DeLorme inReach

Aldaron

I got the original Spot when they first came out, and I really liked it. But recently Delorme dropped their partnership with Spot and created the inReach using the Iridium satellites. I wondered why Delorme would drop their partnership with Spot after just a year, so I started watching Spot's website and noticed that they almost never updated anything or even added any new news stories to the site. This got me worried that they weren't remaining as committed to the product as they used to be.

So I started researching the inReach, and I really liked what I saw. Like you, Nick, I wanted the option to send text messages over the system, but I didn't want to give up the option of using the unit as a stand-alone device...the Connect can only send SOS messages without using the phone. It seemed very risky to me to tie my daily check-in messages to the batteries of two devices: the Spot and the phone. If the phone battery died, then I wouldn't be able to check-in while on a solo trip, and people back home would probably get worried enough to send out SAR...I mean, isn't that what I want them to do if I don't check in? Which would mean that if my phone battery died with the Connect, then I would probably have to cut my trip short to avoid an unnecessary SAR.

But the inReach eliminates that problem. It connects to the phone for sending AND receiving text messages, but it can also send three different canned messages in stand-alone mode. People with the link to your inReach web page can send you messages, and they can also "ping" your device to find out where you are. The inReach also receives confirmation from the system that your message is delivered, so you don't have to leave it running for 20 minutes just to be sure the message went out. The inReach app on the phone also comes with the Delorme topo maps...which are very nice. And, of course, the Iridium system is truly worldwide, while the Globalstar system used by the Spot isn't truly worldwide.

The inReach device and the service plans are more expensive...that was the biggest drawback.

But I splurged anyway and deactivated the Spot. So far, I've only used it twice, but I really do like it. Since it gets confirmation of message delivery, it only takes about 1-2 minutes to send a message...that's the part I like the best so far. It grabs a signal very quickly, which is nice. I like the idea that I can send typed text messages, but I suspect I won't use the feature that much, simply because I'm too lazy! I especially like that I can receive messages...I mean, if I'm on a trip and an emergency happens in the "real" world, then it's nice to know my family can get in touch with me.

I'll keep you posted as the summer moves on and I use it more.

Keith

Moderator Note: this discussion began in the Spot Connect thread but I split it into it's own discussion.

The inreach looks awesome! But I don't see how much the plans are, their plans page includes everything but that. Am I missing it somehow? And How are the buttons protected from accidentally getting pushed? It looks like they're pretty vulnerable...

Man, you're right, it wasn't easy to find the prices since they redesigned the site! Besides the price sheet above, here's another page that has the prices and other info:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=32265&section=10820

And, yeah, as Randy said, the SOS button has a lock to prevent it from being accidentally pushed, but the other buttons are uncovered. However, you have to press the power button for several seconds to turn it on, and if you press it longer than the power-on time, then it goes into pairing mode. So I think it would be unlikely that something in your pack would accidentally press the power button for exactly the right amount of time to turn it on. At least I hope so!

But if you're doing tracking then its on all the time. Really curious how well the lock works for SOS button. I wish they would just have a cover for all the buttons. I've accidentally ant the 'custom' message on my spot. Did you not get tracking, Keith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, looking very seriously into jumping ship from the Spot for this DeLorme inReach. Still totally freaked out by the lack of protection on the SOS button though. I guess I need to go to REI and check it out in-person but maybe you can tell me your take, Keith. That little safety switch next to the SOS button looks like it could easily get flipped off if it were in a pack, am I wrong? So if I threw this thing in the top of my pack or in a side pocket like I do with my spot, let it stay on and track, I could totally start sending out messages I don't want going out, right?

Big pic of it for those interested:
delorme-inreach.jpg

And video:
!

The inReach is tempting to me, but will cost a bit more per month. I still have quite a while left of my SPOT service until it's time to renew, so I have time to think about it. Sending and receiving messages would be nice.

I just did a few flips of the SOS safety switch, and I don't think it has any real risk of being accidentally flipped. It's flush with the unit, and it's a pretty tight switch. With the safety on, the SOS button doesn't depress at all.

Now, with tracking turned on and the unit inside your pack, then, yeah, I could certainly foresee the canned message button having a potential for getting accidentally pressed, or the tracking button or power button getting pressed and stopping the tracking. There is no cover or safety for those three buttons.

And while these may not be the most ideal solutions to those potential problems (yeah, covers would be best), here are my potential solutions:

I had the original Spot, and it didn't have any safety or covers at all, even for the SOS button. After reading some horror stories of accidental SAR rescues, I just cut out a small piece of cardboard and put it on a slightly larger piece of masking tape, and put that over the buttons as my own redneck button cover. It did the job and didn't interfere with the operation of the unit...even if it did let everyone know I was from the south!

The other option is to use the included lanyard as a safety attachment to your pack, and use the clip to clip the inReach to the top of your pack, where it would have a better view of the sky, and it wouldn't have much of a risk of the buttons being accidentally pressed.

While I agree that the button covers would be great, I think the features of the inReach make it worth it. My biggest issue was the price, but REI had it on sale and DeLorme had a mail-in rebate so I got the unit for $100 off. I don't know if those are still going on, but I still think the features are worth it if you can afford it. I'm just happy that I don't have to sit there at the trailhead for 20 minutes while all three messages go out, and I get confirmation that the message was received! The texting and the ability to receive texts are just a bonuses for me!

I think I'm sold on the inReach. The buttons bug me but having two-way messaging and hopefully a much higher level of reliability than spot offers would be nice. I think sometimes that the best chance I have of ever having to press the 911 button is because of other people. Not really people with me but groups I run into in places like the Subway. It would be so nice to be able to call for that help without having to completely freak out my entire family. I think my Spot contract is up in Sept or something but I'm just going to pull the trigger on it now I think. Anyone wanna buy a used Spot2? :)

Last week I learned a cool feature of the inReach app: it gives you free access to the DeLorme topo maps. You can download the maps at home, and then have offline access to the maps on the phone. The app doesn't have GPS-type functionality: you can't create waypoints or tracks. But the maps are the best I've seen on the iPhone. I own the TopoUSA maps on my computer, and these appear to be the same maps, including roads, rivers, lakes, and trails.

Anyway, I just thought that might help you pull the trigger!

I was thinking I'd pull the trigger on the inReach before I hit the Highline this week. But then I got a few other things and it was getting hard to justify the money, so I decided to wait. But what happens this morning? An email from Spot telling me I'm due to renew in just two weeks. Time to get an inReach! So I went to the REI today and picked one up. First impressions... this thing is HUUUUGE and heavy! At least compared to my Spot2. And shaped funny too. Kinda having some buyers remorse to be honest. Not sure if the two-way messaging feature is really going to be worth lugging this thing around. It really has kind of a radioshack, science-project build kind of feel to it. The box just seems so generic and inefficient. So yeah, I dunno. Good thing I bought it at REI but I think I'm going to take it on the Highline this week.

how much was the plan for the in reach? i remember checking them out think they were super expensive, especially if you text much.

One cool feature I didn't realize it had. You can send messages back and forth between inReach devices. So if Aldaron and I were to go backpacking and lose eachother, we could basically text back and forth to relocate. Cool.

I was turned off by the size of the thing too, but I'm interested to see how the thing works for you. Might be kind of jealous by the end of the trip.

holy hell, 25 bucks a month! yikes.

i might be interested in your spot2 - i have the original, but the 2 seems to be quite a bit smaller.

holy hell, 25 bucks a month! yikes.

i might be interested in your spot2 - i have the original, but the 2 seems to be quite a bit smaller.

Yeah. Not cheap. I can't see it being feasible for the vast majority of outdoor enthusiasts. But I get out a lot and Audra really likes to be able to see my tracking. That and I have every intention of ramping up the solo trips to a new level in the immediate future. So... I guess it's 25 per month... :(

If I decide to keep this thing, you can have my Spot2 for one thing in trade. We'll talk...

A couple more notes as I've been setting this thing up...

1. It is super fast.

2. How the hell is DeLorme still in business?

3. The UI on the web interface makes me long for a computer running DOS

4. For $25 per month I only get one map to share? Really? So if I want a map that has the ability for people to send me messages and a map that I can give to most people that I don't want to send me messages, I'm screwed.

5. How the hell is DeLorme still in business?

the fact it is iridium is exciting. but man, those costs are very high.

so what's the deal with this "tracking" you guys speak of. does that mean you leave it on all the time? also, does that mean you are carrying a GPS, a smartphone, AND this inreach device?

the fact it is iridium is exciting. but man, those costs are very high.

so what's the deal with this "tracking" you guys speak of. does that mean you leave it on all the time? also, does that mean you are carrying a GPS, a smartphone, AND this inreach device?

Yep. When I hike with my Spot, I keep it in the very top pocket of my pack and leave it on tracking mode all day long. It shoots off a message with my location every 10 minutes or so and leaves it drawn together on a map for the past 7 days. Those with the link can just check in and see where I'm at and where I've been.

Screen Shot 2012-06-02 at 7.02.54 PM.png

That's funny! I just realized you must have had the Spot2! I had the original Spot, so the sizes weren't very different.

I was a little disappointed when I figured out the web page only had one map, too. Not only that, but the way they set up the web page, there's no way to automatically pull the message data into my own dynamic map. But I'm holding out hope that they're new and those things will come along.

I know it's bigger and clunkier than your Spot, but, man, the speed with which it sends out messages will have you smiling. Not only that, but the peace of mind you get from receiving confirmation that every message has been received by the network will make you happy...no more wondering if the message actually went out. And then the ability to either send personalized messages using your smartphone or just sending canned messages in standalone mode will give you peace of mind knowing that you're not dependent upon your smartphone but you still have the ability to send more information if you need to. And then your wife will be happy knowing that she can send you a message, also!

I'll bet you get over the size and weight!

Did you get the $25 plan? I ended up just getting the $10 plan. I usually send two messages (one at the trailhead and one at camp) on an overnight weekend trip, and I usually go on three trips a month. Now, on longer week long trips, I'll probably end up going over, but based on the price difference and the cost of dropping back down to the $10 plan, I figured that I could almost send 40 messages with the overage charges for the same price as the $25 plan for just one month.

I think you'll end up liking it better than the Spot. Sorry I didn't make it clear that it was big and clunky...it was just about the same as my Spot 1, so I didn't think about it!

And I'm all for going on a trip and sending each other messages!