Critique

gnwatts

CCAH (a valley art's group here in Aspen's Roaring Fork Valley) is having it's annual all valley art show. It is juried, works from the last 12 months only and I am allowed to submit 2 for consideration and they will pick 1.
Edit: They picked #3 for the main show at the gallery and #2 for a space they added in a local coffee shop.

I0000u79Mt1r3.FU.jpg

3 Delaney Park 1

I0000iDL_88HDuDs.jpg

4 Delaney Park 2

Last edited:
Not a photographer, just a guy who takes pictures sometimes, so take these for what they're worth.
1. To me it looks like the black and white ants fighting on a TV screen when you're trying to get something to play. Just doesn't do it for me. I tell my wife sometimes when she's deciding between pictures that she needs to separate the picture from the experience and strictly evaluate the picture.
2. This one is getting better, I'm just not a fan of the mountain being smack dab in the middle. The hills in the middle leave me isolated instead of making me feel "there" or pulling me in.
3. Crop the bottom 1/3 off of this one and I like it better.
4. The gradient effect from dark foreground to light background in the fog is nice. Is there any way to fade the last row of trees to make it less noticable? This would let one's eyes study the rest of the picture more.
5. My personal preference would be color, as I think it brings out the contrast of the rock & water more effectively. The shadows are iffy to me.
6. This one is closer to getting me "there".
7. A lower angle with more context would be more compelling to me. Of course, being there fishing the river would be more compelling to me too.
8. Crop the bottom 20%.
9. Humorous, but I like some others better.

That's my quick take on all of them for what it's worth. Good luck!

no critique, but my favorites are the first 2 Delaney Park shots.

3 & 4 are in my top 4.
Thanks.

There are too many shots posted for "critique's" (but I truly appreciate it uintahiker) I should have just asked for favorites. But I think it would be cool to have a critique thread.