Easy hike for first time backpacker?

Jason

So, I'm trying to get my lovely wife to start backpacking, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an easy hike in or nearby the Salt Lake Valley, that I could take her on a nice casual overnight-er...

So, I'm trying to get my lovely wife to start backpacking, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an easy hike in or nearby the Salt Lake Valley, that I could take her on a nice casual overnight-er...
What's your timetable? Are you aiming to get out soon, or wait until it's warm in the high country?

I'd like to do a few shorter hikes ASAP. To get her ready for the Uintas this summer...

I'm really bad with the wasatch. I've always felt more compelled to drive a couple hours than deal with the crowds and anti-dog regulations. But I quite enjoyed the mid-week overnighter to Lake Blanche I did last year. There's probably a couple others like that you could do. Red Pine comes to mind. But all of those will be snowed in for a while longer. I think any overnight designed to make a beginner love backpacking right now would need to happen a few hours south of SLC in the warm spring goodness of the Colorado Plateau. Save the mountains for June. :)

I'm really bad with the wasatch. I've always felt more compelled to drive a couple hours than deal with the crowds and anti-dog regulations. But I quite enjoyed the mid-week overnighter to Lake Blanche I did last year. There's probably a couple others like that you could do. Red Pine comes to mind. But all of those will be snowed in for a while longer. I think any overnight designed to make a beginner love backpacking right now would need to happen a few hours south of SLC in the warm spring goodness of the Colorado Plateau. Save the mountains for June. :)

Yeah, after a bunch if research, I'm inclined to agree. Thanks for the input though. I guess we'll have to drive south a bit.

Particularly for a beginner. You can explore on a lot of flat area.

My son and I hiked Adams Canyon in Layton today. There was only a little snow near the waterfall. It's only a 3.6 mile hike, but has enough elevation gain to give you a good workout. There are a couple campsites with fire rings along that trail, and you're right by Holmes Creek, so you'd have water. It's a popular trail, so you wouldn't get much of a wilderness vibe, but it would be really easy to do an overnighter after work just to give her a feel for what it's like to wear a backpack.

The north Wasatch canyons are pretty meh in my opinion. Maybe that's because I grew up on the Davis County bench. Cheatgrass and rattlesnakes just don't get me motivated for backpacking. Of course, once you can get up higher the story's different. Bountiful Peak and environs are good places for beginners to explore.

Okay, need advice for a trip with my wife, 25-27 May... Trying to avoid the desert heat. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also, anyone know how long the snowpack hangs out up around Hellroaring Lake in ID?

I'm thinking Hell Roaring will still be under a lot of snow unless they had a really bad snow year. I was up there in late June last year and it was clear but up the hill at Imogene had just lost it's ice and there was tons of snow around. I'm not sure what their snowpack is like this year but I bet River could offer some insight on that.

I'll post more in a bit on other possible suggestions.

I haven't been up there yet this year. This is the time of the year for the Owyhees. I know Redfish is ice free. I would think it's still early for Hell Roaring.

The Escalante River Gorge would be a good bet. Fairly high in elevation so cooler than a lot of places. It's also a nice, easy hike for a beginner. Best done as a point-to-point but also good as an out and back. It was my first backpack ever.