Escalante for Memorial Day weekend? Ideas?

Stephanie

Hey guys! I have been itching to see the grand staircase since I have never been, so I was thinking of heading up that way for Memorial Day weekend. My parents would like to join as well. They are older, so they want to take their 30ft, 5th wheel trailer. They don't care about having hook ups, since they have a generator.. but I'm having trouble finding a camp ground that isn't $40.00 a night for this. Any ideas? Also, anything else we should check out while we are out there? Thanks!! :)

I'm envious. Y'all are going to love it. There is so much to do in that area, so many places to experience. Just around Escalante you have Calf Creek Falls, Cottonwood Canyon Road and Grosvenor Arch, Kodachrome SP, Spooky and other slots, Devil's Garden, Hole in the Rock -- with just a few days and your folks and a fifth wheel, I assume you will not be doing any backpacking, but there are all sorts of easy day hikes and interesting road trips right in the area. And don't forget Capitol Reef NP just up the road.

Canyons of Escalante RV Park, should be under $ 40.00.
Very friendly staff, minutes to walk to restaurants, eateries and grocery. Good base for exploring the surroundings.
A good boonedocking site for 5th wheelers is on the Old Sheffield Rd.

Gesendet von meinem ViperoneM8 mit CrapaTalk

Thanks Tres!
Michael, do you think we would need to head up there a day or 2 early to get a site for the 5th wheel on the old sheffield rd?

I think, that's a good choice.

Gesendet von iPad mit CrapaTalk

If I recall, there's only one or two spots on Old Sheffield, right? If you can't get that one, there are quite a few in the first few miles of Hole-in-the-Rock that might be good for a fifth wheel.

Yes, two good spots are located there. :)
A little bit tricky for a 5th, but maybe possible is on Upper Calf Creek Falls TH.
Been there /w 30ft RV, a couple of years ago.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit CrapaTalk

Thanks everyone! :) I think we might just play it safe and get a site at Escalante RV Park. I just would hate to get all the way there, only to not be able to find a spot.

Have fun and enjoy. :)

Gesendet von meinem ViperoneM8 mit CrapaTalk

Friends of mine from northern Utah did their annual into-the-desert gathering with four or five fifth-wheels and tons of kids and dogs two Memorial Days ago. They found a great spot not far down Hole-in-the-Rock road for everyone. I'm pretty sure one of their party went down Thursday night to make sure they nabbed the spot for everyone. Just more food for thought if you guys don't end up using the rv park.

Also, depending on your vehicles, I'd suggest checking out Hell's Backbone (the road, but the restaurant in Boulder is quite good, too). Some nice hikes off that, including the Box (Pine Creek, the Pine Creek Box, it gets called different names), which is a personal favorite. There's also the Burr Trail, which will take you through or get you to Long Canyon, Deer Creek, the Gulch, the Lampstand area, Upper & Lower Muley Twist, down to Notom, etc etc. So much to see and do!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nanda Escalante Area - Memorial Day weekend Hiking & Camping 5
B Is there water at Colt Mesa tank - Escalante Trip Planning 7
desertvic The Grand Staircase Escalante NM needs you! Meet Up (Members Only) 1
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
canadug Escalante area exploring Trip Planning 0
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
fossana A challenging week on the Escalante Overland Route Backpacking 21
fossana Public comment for revised Grand Staircase Escalante NM management plan (comments open 11 Aug - 9 Nov) General Discussion 11
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
radioradio Sad Cowboy Traverse - A Week in Escalante Backpacking 12
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
radioradio Anxious About Escalante Trip Planning 64
regehr Escalante dumpsters Trip Planning 9
regehr potable water in Escalante town? Trip Planning 6
D Fox Canyon Escalante? General Discussion 7
Janice Water questions - Escalante area Trip Planning 38
Duketogo13 BMT- Death Hollow-Escalante Triangle loop Trip Planning 20
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
priz1234 The Gulch Escalante 4/17-4/18 Backpacking 2
RyanP Conditions (water/bugs) for Escalante/Death Hollow Trip Planning 27
J Escalante Natl. Mon. to Bryce N.P. the (unknown) Final Dayhikes April 15-16, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Lost in the Escalante .......... Blast from the Past Backpacking 6
Bob A short Escalante trip end of April Backpacking 5
swmalone Restaurant Suggestions for Escalante or Boulder General Discussion 11
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
swmalone Camping suggestions for Escalante in May Trip Planning 2
Muddy Waters Stevens, Fold, Escalante River, Fools, Kings Mesa Trip Reports 3
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
ramblinman Boulder Creek Day Hike, Escalante National Monument Hiking & Camping 5
M Ideas for 4 nights in Escalante Trip Planning 30
M Non-technical 1-2 night backpacking w dogs and kids - Escalante-ish area in April? Trip Planning 14
A 1st time backpacker in Escalante, UT Trip Planning 13
Stephanie B Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument - Kanab Area Hiking & Camping 2
Titans Permits car camping Grand Staircase Escalante NM? Trip Planning 6
Devin Ashby The Lower Gulch - Escalante (Seeking info on the route) Trip Planning 14
R Escalante River / Calf Creek Falls Current Conditions Trip Planning 10
cmgz Boulder Mail Trail - Escalante Trailhead to Mamie Creek Hiking & Camping 1
W Escalante River Backpacking Trip Planning 12
ADubs Looking for info from anyone who has done the Egypt loop and exited via 25mile wash (Escalante). Trip Planning 3
swmalone Rain, Mud, and Wind....First Trip to Escalante Area Hiking & Camping 16
canadug Current Escalante and Cap Reef Road conditons Trip Planning 17
JDWalters Access to Escalante River/Lake Powell near Cathedral in the Desert Trip Planning 7
regehr Escalante Jan 19 2019 Trip Planning 2
Jazzy Joe Looking for Escalante Area Short Backpacking Suggestions Early Spring Trip Planning 21
Nick Me love me some Escalante!! Backpacking 24
LarryBoy Water source information - Escalante/CRNP area Trip Planning 14