DIY Candle Lantern

How about a homemade version from a mason jar and some wire? And if you want ultra light use a baby food jar.

http://putitinajar.com/crafts/mason_jar_lantern/

That's a great idea! I'd be a little scared of it breaking in a backpack though. Those UCO Micro lanterns like the one above collapse so that the glass is contained, but I still somehow managed to break that orange one from last year. I have a new green one for this year of impending fire restrictions. :)

So maybe find a small tin can slightly bigger than jar you are using. Like a Christmas tin. You know those light weight cheap ones and put glass jar in with a layer of toilet paper. Double use if needed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Or plastic jar like JIF peanutbutter jar

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Another good idea! Although the ultralight gear fiend in me would probably stick with the UCO. $15, less than 4 oz and no effort on my part is hard to beat. :D

That sounds like a challenge. In 30 min I assembled my lantern. It is free with exception of buying a real tealight candle and weighs in just under 8oz. I will take it to work and get an official to the 3rd decimal place weight!

My lantern doubles as a cup or bowl and stores matches to light candle along with vaseline soaked cotton balls for a fire. Plus a bug catcher should I find an interesting critter along my hike. Glass is thicker then your delicate lantern and I bet won't break as easy. Wrapped in one paper towel that can be used to help start fire or toilet paper.

The label on this jar came off in one piece and left nothing on the outside!

20130627_074400.jpg

All the items for my DIY project

20130627_074444.jpg

Putting it together
20130627_074536.jpg

20130627_074621.jpg

Weight.

20130627_074731.jpg

So I am a cheapskate especially after buying Spencer's hammock. I will take the extra 4 oz.

So what else does your candle lantern do? :D

After hot gluing the strike strip to the top of the lid. I decided I would carefully cut it to fit inside the lid. That way if it is unexpectedly dunked in water everything but paper towel will stay dry.

Okay, that's pretty freaking sweet! But I'm lazy and more obsessed with that extra 4 oz so it's $15 to get the pre-made one for me! :)

So did you try it out this weekend? Does it get enough air flow?

Yes I did use it. Thought about taking a picture but was too lazy. It gave us light so yeah airflow sufficient. Mostly I just had fun making it. Even used the honey jar to drink a glass of water and the paper towel to bandage a really bad blister.

...very cool DIY, blue! :)

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X+ mit Tapatalk 4 Beta