Excited to Learn!

GeorgieGurl

Hello! I’m brand spanking new to backpacking and am planning a trip the first of October to hike rim to rim of the Grand Canyon! (Go big or go home, right?) Like I said, I’m just starting out – I got fitted for my backpack last week, but I still need EVERYTHING else! Whew! I want to learn everything I can from the people who’ve ‘been there, done that’. Would love tips on hiking the GC specifically, as well as traveling as light as possible. I’m excited to learn and hear other peoples’ adventures! (Just to clarify, I will not hike rim to rim in one day, but 2 -3 days!)

Last edited:
Sounds exciting! I would certainly recommend some "training trips" to get acclimated to carrying the weight up and down steep terrain.
Good sturdy broken in boots about 1-1.5 sizes too big are a must!
Trekking poles!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Sounds exciting! I would certainly recommend some "training trips" to get acclimated to carrying the weight up and down steep terrain.
Good sturdy broken in boots about 1-1.5 sizes too big are a must!
Trekking poles!

Thank you! YES for SHUR!! I got my poles and pack first so I could start training with it. I have a few places with steep grades that I will be training on. Ugh... building those legs AND lungs!!

Not much will compare to climbing out of the big ditch. Rim to rim is ambitious for a first.. especially if trying in one day. personally id to south to north. Should start a little milder imo.

Thank you! YES for SHUR!! I got my poles and pack first so I could start training with it. I have a few places with steep grades that I will be training on. Ugh... building those legs AND lungs!!
Are you in the Southwest? I do a lot of 1-3 night trips & am always happy to have some company. I'm actually breaking my 10 yr old son in this spring, so lots of beginner type trips planned.

Congratulations! I am very exciting for you and your journey.
I still feel like a noob haha
One thing I learned really quick is that REI usually doesn't have the lightweight options. Don't get me wrong, I still make purchases there and love their return policy too!
As I realized I LOVE a lightweight load, I ended up having to reinvest in gear from other brands that REI doesn't sell.
I think some people just get out there and do it and that is fine, but I agree with @VegasHikeLife. Do day hikes with your pack! I used to take mine to the gym, or a weighted vest.

Also..my $7 camp stove purchased from Wish is the best I ever owned. Don't be fooled into thinking you need to buy all the expensive stuff.
For me, the pack, sleeping pad, and the shoes are the things things that I put comfort over cost on.
My attitude for all other gear has been buy cheap and try it out. I've found some excellent stuff that way.
I do recommend checking out Paria products for excellent lightweight tent that is very inexpensive.

Not much will compare to climbing out of the big ditch. Rim to rim is ambitious for a first.. especially if trying in one day. personally id to south to north. Should start a little milder imo.
That is the plan. Am going with a friend who has done it a number of times, so that is good! I feel confident I can do it. I'm in fair shape, and still have six months to train. Plan to do a few overnighters before then too.

Congratulations! I am very exciting for you and your journey.
I still feel like a noob haha
One thing I learned really quick is that REI usually doesn't have the lightweight options. Don't get me wrong, I still make purchases there and love their return policy too!
As I realized I LOVE a lightweight load, I ended up having to reinvest in gear from other brands that REI doesn't sell.
I think some people just get out there and do it and that is fine, but I agree with @VegasHikeLife. Do day hikes with your pack! I used to take mine to the gym, or a weighted vest.
Good advise!! Thank you!

Also..my $7 camp stove purchased from Wish is the best I ever owned. Don't be fooled into thinking you need to buy all the expensive stuff.
For me, the pack, sleeping pad, and the shoes are the things things that I put comfort over cost on.
My attitude for all other gear has been buy cheap and try it out. I've found some excellent stuff that way.
I do recommend checking out Paria products for excellent lightweight tent that is very inexpensive.

Thank you!! I will check them out! I know my wallet needs a break!

I did the RRR a few years ago, bring some money so you can stop at Phantom Ranch for a snack. Also, for training, the biggest hint I got from a guy who had done 10 RRR trips is to do some long flat hikes. We started out with 10-12 miles and built up to around 25 miles. Walking that far on flat ground really toughens up your feet and legs! We did maybe 6 of those long training hikes spread out over about 4 months.

Here is a trip report from a different year.
https://www.summitpost.org/grand-canyon-rrr/190324

Last edited:
I did the RRR a few years ago, bring some money so you can stop at Phantom Ranch for a snack. Also, for training, the biggest hint I got from a guy who had done 10 RRR trips is to do some long flat hikes. We started out with 10-12 miles and built up to around 25 miles. Walking that far on flat ground really toughens up your feet and legs! We did maybe 6 of those long training hikes spread out over about 4 months.

Here is a trip report from a different year.
https://www.summitpost.org/grand-canyon-rrr/190324
Wow. Thank you! I never would have considered long flat hikes to train for hills!! Thanks for the report! I'm reading it now!

In case you're not already aware, you must have a permit to camp in the canyon. Demand is much greater than supply, so hopefully you'll be able to do it with your preferred itinerary. In addition to tons of training, I definitely recommend at least one overnight ahead of time to test out your gear.

I will strongly recommend heading over to the gear swap on backpackinglight and just post that you are looking for stuff to get started. You will get some bargains/maybe even some stuff people are willing to unload for shipping cost.

The thing is you are going to dial in your needs with experience so it’s not great to buy a bunch of new stuff that you think you will like/need.

I want to second Brendan's suggestion regarding the BPL gear swap. My current kit is probably 70% used stuff I bought through the swap. The downside is that it helps to either 1) know exactly what you want, or 2) have the time to buy, try, and sell back what you don't want. That process took about two years for me -- although I was out hiking all that time and enjoying the process of trying new gear out, so don't hear that as an obstacle to hiking.

Don't get caught up in ultralite.... It's just a word. By the things you need... Get the lightest justified by the price. Saving 3 oz at the cost of $100 is not worth it. Name brands are not necessarily the best....they are just marketed more. Ex. I have used tarptent tent, granite gear pack, mountain hardwear synthetic bag, Optimus Crux stove, neoair pad for upwards of 10 yrs. None are the lightest... But cost wise economical. But what I use nay not fit your needs.. it's individual.

Totally agree with Bob. My base pack weight is usually around 14-15 lbs., which 'technically' makes me Lightweight and not Ultralight (hence the title of the videos). Comfort, safety and enjoyment are more important than an arbitrary number IMHO.

In case you're not already aware, you must have a permit to camp in the canyon. Demand is much greater than supply, so hopefully you'll be able to do it with your preferred itinerary. In addition to tons of training, I definitely recommend at least one overnight ahead of time to test out your gear.
Yes! Thank you!! We feel fairly confident that we'll snag the permits. The person I'm going with has done it several times - so fingers crossed!
I will strongly recommend heading over to the gear swap on backpackinglight and just post that you are looking for stuff to get started. You will get some bargains/maybe even some stuff people are willing to unload for shipping cost.

The thing is you are going to dial in your needs with experience so it’s not great to buy a bunch of new stuff that you think you will like/need.
THANK YOU!! I'll check 'em out!! I really don't want to spend a ton... especially if I find that overnight hiking isn't my thang!