Colton Guard Station

Aldaron

It's been so quiet on here the past few days that I thought I would post a quick trip report.

The weekend after Christmas, we went snowshoeing with some friends up to Colton Guard Station on the eastern end of the Uintas. We drove in on Friday morning and started the trail later on Friday morning. Most of the trails out to the cabin were actually pretty well packed from snowmobiles, so we didn't need the snowshoes most of the way. There was about a half a mile of somewhat steep descent down to the cabin itself, but it wasn't too bad.

Starting the descent to the Cabin
P1030991.jpg

P1030996.jpg

The cabin was nice, and we spent some time chopping wood and getting settled in. We had pulled some of our gear in on sleds, so we then spent some time in the evening and night sledding. On Saturday we snowshoed around the cabin and did some more sledding.

P1030998.jpg

We then got up before dawn on Sunday and headed back out to the truck. There was some nice fog over the valley around Vernal, and the sunrise was nice.

102_8155.jpg

102_8157.jpg

102_8158.jpg

This was a nice trip. We had a lot of fun with our friends, and the cabin was nice. This was the first time we had ever pulled gear on a sled, and it made things quite a bit easier. The hike was not hard at all, since most of the trails were packed from snowmobiles, and the cabin stayed nice and warm from the wood stove. The Forest Service cabins and yurts are great options for winter overnighters because you get to work for the hike, but you don't have to sleep in the cold.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Very nice! That new camera takes some sharp shots! I've been wanting to get out to that end of the Uintas and do a winter trip like this for a couple years but injuries and lack of snow have stopped it from happening when I've tried. Maybe next year!

I think the pictures that look sharp actually came from Tracy's cheap, old camera! The pictures I took were in light that was too low, and I didn't correctly adjust the settings, so the pictures weren't very good. But I've heard that this is a common problem when many people upgrade to a better camera: until you learn how to use it, the pictures will be worse than they were with the P&S.