Escalante Area Wanderings: Zebra and Tunnel

piper01

I've been lurking on BCP for quite a while now. Everybody's trips reports have helped me immensely in planning my past few trips, so it's time I finally give back and post some trip reports of my own!

I spent 8 days exploring the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument this October. I had already hiked Lower Calf Creek Falls on a previous trip and knew I had to come back for more! I planned an ambitious hiking itinerary, with the assumption that I'd end up dropping a hike or two in favor of some scenic driving along highway 12. Amazingly, I ended up spending 7 consecutive days hiking. Not bad for spending 40 hours a week at a desk!

Day 1
Thursday morning Oct 16 I flew into St. George, did some shopping, then was on my way.

IMG_2223.JPG

I made it to the Hole in the Rock Road a little before sunset, then it was a race against the dwindling light to find a place to camp. I ended up setting up in one of the large open areas most of the way down Harris Wash Road, overlooking some fall colors along the wash.

IMG_2420_view from camp.JPG

I was the first one at the Zebra trailhead the next morning, though a pair of hikers arrived as I was getting ready to leave. Assuming I kept up a steady pace, I would have the slot to myself for a bit. I enjoyed the peaceful walk along Harris Wash. The weather was perfect for hiking- not too hot and not too cold. Soon the cross-bedding began!

IMG_2242.JPG

Of course I took time to examine some details along the route, like these ripples in the sand:
IMG_2245.JPG

And these small faults:
IMG_2249.JPG

Soon I arrived at the entrance to Zebra. I knew there was a good possibility that it would be filled with water, and it was.

IMG_2253.JPG

How deep was it going to be? I set my pack down on the island, changed out of my hiking boots into my neoprene socks, zipped off my pants legs, then re-donned my pack. I took one tentative step then another. It soon reached knee depth, then quickly began lapping at the base of my shorts. Brrrrrr!

IMG_2259_Zebra.JPG

I retreated back to dry land and debated how to proceed. I knew there was a pair of people behind me, but I judged I had about a 20 min lead on them. I was going to be wearing those pants for much of the next week and I didn't want them to stink like stagnant water, so (awkward internet confession time!) I decided to remove my shorts, leave my pack, and plunge back in, carefully holding my camera over my head. Hopefully nobody was watching!

IMG_2267_Moqui Eye.JPG

I felt my way along one tentative step at a time. The water finally topped out at hip-depth on me.
IMG_2268_Zebra.JPG

After what felt like an hour, but was probably only 5 minutes, I reached the dry end of the slot and the Zebra colors. This is what I came for; the water was just a minor inconvenience!

IMG_2323_Zebra.JPG

As I finished up taking pictures I heard voices and splashing. I quickly plunged back into the water so they didn't catch me in my underwear. :frantic:

I made it back to my pack with minimal embarrassment (to myself at least- sorry if you were the other hikers!), changed back into my hiking boots, then headed down Harris Wash towards Tunnel. After a short hike, I arrived.

Tunnel_entrance.PNG

Tunnel was a bit disappointing after Zebra- short, dark, and not colorful, but I found a few reflections.
IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

I had plenty of sunlight left, so I headed up along the Tunnel drainage to explore the area above Zebra. I found the land of Moqui marbles.
IMG_2395.JPG

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Moqui marble? One, two, *crunch*. OW!
IMG_2400.JPG

I intended to explore for a few more hours, but I sat down for a break and *sluuurp* my Camelback was empty. How did I go through 3L already?!? I still had water left in my Nalgene bottle for the hike back, so I just enjoyed these small dunes for a while. Then I threaded my way back down and joined in the flow of people streaming back to the trailhead. It was a good start to my trip!

IMG_2402.JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2261.JPG
    IMG_2261.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 13
I love all the different textures and reflections.

You've got a great trip report style! So glad you posted this. Great photos too!

Thanks Nick! I have more reports on the way as soon as I can choose which pictures to show. That's the hardest part; I want to share everything I saw!