Cleaning Out Bookcase Reveals Forgotten Items

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
We recently had a water disaster when our water heater decided to leak last August. The worst part is it happened while I was on a six day backpacking trip in the Uintas.

Fast forward to today and I’m finally able to put my office back together. I was putting my bookcase back in order and I ran across these books that I had forgotten about many years ago...
e71b04fd2cc0687be035e25df5a63338.jpg

Of course I had to stop what I was doing, sit down on the floor and thumb through them [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Lakes of the High Uintas books would be very interesting...

Wow, back in the days when books were books and it was a very serious proposition to get one published. Very few fonts existed and four-color printing was expensive, so you often spiced up a cover by printing it on red paper or such. I'm sure the Hiking the Wasatch author felt very happy with such a snazzy cover. Also back when the content was usually pretty carefully vetted and these things called editors were hired to go over the writing and proof everything.

Did a quick search on Google and came up with this. If you Google "Lakes of the High Uintas" various PDFs of the books will come up. Looking forward to going down that rabbit hole soon.

That is awesome! I was hoping someone had scanned these.

Did a quick search on Google and came up with this. If you Google "Lakes of the High Uintas" various PDFs of the books will come up. Looking forward to going down that rabbit hole soon.

I've seen those before but wasn't sure if they were the same ones pictured in the original post. Are they copyrighted? I'd be willing to scan them and post to the resources section here if not.

Copyrights last well beyond the death of the author, I think some 70 years. I doubt anyone would care, since it's not for profit, but someone might eventually ask for it to be removed. That's the worst-case scenario, IMO. But if they're govt. publications, there's no copyright.

I’ll check tonight

I've seen those before but wasn't sure if they were the same ones pictured in the original post. Are they copyrighted? I'd be willing to scan them and post to the resources section here if not.
I think you're right that the ones on that page are different, but I did find a link to what appears to be the pictured Bear River and Blacks Fork 1985 book here. It does appear to be different than the one in the other link I posted. There's also one for the Smith's Fork, Henry's Fork, and Beaver Creek drainages from the 1986 here.

Couldn't find an equivalent for the Provo and Weber book in the picture. I don't see anything about a copyright in the ones I linked.

I cannot find any kind of copyrights in either book. The only relevant “fine print” I can find is on the first page of each...
4a88e00bdf11130434a809367bea7238.jpg
8499384eedf6e17c9619b7667dde176f.jpg

I'll see if I can't scan them into a PDF or other format. @Nick, what would be a preferred format for inclusion resources section?

I wonder if they keep copies at the DNR map store. I’d think PDF scans would be best, but jpg would certainly get the job done.