Dehydrated Fruit

Dehydrated mangoes have become a must on our trips! I have only had store purchased and its amazing, I can only imagine how good fresh done yourself is!

I would love to get a dehydrator and dehydrate my own fruit. I can't stand the stuff from the store loaded with sugar and preservatives. I do however enjoy mangoes from trader joes as they make some without sugar.

Dehydrated Fruit is great. I love the freeze dried stuff as well. We've been looking at freeze drying our own stuff, but it looks to be a pain and/or expensive.

I'm not sure how to freeze dry something, but the dehydrated stuff is awesome!

Basically, once you have a dehydrator, you cut the fruit up and dip it in pineapple juice to keep it from turning brown, then put it on the dehydrator trays for a few hours (8-10) and you're done. Some people dip it in lemon juice, or citric acid instead of the pineapple juice, but I like the pineapple juice best.

There are machines that can do it, but they are very pricey. can be 1,000 dollars and up. You can do it yourself with dry ice, but it's a pain.

I love dehydrated pineapple. Ever since Trader Joe's came to Salt Lake, I just get it all from them. Cheaper and easier than doing it myself and most of their fruit has nothing added to it. I particularly like their mango, coconut strips and flattened banana.

I love dehydrated pineapple. Ever since Trader Joe's came to Salt Lake, I just get it all from them. Cheaper and easier than doing it myself and most of their fruit has nothing added to it. I particularly like their mango, coconut strips and flattened banana.

I'm so jealous!!! I guess I need to do a trip to Trader Joe's when I'm heading to the area this summer.
And I agree, I'm a big fan of dehydrated pineapples and mangoes. And it's super hard to find stuff without added sugar in it

Try dehydrated mandarin oranges....... mmmm

I'm so jealous!!! I guess I need to do a trip to Trader Joe's when I'm heading to the area this summer.
And I agree, I'm a big fan of dehydrated pineapples and mangoes. And it's super hard to find stuff without added sugar in it
You could always drive to Vegas too. I have a few friends who hit up Vegas a few times a year and I would have them stock up for me.

I recommend chile, mine was with some meat, but mainly beans and corn, onions and pepper, tomatoes. Thanks for the other ideas

Has anyone ever had the the dried young coconut from Costco? It's tops on my list...

Dried coconut from Trader Joes is great.........

When we make it to the big city (SLC) Trader Joe's is one of our first stops. We load up on all of goodness Trader Joe's has to offer. In fact on our last trip to San Francisco we hauled loads of stuff 800 miles home to Idaho... CRAZY o_O

Yeah, Trader Joe's is the shiznackle for dehydrated trail food. There is a new one opening about a mile from my house in Cottonwood Heights in a couple weeks. Beyond excited.

Is the Costco coconut no sugar added? TJ's seems to be about the only place that almost never sweetens their dehydrated fruit. It baffles me... why would you ever need to add sugar to something that already has so much?!