Day packs

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
I was wondering what you folks use for day packs? What size is best? I do quite a bit of car camping and do day hikes from one central camp. When I backpack I use the detachable fanny off my pack but I am not a huge fan of this. I would probably take it with me when I backpack if the weight is not to great, for side trips.

I've tried a few and absolutely love my Osprey Stratos 24!!! I love the mesh back that holds the pack away from my back so that it can breath. Keeps my back (mostly) dry! It has plenty of room to haul a fleece, rain jacket, a smaller tripod, snacks/food, TP, first aid, emergency blanket, and anything else I might need on a day hike. I first ordered the 34 and sent it back as it was way too big! I'm not a fan of water bladders and this pack has just big enough side pockets to hold a standard size nalgene bottle on each side.

My friend has the Osprey Hornet 24 and he really likes it a lot. It's lighter than the stratos, but the downside is you have to take the pack of to get your water bottles in and out of the side pockets.

I was just reading Deadeye008's review of the Mountain Hardware Cima Alta day pack. It looks like it packs small and would fit nice in my backpack. The Osprey Stratos 24 does look a little more sturdy but might take up a little more space in my pack if I were to take it on a backpacking trip.

I was just reading Deadeye008's review of the Mountain Hardware Cima Alta day pack. It looks like it packs small and would fit nice in my backpack. The Osprey Stratos 24 does look a little more sturdy but might take up a little more space in my pack if I were to take it on a backpacking trip.
Ya, that's my only complaint of the stratos. Because of that I don't take it backpacking with me. I have a camelbak that I can stuff in my backpack pretty easy that I take when backpacking.

I use a dirt-cheap Outdoor Products pack from Wally World for regular day trips. I'm not picky and, when carrying only 20ish pounds (eight of which is water), anything will work for me. For backpacking and approaching 40 pounds, I have an Osprey Atmos 65 pack. For day trips when backpacking, I have a cheap knockoff (again by Outdoor Products) of the REI Flash18 stuffed into my Osprey.

Ya, that's my only complaint of the stratos. Because of that I don't take it backpacking with me. I have a camelbak that I can stuff in my backpack pretty easy that I take when backpacking.
It looks like a good excuse to buy the Mountain Hardware for backpacking trips, and the Osprey for day hikes from camp or car. I'm kind of a collector of these sorts of things.

I love osprey packs. I have a Sirrus 24 (female stratos) and an osprey verve 9. I use both depending on length of hike or gear needed. I have a small camelback that I never use but I keep for friends to borrow.

I absolutely love my Stratos 24 for day hikes. I'd never even consider adding it to my backpacking kit though!

My heavy hauler Aether 70 has a removable lid with belt that serves daypack duty, but it's not ideal. With both it and my smaller ULA Circuit, I just carry them with my day hike stuff in them on BP day hikes and am not too bothered with their size. For myself, I just don't see a need for a separate, dedicated daypack while backpacking.

- DAA

I absolutely love my Stratos 24 for day hikes. I'd never even consider adding it to my backpacking kit though!

My heavy hauler Aether 70 has a removable lid with belt that serves daypack duty, but it's not ideal. With both it and my smaller ULA Circuit, I just carry them with my day hike stuff in them on BP day hikes and am not too bothered with their size. For myself, I just don't see a need for a separate, dedicated daypack while backpacking.

- DAA
My backpacking pack has a removable lid as well. I'm just not a huge fan. I carry extra water & snacks when I go on side trips with the kids. I try to lighten their load as much as possible. The more I put in the detachable lid (fanny) the more I hate it.

I have a Kelty MAP 3500 that I absolutely love, It's a military pack and I bought it when I was in but I bought it as a hiking pack from the get go. I got a sweet deal on it with a MIL discount but it's a very affordable pack anyway. I bought the plain black one so it didn't look "military" and I've gotten more use out of it than any backpack I've ever bought. It's got ample room for two Nalgene bottles, some spare clothes, food, stove, med kit, toilet paper and other assorted day trip items. For my multi day pack Ive got a ArcTeryx Khyber 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been using an REI Lookout that I picked up last spring at the annual sale. I find it great for long or short day trips. It's light, comfortable, has a large hydration pocket, and plenty of room for packing layers making it useable all year-round.