Crazy people (1987)

hatchcanyon

In 1987 we visited for the first time southeastern Utah, stood on some view points of Island in the Sky. What a panorama!

This was completely new to us Europeans. Ok, we knew the Alps and other parts of Europe and I had worked in Silicon Valley for some time. But Red Rock Country was something different.

Then I saw that road? trail? spur? below us. Looked like a possibility to explore more. How to get down there?

We asked a ranger at the visitors center and he asked what kind of car we had? A Chrysler 5th Avenue. Ok, there is a view point an you may look down and decide if you want drive down this unpaved road. We were told we might be able to go for 5 to 6 miles, walk to the brink of the Colorado River gorge and get some more beautiful views.

We followed the advice.

What we saw was Shafer Trail but we didn't know that name. It did not look very (negatively) impressive. We had traveled worse backroads in the Italian Alps. Lets Go!

(All pictures from scanned slides)

USA_1987_0005_8.jpg

Our rented car with a nice California License Plate

USA_1987_0006_8.jpg

Shafer Trail view

USA_1987_0007_8.jpg

Long road to?

USA_1987_0009_8.jpg

on Shafer Trail

Not far away from Potash Road junction - we didn't know that time - a commercial jeep tour approached toward us. You could see the driver staring at our car and he tried to stop us. No way!

His face sais "Look at these crazy people!"

USA_1987_0011_8.jpg

A wonderland of stone

USA_1987_0012_8.jpg

Dead Horse Point

USA_1987_0013_8.jpg

Colorado River

USA_1987_0014_8.jpg

Amazing

The five to six miles were definitely over but the trail didn't look too bad. Ok it was rocky at places and sometimes it needed a careful drive. TThe 5th Avenue was sturdy with its ladder frame. Let's go on!

USA_1987_0015_8.jpg

My wife and the car

USA_1987_0016_8.jpg

Musselman Arch

USA_1987_0018_8.jpg

Breathtaking for newbies

USA_1987_0019_8.jpg

My wife and the car at Lahtrop Canyon Junction

My first idea was to drive down to the river bank but at first I walked. After 250 feet it came clear this was impossible. Even if I could go down the car would never make it up again! Be realistic! This was the point for returning to pavement and so we did.

But we got infected! next time we arrived in Moab with a Chevrolet Blazer (1991 make)

Last edited:
We just got back from this same trip last week. It doesn't look much different at all.

Great report, love the car.
Curious about the scans, did you have someone do it or did you buy your own scanner? They look beautiful.