Dropping your tires PSI

Nurrgle

Feet on the ground, head in the clouds
So my last trip out, I blew two tires in my Xterra, ( gotta love the factory tires), When I got them all fixed up, it was suggested that I reduce the pressure in my tires to around 20 in order to get better traction and prevent blowouts. I have been tooling around the backcountry all over the place since I was a child and have never had a problem till now.

Do you drop the PSI in your tires when you head out? I am thinking I'll give it a try on my next trip, but i don't want to buy a lighter powered compressor and I don't like the idea of cruising down the road on 20 psi until I see a gas station.

I never air down. I bought a better than average compressor that connects directly to the battery in case I ever have to because of deep sand, but I've never had to. For my BFG All Terrains, they specifically told me to leave them at 32. FWIW, I have never had a problem with them and I drive like a bat out of hell at times. :devil:

I never air down but I do always keep one of these in my car and make its fully charged before every trip.

51CMCep491L._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CL1OPC/?tag=backcountrypo-20

If you want a smoother ride and better flotation in sand and mud airing down will definitely help.

That said, I never air down. I deal with the rougher ride (disconnecting my swaybar helps with that) and my BFG Mud Terrains are tougher than normal street tires, so I've never had an issue with puncturing one yet.

I also carry a plug kit and air compressor...just in case...

Since I used to do a lot of rock crawling and a bunch of rather long distance multi day off road trips I learned the art of airing down. Better ride, larger footprint of your tire is on the ground making it less likely you will get stuck.. That said it isn't going to stop you from getting flats, things will still puncture your tire.

Getting the compressor sounds like a good idea as well as the patch kit. I just put the Nitto Graplers on so I am hoping I shouldn't have to much trouble in the future.

I used to drive a little Datsun pickup as far as I could get it into the backcountry and never had a problem. Now I buy a "Off-road" SUV and on my first trip all hell breaks loose. Someone must have been watching over me and that Datsun.

when I had rental cars and street tires I usually aired down, especially on very sandy trails. It helped a lot and was a lot smoother to drive.
I usually have an compressor along with me on my trips and needed it a few times.
When I rent a Wrangler or Rubicon they usually have All Terrains and I'm usually good and never need to air down.
My own XTerra here in Buffalo still has the street tires, but usually it's okay for my area. I once aired down a little bit because of the deep snow and the less traction I had.
When I move to Utah next year I will definitely switch to All Terrain tires, because I hate it to have the regular street tires on dirt roads. They are not made for trails like this, that's why there are street tires :)

Why does airing down would reduce flats? I would think the opposite might be true. Don't think even aired down tyres are flexible enough to deform round something that would give you a flat and hard tyres tend to bounce over them. Suppose it depends how soft the rubber is. My experience on motorcycles is that when I run softer pressures I get a lot more flats (and not just pinches) but that's with tubed tyres so probably doesn't translate. Haven't ever aired down on the company truck for tours.

I just put the Nitto Graplers on so I am hoping I shouldn't have to much trouble in the future.
That will probably solve your problem right there. I've been running Terra Grapplers on the F-250 for four years now and the only flat tire I've had was due to a bad valve stem, and I've never aired down.