Deep Creek Mountains WSA

graywolf

A friend and I are going to the Deep Creek Mountains WSA on Oct. 15th for 4 days of backpacking and hiking. I can't find a lot of info but it looks like we should park along the Tom's Canyon road and go up from there. Anybody have any experience in this area or advice?

I've dayhiked a little up there, but I've never backpacked it. Are there enough trails to do 4 days?

One site I found said there are 20 miles of trails in Toms Canyon alone. One of the main things I want to accomplish is to go up high enough to see some Bristlecone Pines.

I'm sorry I'm not much help. I went up there a few times, but I didn't spend much time there because it was pretty steep hiking to get up into the mountains, and it was a fairly long drive from Salt Lake for the effort.

There's not much to it, but here are some pictures from up there on my website:

http://outsidebynature.com/main/toms-canyon/

I have hunted deer and elk for about twenty years from water canyon in the south to overland canyon on the north... Not much of it I haven't seen. What kind of info you need.

Goshute canyon has pretty cool mines and a ghost town. Granite Creek is nice. Hardscrabble is tough. You can drive to the top of middle basin to access the inner basin....some petroglyphs in there. Old plane crash site on Ricky peak. Like canyon is nice. Chokecherry a little tougher but nice. You can drive aways in toms cyn. Decent loop from granite over red mountain out trout creek. Much more south you run into Indian land...I'd have to look at my maps.

Deer hunters are around. Be prepared for any kind of weather....it can change in a hurry and out there that can be deadly....especially up high....

Thanks for the info Bob. Will there be hunters there Oct. 15th - 18th?

I just looked it up and it is hunting season for rifles. Is there a part of the Deep Creeks that won't have hunters or should I look for a different place in Utah to do a 4 day backpacking trip?

Most hunters are in the foothills, in canyons not far off roads...... we used to backpack in for a week....up Granite, Pole Canyon mainly. Some years we saw them some years not....up high generally not. All depends on your tolerance to people out there toting rifles...

Thanks Bob, I used to hunt deer and I'm very respectful and careful not to interfere with hunters. Since we have two big dogs we've decided to camp and hike the Pony Express Trail around Simpsons Springs and Dugway Pass.

You will get hunters and ATVs there as well. Opening weekend isn't the greatest time to get out and hike..... Check out the Fish Springs Mountains....not many hunt there. There was a old ghost town on the NW end of it you could drive to....don't know whats left. Or go farther north to the Silver reef, floating Islands ..... a little north of Wendover.... the NewFoundlands just west of Great Salt Lake are neat...access only from the Pump station on the north...

Thanks for the suggestions Bob. The Silver Island Range looks interesting so we may go there. Good luck on your hunt.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Bob Deep Creek Mountains Off Road 6
andyjaggy Deep Creek Lakes and Windriver Peak Trip Planning 6
T GSMNP Sunkota Ridge, Thomas Divide, Noland Divide, Deep Creek Backpacking 4
RyanP Little Wild Horse tips for this weekend? Deep cold water in canyon? Trip Planning 5
Nick Wilson & Deep On The Water 8
lostlandscapes Deep Lake, Wind River Range Trip Planning 0
lostlandscapes Wind River Range: Big Sandy/Deep/Cirque/Texas Loop Backpacking 24
HomerJ Deep Canyon - Wellsville Mtns Hiking & Camping 3
IntrepidXJ Late Hike in a Deep Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
shredhiker Slough Creek mid June? Trip Planning 11
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
CodyL Maple Creek or Duck Creek Drainages-YNP Trip Planning 0
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Dreamer Slough Creek - YNP - 6/5-7/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Blacktail Creek June 2023 Backpacking 4
Dreamer Rescue Creek -YNP - 6/3-5/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Slough Creek May 2023 Backpacking 11
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
scatman City Creek Loop - April 23, 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Janice When might road to Salt Creek TH be ok? Trip Planning 23
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
MikeP Exploring/Calf Creek Trip Planning 28
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
slieb Lower Muddy Creek in Winter? Trip Planning 7
scatman A Yellowstone Love Story (Bog Creek Euphoria) - September 12, 2022 Backpacking 28
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
scatman Trout Creek and the Headwaters of Alum Creek - September 11, 2022 Hiking & Camping 17
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
Janice Salt Creek plus... Trip Planning 17
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek, April – May 2022 Backpacking 3
XID_AZ Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring Trip Planning 6