Escalante Area Wanderings: Brimstone and Spooky

piper01

Day 5
For once I woke up and broke down camp on Egypt Bench Road at a reasonable hour! I had a leisurely drive down Hole in the Rock Road and was the third vehicle to park at the Dry Fork slots trailhead.

I started the descent toward the wash.
IMG_3038ss.PNG

And soon arrived at the wide Coyote Gulch.
IMG_3044.JPG
I decided to explore Brimstone first and visit Peek-A-Boo and Spooky on the return hike. I hiked down Coyote Gulch, admiring the walls as they narrowed in one area. I found the large chokestone easy to climb down.
IMG_3050.JPG

After about half an hour of walking, I arrived at the intersection with Brimstone Canyon.
IMG_3052ss.PNG
I found some complex iron staining on one of the canyon walls.
IMG_3055ss.PNG
Was somebody playing on the dune?
IMG_3057.JPG
I also found these crazy faults.
IMG_3060ss.PNG
Finally, the canyon walls started to narrow; I had arrived at the Brimstone slot. I left my pack in the shade of the canyon wall so I could more easily thread my way through the narrow twists and turns.
IMG_3064.JPG
Brimstone was a dark place, which made it difficult to take good pictures in. I didn't encounter any challenging chokestones to surpass; the difficulty came from contorting my body to pass between the walls.
IMG_3083.JPG
IMG_3090.JPG
IMG_3096.JPG
IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG
IMG_3115.JPG

IMG_3118.JPG

Suddenly I came to a beam of light shining on the slot floor...that was occupied by a snake. I assumed it was a pygmy rattlesnake and gave it as wide a berth as I could between the narrow walls, stemming high above it.
IMG_3125.JPG

A minute or two later, the canyon walls opened up into a large chamber. I poked around a bit then carefully picked a spot to sit down and rest, making sure not to sit on a snake.
IMG_3129.JPG

The canyon constricted back into a slot at the other end of the room but, rattled from seeing the snake, I opted not to try to wedge myself through. I carefully picked my way out of the slot and hiked back up Coyote Gulch. I decided to visit Spooky next so I wouldn't have to backtrack to Peek-A-Boo.
IMG_3131.JPG

Spooky started out promising with this branch wedged high up between the walls.
IMG_3135_Spooky.JPG
But, except for this small natural bridge at the end, I found it disappointing in comparison to Brimstone. I didn't linger nearly as long in it or take as many pictures.
IMG_3152.JPG

Arriving at the end of the slot, I discovered why most people do a loop hike with Peek-A-Boo first and ending with Spooky: a large chokestone that is much easier to go down than up. Thanks, gravity! Forgetting to take a picture, I packed my camera away and considered skipping the loop in favor of backtracking down the slot. After a few attempts though, I was able to heave my backpack up on the rock (where I could still retrieve it if I was unable to hoist myself up), then managed to wriggle my way up. I emerged, victorious, into a wide wash.
IMG_3154.JPG

I followed a cairned route, intending to drop down into Peek-A-Boo.
IMG_3158_cairn man.JPG

And kept following the cairns, and following them, and following them, without pulling out my map. Somehow, I missed Spooky and ended up coming down the Dry Fork. It was a pretty route, just not one I had intended to take!
IMG_3160.JPG
Somebody had enjoyed tossing rocks into a mud puddle. Splat!
IMG_3162_Dry Fork.JPG
The Dry Fork Narrrows
IMG_3164.JPG

I debated going to see Peek-A-Boo, despite the fading light. My choice was cemented when a family with a young child came down the trail on the quest for P-a-B. I decided to leave it to them and returned to my vehicle.

Tonight I was leaving the Hole in the Rock Road and moving over to Spencer Flats Road. I stopped for a quick picture at the overlook on highway 12, then continued the short drive to the turnoff.
IMG_3169ss.PNG

The sunset that night was the best one I saw all trip.
IMG_3172.JPG

I ended up following it down the road in quest of a better view as the sky turned pink, purple, and orange, then slowly faded to black.
IMG_3176_sunset Spencer Flats Rd.JPG

Sweet trip. It's crazy how many people hit those first two slots but don't take the time to explore Brimstone, which in my opinion is the best slot of the 3. I have never seen rattlesnakes though, I will keep that in mind next time we are heading down....