Echo, Joan & Gem Lakes - Uintas

Nick

-
With the exception of the BMT in January and some Wingate Wandering in early March, I've been noticeably absent from the backpacking subforum this year. Not because I didn't want to, it just got shuffled to the back behind the work hikes that took all of my hiking energy and the boat camping trips which have become something I've really enjoyed in between.

Last week it dawned on me that I needed to get at least one night in the high country before the snow flies, so @slc_dan and I made plans to head to the Uintas. I'm not exactly in the physical condition for backpacking right now. My knee has deteriorated so badly that I have to 'reset it' several times per day. An excruciatingly painful process that is quickly leading me to my fourth knee surgery later this fall. So with that in mind, I picked a destination that could be as short or as long as we wanted: Echo Lake.

Echo is most famous for being one of the few places in Utah that holds coveted Golden Trout. They've been around in this basin since the 70's, but in the last few years, the DWR has actually been stocking them here. Echo can be accessed directly with a HC 4WD vehicle but the ride is pretty rough. The combination of easy access and gold makes it a popular destination.

We arrived at Echo mid-morning on a Saturday. We didn't see a lot of people on the Murdock Basin road so I thought it would be pretty desolate. I love post-Labor Day in the Uintas. But to our surprise, there were actually quite a few people fishing at Echo. None of them were very friendly so we decided to just walk the shoreline and keep going to the lakes above Echo that are much more difficult to access. The light that morning was awesome with dramatic clouds and yellowing autumn grass.

echo-lake-3.jpg

echo-lake-2.jpg

echo-lake-4.jpg
We worked our way around the lake and then up a steep slope. The entire slope heading to Joan and Gem lakes looks like it is lined with cliffs from below. The terrain in between is very steep.
echo-lake-5.jpg

Dan and Sage in the first cliff break we used.
echo-lake-6.jpg

Echo Lake from above. echo-lake-7.jpg

The final cliff break was more difficult than the first. It was a long, solid wall. Dan went up here but I decided to poke around for an easier spot. Turns out I should have gone with him as I ended up coming back to it anyway. It was a little tricky solo getting Sage and my pack up. We went up the crack behind the big bush by Sage.
echo-lake-8.jpg

Looking down from the access crack. There are much easier ways to get up further south.
echo-lake-9.jpg

The next lake we stopped at was Gem. Once again, fantastic light and clouds were abundant.
echo-lake-10.jpg

And the fishing wasn't terrible either. Dan immediately hooked this interesting tiger on his second cast. At least I think it's a tiger. I've never seen one quite like it. There were also some smaller brookies around.
echo-lake-12.jpg echo-lake-13.jpg

Next we wandered over to Joan Lake. It is much larger and had some nice campsites, so we setup our tents and had some lunch. After failing to catch fish, a storm moved in and we huddled under some trees. That huge white dog is named Oquirrh. His parents were nearby fishing on a day hike and he liked to come visit us. He almost looked like a mountain goat from a distance.
echo-lake-14.jpg

Finally the storm broke, but not for long. Another round came through forcing us back to shelter until sometime around 5 or 6 when the sun came out for a little while longer before setting over Mount Cardwell.
echo-lake-15.jpg

Awesome reflections as the storm moved out.
echo-lake-16.jpg

Oquirrh with @slc_dan for scale.
echo-lake-17.jpg echo-lake-18.jpg

We did not get many fish at Joan. One to be exact. But they were out there.
echo-lake-19.jpg

That night we had a big storm move through around 3am. Lightning and thunder crashing down right on top of us. That always scares me a bit. I guess getting fried in your tent in the wilderness wouldn't be the worst way to go though. The next day there wasn't a cloud in the sky until we started the hike out. We tried to find the easier route down this time.

This shot is of the outlet stream of Joan. It cuts through a really cool gorge before dropping down through the cliffs to Echo Lake. The easiest access is just south of this.
echo-lake-20.jpg echo-lake-21.jpg

We finally found a cairned route down and started following it toward Echo.
echo-lake-22.jpg

But then we lost it so we just went for the steep chutes and avoided cliffs as necessary.
echo-lake-23.jpg

Very, very steep.
echo-lake-24.jpg

After the grueling one mile walk back to the truck, we were headed back down the rough Murdock Basin Road. Most of the aspens were still green, but there were some nice pockets of color here and there.
echo-lake-25.jpg echo-lake-26.jpg echo-lake-27.jpg

It was a fine little adventure to say goodbye to the high country for the year. Hopefully the next knee surgery will let me do a lot more of these next year. Now it's time to go rest my knee on the boat for a while. :)

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

For a short trip you definitely had your share of adventure. It surprises me that people were unfriendly. Maybe they, as well, thought no one else would be out and much to their chagrin they had to share the landscape. Or maybe, they were all just unfriendly people.

Anyway, good TR. I'm jealous that you had such great texture with your pics (i.e. clouds with blue sky). We went to Jackson a couple weeks ago and it rained the whole time...almost literally. We never saw the sun and low hanging dark clouds surrounded us the entire time.

Sorry about the knee too. I'm getting my shoulder surgerized in the Winter. Happy cutting!

Salud!

It surprised me too. We did run into a friendly couple but other encounters were just a bit odd. We actually ran into a guy who immediately fed Dan's dog beef jerky and then scolded us for allowing the dog to approach him and to 'keep that dog away'. I can't help but laugh looking back on it now. Haha.

Good luck on your shoulder. Winter is a good time to get that stuff done though.

Fun trip! It was odd how people were unfriendly around Echo, but good for us there were other lakes around.

It is a bummer about the knee, hopefully this surgery helps, instead of hurts.

That Murdock Basin road was BAD! The Rock Warrior handled it no problem though.

So beautiful out there. Can't wait to finally see it for myself. So it looks like the leaves are already turning out there huh? When do you guys predict foliage will be in full swing in the Uintas?

Great report on an area I know nothing about. Classic Uinta scenery. I am amazed at how tough-guy-esque @slc_dan looks in his profile picture, but then in this photo with the fish he could almost pass for a 12 year old. I"m sure the same is true for all of us - no disrespect intended, just an interesting observation on how changing a few details changes apperances.

Great report on an area I know nothing about. Classic Uinta scenery. I am amazed at how tough-guy-esque @slc_dan looks in his profile picture, but then in this photo with the fish he could almost pass for a 12 year old. I"m sure the same is true for all of us - no disrespect intended, just an interesting observation on how changing a few details changes apperances.

Since I'm turning 30 next week, I'll take all the youngin' looks I can get. :)

I was up at Naturalist Basin from Thursday through Saturday. We camped at Jordan Lake. I will be putting up my TR and photos shortly. Only time up to the Uintah's this year :(

Great report Nick! It looks like a beautiful weekend up there. I was hoping to fit in a trip to the Uintas last weekend, but then I got a kitten instead. I may give it a go this weekend since it might be the last chance I have before the temps dip below my comfort level.