Ben

Ben Member .

Here are some pictures from the hike up to the top of Exit Glacier via the Harding Icefield Trail. It's either three or four miles, and gains about 3,000'. Some of these pictures have very bad exposures, but they're all i have, so you know, we'll deal with it.

Initially the trail works it's way through dense vegetation with occasional glimpses of a view. The line through the trees to the left of the stream is the road leading to the visitor center and the parking lot for the trail.
    DSCF1042.JPG

This was a bridge. If you can not tell, the beam is not placed flat.
    IMG_2355.JPG

The bottom extent of the glacier meeting the valley floor.
    ipod2 (9).JPG

First views up to the top of the glacier.
    DSCF1051.JPG

You can see the snow melt just pouring off the mountain. It was like that all over Alaska while we were there.
    DSCF1054.JPG

ipod2 (6).JPG

IMG_2367.JPG

ipod2 (11).JPG

The trail, the road, the streams. you can see my brothers coming up behind me and my other brother who hikes at a reasonable pace here.
    DSCF1074.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

DSCF1078.JPG

Spencer nearing the top.
    DSCF1081.JPG

The trail keeps going.
    DSCF1094.JPG

DSCF1099.JPG

DSCF1100.JPG

DSCF1106.JPG

DSCF1107.JPG

DSCF1110.JPG

We crossed some snow fields.
    DSCF1124.JPG

ipod2 (30).JPG

ipod2 (39).JPG

At the top. The Harding Icefield. It goes back as far as the eye can see. It is actually quite huge. There's a person silhouetted on a rock outcrop below and left of center.
    DSCF1140.JPG

The view back out the valley.
    DSCF1150.JPG

This picture gives you the best idea of what it looks like there, if you can view it large enough.
    DSCF1157.JPG

DSCF1160.JPG

DSCF1162.JPG

ipod2 (44).JPG

ipod2 (59).JPG

ipod2 (73).JPG

We had enough time waiting for my youngest brothers to catch up to enjoy our selves.
    IMG_2418.JPG

You can see how cold it was up there during our visit.
    DSCF1171.JPG

We spent a little while enjoying our selves on that slope. Skiing in july.
    ipod2 (79).JPG

IMG_2493.JPG

We also explored the top a little. This stream flows down to the glacier, from who knows where, and then under it. It is actually a lot of water, moving very very quickly.
    DSCF1182.JPG

DSCF1189.JPG

DSCF1193.JPG

Hopping the stream.
    IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

ipod2 (93).JPG

ipod2 (94).JPG

ipod2 (98).JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

The youngest two finally made it up.
    ipod2.JPG

Three of them did a polar bear in one of the melt puddles and sang 'I'm A Little Teapot'. I'm smarter than that, i filmed them.
    IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

Featured image for home page:
    slide.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  2. Vegan.Hiker

Vegan.Hiker Member .

Looks amazing up there. I can see why you are heading back. Very cool to be around that much ice and snow but in comfortable temps.

3. Tres Westbrook

Tres Westbrook Member

Awesome photos. When we did the hike it was raining and foggy the whole time. I wanna go back when there is weather like that.

Ben likes this.
  4. Tres Westbrook

Tres Westbrook Member

Alaska gives a whole new meaning to "huge" - it's easy to lose your sense of scale up there. The Harding Icefield and its glaciers cover more than 1,000 square miles, and the ice in the area around the top of Exit Glacier is around 2,000 feet thick. I think in spots its thickness approaches 4,000 feet.

5. katuah

katuah leftneck ramblegeek

Wow, thanks, that brought back some memories! We were right there in summer 2005. We started up the trail pretty late in the day, got delayed by bear activity on the upper part not long before the top, and ended up doing this crazy trail-run-type descent because it was getting dark and we had no gear for an, um, extended stay. The next day my legs - especially my knees - hurt so bad I couldn't walk. It was freakin' beautiful though and I'd love to go back sometime and spend the whole day just enjoying the ice like y'all did. Thanks!

Ben likes this.
  6. TannerT

TannerT Hike Hard, Tread Lightly

Awesome!

7. Scott Chandler

Scott Chandler Wildness is a necessity- John Muir

Amen.

Beyond cool

:hungry: