Deseret Peak

regehr

I first hiked Deseret Peak as an out-and-back on the main (Mill Fork) trail, which starts at the Loop Campground near Grantsville, UT. One-way driving time from SLC is about an hour. It's a beautiful half-day hike with great views. You could easily make a day out of it if you left late, spent more time on the summit, etc.

Yesterday I hiked Deseret Peak going up the Mill Fork trail and down the Pockets Fork trail, which is slightly longer and has a bit of up and down, plus a few steep spots. The thing I hadn't known is that the Pockets Fork trail is much more scenic. It's really incredible -- on a par with the Timpooneke Trail or anything else in the Wasatch. Over at Summitpost there's a description of the loop and here's a map (stolen from there):
56104.JPG

I climbed Des Peak in just under 2 hours and moseyed down in about 2.5 hours. The mountain was surprisingly crowded and I ended up sharing the summit with four other groups (note to self: avoid Saturdays in the future). I'm guessing that the vast majority of the hiking usage in the Stansbury Range is on Des Peak; solitude can no doubt be found not far away, for example on North and South Willow Peaks.

On a normal snow year, June 20 would be too early to do this hike in sneakers. This year (and perhaps in any "new normal snow year") this wasn't a problem. A week ago I'd have been happier with poles and a couple weeks ago an axe and boots would have been a good idea.

Looking north at N and S Willow Peaks:
DSC01782.jpg

At the left, the steep headwall of Mill Fork. On the skyline, the main Wasatch Peaks, you can just make out the peaks above Broads Fork, Box Elder, and Timp.
DSC01790.jpg

Not peak wildflower season yet, maybe in a couple of weeks.
DSC01791.jpg

DSC01793.jpg

One of Des Peak's twin couloirs, too melted out now to climb:
DSC01795.jpg

DSC01796.jpg

DSC01802.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

Beautiful scenery on the Skull Valley side of the range, though that area still shows heavy damage from fires a few years ago:
DSC01812.jpg

The tiny blip on the summit is two people standing next to each other:
DSC01820.jpg

I'm a sucker for an aspen forest.
DSC01831.jpg

DSC01839.jpg

This is the view that you totally miss from the Mill Fork trail:
DSC01844.jpg

DSC01849.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful scenery. So this is on the opposite side of SLC as the Wasatch/Uintas right? I remember reading about this hike in my guide books before going out there. What an awesome way to spend 2 hours.

The mountains looking over SLC from the West are the Oquirrhs. Des peak is the high point of the next range over-- the Stansburys.

I'll add that 2 hours only gets you up, not up and down (unless you're a lot faster than me, or have a paraglider).

Looks awesome. I been waiting for the snow to melt so that I can do this hike. You didn't cross any snow at all?

Albeit short, this is one of my favorite hikes in Utah. Your report makes me want to get back there!

One of my favorite hikes I've done too. I did this in the fall. I also did the loop and it really does make for a great perspective. I want to do this again this summer so maybe in a couple weeks I'll go out and summit.

Looks awesome. I been waiting for the snow to melt so that I can do this hike. You didn't cross any snow at all?

A few short snow crossings, but nothing steep or scary, and not even long enough to get my feet (in mesh trail runners) wet. And these'll be gone soon!

Jealous, this has been on my list for a while now. Maybe I can finally make it happen this summer.

We did the full loop on the 18th and were pushing pretty hard, only had a small snack at the top and it still took almost 6 hrs. There were a few steep snow sections on the way down but nothing too scary.

I've hiked deseret peak. This is my husbands favorite place to go. It's beautiful. I hiked to the saddle. Breathtaking.