Escalante area - location?

Writhdar

saw this picture in a brochure for trips guided by the Copelands (WOW books authors). I am curious as to where it is. One thought was the Micro Death Hollow "sneak route" but the hike description doesn't seem to fit.

upload_2017-4-10_9-39-7.jpeg

hike name --- Rock Whisperer
loop hike, 7 to 7.5 hours vertical: 1180-ft loss & gain

their description --- “No way we can hike down this,” you think. So you turn around, expecting to see us nodding our heads, solemnly confirming your assessment. But we’ll be smiling, and you’ll realize: “Whoa! We really are gonna hike downthis!” And together, we’ll do it without drama— assuming you’re an experienced, competent scrambler and strong hiker. Our route slowly, sanely unlocks the puzzle, granting us passage into the Escalante River Canyon. After debooting and crossing the river, we’ll ascend an old, stock trail to the base of a massive dome. From there we’ll work our way to another creek crossing, then sneak through a narrow joint—impossible to see until you’re upon it. Beyond, we’ll see swirling, red, pink and white cross-bedded sandstone, and visit an historic cabin. We’ll cross the Escalante River yet again. On the far bank, we’ll admire an entrancing rock-art site before snaking along an ingenious route back to our trailhead.

Attachments

• Whisperer route image.jpg
    Whisperer route image.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 20
My initial guess was going to be Micro Death Hollow route, but... description kinda sounds like Boulder Creek area. "Historic Cabin" seems to limit the possibilities, but still hard to say.

I'm betting Boulder Creek area as well. I can't remember but I think there's an old cabin down that way in Canyoneering 3. And there's a panel sort of on the way out after a possible Boulder Creek crossing.

Thank you - just back from Capitol Reef (finally found n0n-exposed route into upper Waterpocket Canyon) and now able to reply. The hike is described as a day hike so if in the Boulder Creek area - roughly Boulder Ck - Deer Ck - Escalante River - The Gulch region, where do you think it starts? Perhaps someplace near where Steve Allen's "Middle Boulder Creek" hike in Canyoneering 3 finishes?

This had me checking out the Copelands Utah hiking trips webpage http://www.hikingcamping.com/Utah2017.php.
Lots of hikes there with fanciful names, some of them easily enough deciphered as far as destination, but not necessarily the exact route. Although it's not the route that the OP is wondering about, the Death Hollow sneak route IS on their list of hikes, as are Phipps Arch and "the Volcano", under different names. Although I find their writing style to be flaky at times, we used the WOW book quite a bit during our early phase of Utah desert hiking, and I would certainly recommend "Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies" to visitors to our home range as a means to maximize their time here. FWIW- the Copelands did face a bit of criticism for their Kananaskis (Park and multi use area west of Calgary) guidebook, for maybe being a bit free and easy with "borrowing" off trail route descriptions from another long established series of guidebooks.
Back on track- Having done most of the established routes in the Boulder-Escalante area, that list of hikes had me looking at Google Earth, as we had noticed on previous visits that there is plenty of opportunity for random wandering in the area.

I think the Copeleand's WOW Utah guidebook is excellent - introduced me to a large number of wonderful hikes.

As for upper WPC, you need to be familiar with the Capitol Gorge to Pleasant Creek route. The route down into upper WPC is by a gully just past & above the obvious spire - this spire is visible from the Notom Road. It isn't anywhere near as tall as it looks from afar (I would guess 40 - 60' high max.). It is above the normal route but very obvious. The gully has a fallen tree at its head. Once past brush, swing left a bit around a tiny ridge. Continue a bit to where there are steep "steps" with exposure on the left or - go a bit further to the right and it is less exposed - almost a walk-down.