Day hike in the Elkhorns

JimmyW

Living in Helena, MT, presents a wealth of hiking options. I've hiked extensively in the Elkhorn Mountains, which are a few miles southeast of town. They're an "island range," and run about 30 miles north-south, with the tallest peaks at around 9,400'. Today, I visited Horsethief Park, which is accessed by FS Trail 117 up Pole Creek, out of Winston. I'll share a few pics. The trail starts at 5631' and it's about 3.25 miles to the park.

This shot looks up the park with the Elkhorn divide at the summit. It's a dry time of year, particularly this year. The FS cut down many beetle-killed trees. In late spring, the park is lush green, and we've seen elk grazing here often. The park sits at 7675'.

DSC00034.jpg

At the center horizon is High Peak, which is 8,000+. I've been to its summit once. The only named peak that I haven't reached the top of is Crazy Peak, which is off to the left and is the third highest point in the Elkhorns.

This view looks back down the trail at Canyon Ferry Lake, which is a reservoir on the Missouri River. On the Horizon are Mounts Edith, Baldy, and Boulder, the highest points in the Big Belt Mountains.

DSC00033.jpg DSC00031.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like some nice open hiking up there. Never heard of this area so thanks for sharing.

Thanks. Somehow, my second image was inserted twice, and I can't remove the extra copy. My avatar shows me outside of the old fire tower on Casey Peak, which is in the north Elkhorns at about 8400'. BTW, I lived near Mahwah in Wyckoff before I moved to MT about 38 years ago.

Thank you. If you look at the first pic, you can see where the FS came in and cut down large swaths of trees, which were beetle-killed. It diminishes fire danger, but gives up a little cover for elk. A big fire (about 50,000 acres) struck in 1988. I wouldn't be surprised if the beetles got as many trees.

BTW, I lived near Mahwah in Wyckoff before I moved to MT about 38 years ago.

Holy smokes, small world! I pretty much live on the Mahwah/Allendale/Wyckoff border. I know it's been almost 40 years for you, but if you recall Forest Avenue, my street is right off of it.

I vaguely recall Forest Ave. I lived on Mountain Ave., at the crest of he hill. I do remember that there was an incredible deli at the bottom of the hill on the Wyckoff side, but I can't recall its name.

I vaguely recall Forest Ave. I lived on Mountain Ave., at the crest of he hill. I do remember that there was an incredible deli at the bottom of the hill on the Wyckoff side, but I can't recall its name.

There's a good deli a block from me on Forest Ave called Wilke's Delicatessan. I'd be shocked if it's been there for 40 years though.

When I look at Google Maps, I believe it was on Sicomac. There's a deli there now, but the name doesn't ring a bell.

Thanks for the TR. I have some very good friends in Clancy and I've spent some time in the EH's-usually looking for sheds in the spring.

Thanks, John. I never went "looking" for sheds. However, in years past, I found a couple huge ones in Halfmoon Park, which is about a mile from Boulder Park. You can get there from trails that take off from the Boulder side or the Elkhorn side. The latter is a little shorter hike, but longer drive from Helena. I also found a pretty decent Moose shed up McClellan Creek a long time ago.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
O YNP Union Falls easy hike Aug 4-8 2023? Meet Up (Members Only) 9
kwc Another Adirondack Hike Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Hadley Mountain hike Hiking & Camping 1
T America's Wildest Through-hike General Discussion 0
kwc Short Snowshoe Hike today, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
Ellen What are your favorite spots to hike and camp in December? Trip Planning 10
F The El Camino Real, A failed hike. Backpacking 16
P Scatman's Grizzly Lake hike, 2022 Backpacking 28
Jackson Quick day hike in the Montana Absarokas Hiking & Camping 13
kwc Adirondack Hike to Middle Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0
Rockskipper Afraid to hike alone? Go with this guy - or maybe not. General Discussion 2
Titans Birthday hike Nov 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
P A short hike on the AT in Shenandoah National Park Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Hadley Mountain Fire Tower hike, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
kwc Short hike to a fire tower Hiking & Camping 3
MikeP Canmore Thru-Hike Trip Planning 1
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Blue Mountain hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Goodnow Mountain fire tower hike Hiking & Camping 2
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
kwc Winter Hike into Broomstick Lake 1/13/21 Hiking & Camping 2
Outdoor_Fool October Denali Hike Hiking & Camping 21
Tomaswmitchell Cuberant Lake hike, Bigfoot tracks? Video Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Stony Pond hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
kwc Hurricane Mtn hike in the Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
regehr quick Medicine Bow / Laramie-area hike? Trip Planning 0
ramblinman Boulder Creek Day Hike, Escalante National Monument Hiking & Camping 5
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
kwc Adirondack Spring Hike #? Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Another Hike in the Adirondacks 5/13/20 Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Yet Another Adirondack Hike 5/5/20 Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Another Adirondack Hike 4/23/20 Hiking & Camping 2
Perry Afternoon Hike in Redrock Canyon Trip Reports 2
Perry Day Hike Exploring the Wasatch Ridge Line Hiking & Camping 5
Yvonne Snow Hike up the West Rim, December 15, 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
Benjamin Hayden Looking for good hike away from people in Sedona in mid-February Trip Planning 3
Yvonne Sepulcher Mountain Hike, Yellowstone NP, September 2018 Hiking & Camping 2
Yvonne Yellowstone 2020 backcountry hike questions Trip Planning 21
Yvonne Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone NP, August 2019 Hiking & Camping 6