Eclipse Photos

Parma

@parma26
It's eclipse day, let's see all your photos, both good ones and crappy ones like mine will most likely be.
Be sure to say where and when you took the photo too.

Cool. I won't be taking photos as I didn't buy a filter and I don't want to ruin my sensor. I may take some shadow photos, though. Excited to see what everyone else comes up with - I bet they're all taken at the same angle. :)

Shot in Murray, Utah 11:33 AM MST at 95% totality today.

20914582_10155742520279456_3632206739914306664_n.jpg

It was harder than I thought it would be to get tree-filtered shadow photos, as there was a breeze, but here are a couple - note you can see how far along the eclipse was by the shape of the crescents - this was at around 12 minutes before it reached its peak at 89% here in W. Colorado. The first is on the ground, the second the side of the house. Each gap in the leaves acts as a pinhole camera. This happens on sunny days also, but you don't notice as the round sun fills in the gaps.

IMG_2201.JPG IMG_2202.JPG

Last edited:
Tree Filtered shadow photos....new to me. Thanks for sharing. Same goes for the traditional pictures. Well done!

Now don't have any photos but a Total Eclipse Report. Now I was up in Grand Teton NP, and up along the Gros Ventre River viewing and watching the eclipse. Now where I happened to be was right close to the very center of the path of the eclipse with 100% totality. And this is the first total solar eclipse I have ever experienced. It was Absolutely Incredible!!! Now as for myself, I cannot put it into words, but simply Incredible! It was interesting but selected an area where I would be by myself and with some trees and bushes nearby. The birds were singing and active both before and after the eclipse. But near and during the totality of the event .... they all became sooo quiet like they do at night. Some of the stars came out also. The event lasted over two minutes of complete totality and was simply incredibly magnificent. Nearby along the Gros Ventre Road, the road was lined with vehicles and people. But I had found a little place where could experience the event all by my lonesome. The darkness was interesting. But could see on the horizon in the distance, 360 degrees around, lighter sky in the distance near the horizon with kinda like twilight, but with where I was in the cone of darkness by the event. And the beauty of the eclipse was amazing. Now experiencing the totality of the event with everything, do think that photos and videos cannot do justice. Again it was simply incredible.

Wishing Everyone the Best!

And the beauty of the eclipse was amazing. Now experiencing the totality of the event with everything, do think that photos and videos cannot do justice. Again it was simply incredible.

Wishing Everyone the Best!

Super desciption, makes me wish I'd seen the totality. Thanks for the report!

I was showing off the eclipse in a program at the park so couldn't do much photography but got a few neat ones.

Shadows effected through a juniper
--7.jpg

Then I had a solar filter for our telescope to play with. It meant we could see features on a much different scale than through glasses. Mountains, valleys, and craters make the inner crescent jagged. I held the filter in front of my camera before and after the program.

--2.jpg --5.jpg

This is a crop of that second shot. I caught sunspots through my camera! Practicing the day before I'd seen these spots and wondered what it would be like seeing them and the eclipse. Through the telescope we watched one disappear and then this string appear. These spots are close in scale to the size of Earth.

--6.jpg

I got a couple of photos, but in the end I wish I had listened to the "experts" and not tried to photograph the totality. 2:30 minutes goes by really fast :)

Way more people than I expected at this view point on the Cherohala Skyway (I've never seen more than one other car in the lot before). It made for a bit of a party atmosphere and everyone was polite/friendly
2017-08-21%2B14.07.19.jpg

My cellphone and eclipse glasses, the clouds were making everyone nervous
2017-08-21%2B13.31.36.jpg

SLR and eclipse glasses
eclipse27.JPG

cool shadows
2017-08-21%2B14.25.41.jpg

crop sensor and 105mm zoom, tiny sun
eclipse37.JPG

There is a short video on my blog if you want to see the sky get dark and hear a bunch of people cheer (I'd post it here, but I can't figure that out). https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/08/eclipse.html

Here are a couple of mine in low resolution... Shot at the Kansas/Nebraska border North of Manhattan, Kansas. Shot between 1:04 and 1:07, If you couldn't guess that..lol. Shot with a Sony A6000, and the Sony 55-210mm lens, and a variable ND filter.

IMG_8546.JPG IMG_8549.JPG

view

Last edited: