Dude, You're Screwed Utah Episode

I watched the show, though I wish I was familiar enough with the area to debunk what I'm sure was a bunch of B.S. :D They kept showing a map that correctly showed a town (Escalante), but it also showed a town northeast of the drop-in point (which looked to be somewhere in the Waterpocket Fold) and another town to the southeast where the Escalante joins Lake Powell.

When the guy started climbing out of the canyon to the southwest, following human footprints, his buddies were commenting that it was a bad move and that their map showed there was nothing up there. I'd say heading toward HITRR is anybody's best bet of getting to civilization in that area!

I just watched it, i'm a sucker for stuff like this - i love trying to figure out where stuff was filmed haha There are a lot of guys on here who know that area better than me, seemed like they'd taken a lot of "creative licence" with their maps & descriptions though!

001.jpg

What town is that NE of the drop?! And a "River Town" towards the end of HITRR?! I'd take a lot of their locations with a pinch of salt, they may not even have dropped him where the map suggests. And as a London resident, there's no way that opening sequence was shot here haha. A fun show overall, if not totally accurate!

I was just kind of watching the show, and when I glanced over and saw "river town", I knew something was up! Looks like the other 'town' is somewhere by the burr trail.

one of the cast members. matt graham, is from here in boulder utah.i know him rather well. he used to work at the boulder outdoor survival school but has been doing solo courses for quite a few years now. i can't find anywhere i can watch it online….maybe for the better. lol

I was at Kiva Koffee House when I met on of the crew members of this show. He said they dropped him in the Circle Cliffs but the shelter his friends were watching him in was just down stream of the Hwy 12 bridge.

bahahahah...these shows...
Do they not think people will see how blatantly off they are?
Yeah most of the general public, but come on...It's like when Bear Grylls came to Kanab.

Bwahahaa! I watched the episode. What an enormous pile of crap that show is. Aside from all the not-so-obvious stuff, I can't believe they actually try to make people believe they picked up the dude in Europe and put a hood over his head all the way to Utah and that he had no idea where he was. Hahaha!

So the first canyon is absolutely Little Death Hollow. They start off the show midway down where the good narrows begin. I could match up a lot of photos from my trip there. His first camp was in the lower section where it starts to open up. Thanks for building a fire in there, jackass. From there he went down Horse Canyon to the Escalante.

It looks to me like the part where he met the 'locals' was near or at the Harris Wash trailhead, so obviously far, far away from where he was on the Escalante. Too bad he didn't keep going to the 'river town' in the middle of Lake Powell.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
regehr Dude Where's My Arch Hiking & Camping 8
scatman The Dude Abides - The Dude Benchmark - January 30, 2022 Hiking & Camping 17
B Southern Utah March suggestions? Trip Planning 5
desertvic Howdy from rural Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Ugly Floating Island- Utah Trip Planning 8
Normie Invite Looking for shuttle partner -- two trips in Southern Utah Meet Up (Members Only) 5
J Identify the spot Utah: I don't know where it is General Discussion 2
BeardoMcGrath Oh look yet another Utah conditions thread: mid May 2023 Trip Planning 9
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
ww.joedirt.do Hello from Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Martyn Hi from Hurricane Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
B Good trips in Southern Utah given current conditions Trip Planning 26
saltybird SE Utah NPs in April Trip Planning 13
C Grand Gulch Cedar Mesa Utah 11 Day Backpack October 2022 Backpacking 10
T Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon Trip Planning 65
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
regehr recent Utah meteorite General Discussion 0
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
Rudolf_The_Red Hello from BFE, Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
H location of thirteen faces-horse canyon Utah Hiking & Camping 4
TrailScot Dripping Canyon to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa, Utah - March 2022 Hiking & Camping 7
H Horse Canyon needles district Utah Off Road 0
S Howdy from Utah!! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
D jackets found in southern Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
kwc Southern Utah Accommodations Question General Discussion 10
C Utah Mountains in Late May Trip Planning 12
CodyL Southern Utah in January Backpacking 14
T Southern Utah Backpacking ideas for MLK Weekend? Trip Planning 21
U greetings from southwest Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Jumper84 Hello from Kearns, Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Parma The Best Arch in Utah is... General Discussion 20
Jazerrad Parunweap Canyon / The Barracks (Utah) Trip Planning 4
TrektheWorld Utah Trip - last weekend of October 2021 Meet Up (Members Only) 2
garyhost Cedar Mesa Utah Trip. Conditions? Water? Trip Planning 8
GramaNana Newbie Overnight with REI gear - Farmington, Utah May 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
GramaNana Seeking Short Overnights in Utah General Discussion 5
AnneMarieO Food protection in SE Utah? General Discussion 2
GramaNana Hello from Utah - future GWT hiker Noobs: Introduce yourself! 11
norwegianxplorer In the shadow of the Henry Mountains, Utah Backpacking 2
Windy What is this? Geoglyphs in utah Hiking & Camping 5
Rockskipper New Utah State Park General Discussion 0
regehr 2001: A Space Odyssey in Utah General Discussion 142
Nethos Southern Utah - Late October & Early November 2020 Trip Planning 16
Mikjik86 Utah loosening restrictions? General Discussion 4
seekinglost Desolation Canyon, Utah... Any info? Trip Planning 24