December Backpacking ideas

Vincent Lauricella

Greetings,

I am the Scoutmaster of an east coast Scout troop. Our guys are contemplating doing a warmer climate backpacking trip over their winter break at the end of December 2013. It seems to me that the Southwest would be the obvious region for us to look into. We have a lot of experience backpacking, mostly on the AT and in the Adirondacks, but zero experience in a desert environment. Last summer we did a 10 day trip to the Sierras that was a great success. Group size would be 8-12 Scouts and adults.

Some things we would be looking for are: Convenient and cheaper airfare from the east coast, interesting terrain, decent water availability on the trail, a loop trip to simplify logistics.

Las Vegas has lower airfare for us than most other destinations, and it seems like there are a lot of possibilities within 3-4 hour drive of the city....lower elevations of Zion, Mojave Desert, Joshua Tree, Grand Canyon, etc.

Any suggestions for this or any other area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince

Hmmm… this is a tough one. I guess something in The Grand would be your best bet, but I don't personally have any experience to recommend anything from. But to be honest, I don't think backpacking is a good option that time of year. The days are so short and anywhere you backpack will likely not allow fires, so you'll just be sitting in the dark for 14+ hours a day. Car camping with day hikes is a much better option, IMO.

Hey Vince, I agree that backpacking on the Colorado Plateau can be pretty challenging in the winter. What about heading even further south into southern Arizona? The Sonoran desert can be gorgeous that time of the year. Great winter backpacking can be had in Saguaro National Park, just outside of Tucson. It's great logistically, as you can fly to within just a few miles of the trailhead, loops are fairly easy to form, the backcountry camps are decent, and you'll get to stroll through a classic desert landscape dotted with the iconic saguaro cactus--especially cool if most of your group hasn't visited the desert before. Yes, the nights will be long, but that shouldn't stop you from experiencing a quintessential desert landscape.

Hey Vince, I agree that backpacking on the Colorado Plateau can be pretty challenging in the winter. What about heading even further south into southern Arizona? The Sonoran desert can be gorgeous that time of the year. Great winter backpacking can be had in Saguaro National Park, just outside of Tucson. It's great logistically, as you can fly to within just a few miles of the trailhead, loops are fairly easy to form, the backcountry camps are decent, and you'll get to stroll through a classic desert landscape dotted with the iconic saguaro cactus--especially cool if most of your group hasn't visited the desert before. Yes, the nights will be long, but that shouldn't stop you from experiencing a quintessential desert landscape.

Thanks for the suggestions! It's all about exposing the Scouts to different things. The trip we did to Emigrant Wilderness in the Sierra last summer was an experience that those boys will never forget. A trip to the desert Southwest would have a similar effect on them.

I did some quick research on Saguaro NP. The scenery looks terrific. Am I correct that much of the backcountry camping is at designated sites that have some improvements like privys and reliable water? That's a big park; are there any sections in particular that would be recommended?

There's a good trip report on this site about the Coalpits Wash/Chinle Trail section of Zion. Information that I saw regarding the area mentioned that it's a good winter backpacking location....is that really not the case?

A climbing buddy of mine from years ago would do an annual trip to J Tree to go bouldering. That's a nice possibility as well. Am I correct that there is basically no water in the park and that everything has to be cashed or carried?

What about the Superstition Mountains outside Phoenix? Would it be warm enough in December in that location?

Thanks again

There's a good trip report on this site about the Coalpits Wash/Chinle Trail section of Zion. Information that I saw regarding the area mentioned that it's a good winter backpacking location....is that really not the case?

I was one of the people who did that backpack last year. It was nice, but it's the least impressive part of Zion I've been to. I think you'd find mre interesting scenery in Joshua Tree or Saguaro.

A climbing buddy of mine from years ago would do an annual trip to J Tree to go bouldering. That's a nice possibility as well. Am I correct that there is basically no water in the park and that everything has to be cashed or carried?

In the thread that I linked you to, the guy that did the multi day loop said there were springs on his route, so he didn't need to cache anything, but you'd want to check with the visitor center on spring conditions beforehand.

I did some quick research on Saguaro NP. The scenery looks terrific. Am I correct that much of the backcountry camping is at designated sites that have some improvements like privys and reliable water? That's a big park; are there any sections in particular that would be recommended?

I'm not sure about outhouses, but I'm certain at least two of the camps have springs that are pretty reliable. Of course, I'd want to check with a ranger before I go. You should be good in December. But yeah, all camping is designated. Douglas Springs wouldn't be a bad basecamp. Below 5,000 feet, so it should stay above or around freezing at night, and there is water. Day two could be a grand exploration up into the conifer zone around Manning Camp, way up at 8k. You can always refill on water there, as there is another reliable spring. But I would hesitate to camp that high as it would be pretty chilly at night. Day 3 you could pack up and head over Cowhead Saddle and hunker down at Juniper Basin camp, which also has a spring nearby. Then on day 4, drop 3,000+ feet back to the trailhead. What's really impressive about Saguaro NP are all of the vegetation zones you get to experience. Lots of variety. Everything from cacti to conifers.

Hey, I am a late-comer to this party, but I would highly recommend the Superstition Mountains just outside of Phoenix for a winter backpacking trip. There are many potential loops from the Peralta trailhead. Water is limited to springs, but there are good springs marked on the topo maps. A 2-4 day backpack is eminently doable, and lovely to boot. I would have to think hard about a longer route.

Thanks for the ideas regarding the Superstitions and Saguaro NP. One other area that was brought to my attention is the Sespe Wilderness NE of LA. I know this area would be very different from the places mentioned above, but it seems like it would be doable in December and appears to be quite scenic. I think the hot springs would also be of interest to the Scouts. Does anyone have any thoughts on Sespe that they could share?

Thanks!