Cherokee Peak, Indian Peaks Wilderness

mike_offerman

I headed out to the West side of the Indian Peaks Wilderness, looking to climb my last 2 peaks in the wilderness, Hopi and Cherokee peaks. For those that don't know, the Indian Peaks is a continuation of the peaks to the South of Rocky Mountain NP. There are 37 peaks in the wilderness, and after many years, these were the two that I had left. There is no easy way into them. I figured it was going to be a 17 mile, 6k day.

With a great forecast, we made the 2.5 hour drive over to the West side of the divide. The parking lot was fairly full when I arrived at 6:30. The first couple of miles up to Crater Lake are fairly flat, and then starts to climb a bit before getting to the lake. Crater Lake is amazing, and a major destination for backpackers. We ate a bit at the lake and enjoyed the view. Soon enough we headed North toward the East ridge of Cherokee where we paid the price for the easy hike in on a trail. We now were only half a mile from the peak, but it was over 1,800 feet above us. The terrain was mixed grass ledges and cliff bands. The sun was beating down on us and it was fairly warm for as early as it was and being at 11k. When we topped out of the ridge, we made our way to the East end of the ridge and enjoyed the huge views over to the divide. After another rest, we headed back to the West and climbed the remaining 500' to the top. I was surprised to run across another hiker on the way up. We talked for a while then headed up and summitted at 12:30. We sat there for a long time enjoying the 360 degree views. Our plan was to descend a south western gully, but after taking a look at it, we found it full of hard snow. We were not prepared for this, and after looking around at different alternatives, we decided the only way down was the way we came. This would drop us well below where the gully would have taken us, plus we were now on the wrong side of the peak to climb unranked Mount Achonee and the easy ridge over to Hopi. Once we were down to where we could traverse toward Hopi, I knew that it was going to happen. We were still looking at another 2k vertical over rough terrain. We threw in the towel and headed back down the trail we had come up. It was a long way back out, but with the trail next to a nice roaring creek and a few moose along the route, we got back to the car at 5:20. We still ended up hiking over 17 miles and 5k vert.

Am already planing my next trip in to hike Hopi. There is a long traverse from the East that will allow me to drive less to the trail head, and hopefully climb a couple of other unranked peaks along the way.

Cascade Creek
IMG_20180714_081842.jpg

Cherokee Peak on the right, with the East ridge viewpoint in the center. We came up the opposite side.
Cherokee (2).jpg

Apache Peak on the left, Lone Eagle center.
Apache, Lone Eagle.jpg

The classic view of Lone Eagle Peak with Hopi behind to the right.
Lone Eagle.jpg

Lots of grass and cliffs on the hike up from Crater Lake.
IMG_20180714_103956.jpg

Crater Lake, with Apache, Lone Eagle and Iroquois from left to right.
Shoshoni, Apache, Lone Eagle, Iroquois.jpg

Heading back down to the lake. Soshoni, Lone Eagle and Iroquois above.
Lone Eagle, Limbo, Iroquois.jpg

One last view of Lone Eagle before heading down the trail.
Apache, Lone Eagle (2).jpg

Wild! Well done and well photographed, Mike.

Congratulations.

That last reflection shot of Lone Eagle is especially beautiful.

Very nice! I'm planning on climbing Cherokee this Friday (I'll be hiking in from the Brainard Lake side and camping at Crater Lake). How was the route-finding? Roach's description sounds a little vague (basically, "stay to the left of the gully after you get to the saddle")... if you have any particular input or advice in that regards, please let me know. I haven't done a lot of class 3 so I'll just turn back (and maybe try Blackfoot/Thunderbolt instead, weather permitting) if it gets tough.

Awesome photos and nice report. I am definitely going to have to add this to my list since you noted it would be good backpacking as well. Enough trails or areas to explore for multi-day?

How was the route-finding? Roach's description sounds a little vague (basically, "stay to the left of the gully after you get to the saddle")... if you have any particular input or advice in that regards, please let me know. I haven't done a lot of class 3 so I'll just turn back (and maybe try Blackfoot/Thunderbolt instead, weather permitting) if it gets tough.

I don't remember any 3rd class difficulties and if there were some, they were not very exposed, Seems to me that once you are on the Northeast face there were plenty of options to avoid and hard sections. Blackfoot/Thunderbolt are also great summits, sitting right in the middle of the area. You would have to hike down the trail a ways before heading up to them.

Enough trails or areas to explore for multi-day?

Crater Lake sits at the end of a canyon, so not many other trails to explore except for Pawnee Pass. There are other peaks to do, like Blackfoot/Thunderbolt mentioned above.

I don't remember any 3rd class difficulties and if there were some, they were not very exposed, Seems to me that once you are on the Northeast face there were plenty of options to avoid and hard sections. Blackfoot/Thunderbolt are also great summits, sitting right in the middle of the area. You would have to hike down the trail a ways before heading up to them.

I ended up doing Cherokee and Thunderbolt/Blackfoot, but in 3 days (starting at Monarch Lake). I saw your name on the summit register of Cherokee. It was a phenomenal weekend. I can't believe you were planning on doing Cherokee AND another peak all in one day from the trailhead! I imagine it was quite a brutal day for you just doing Cherokee. Anyway, my favorite view was definitely from Blackfoot, but the hike up to Thunderbolt/Blackfoot was pretty tough! The hike up to the Cherokee ridge was a lot of fun, and I thought the view from the sub-peak at the end of the ridge was 90% as good as the view from Cherokee but with just the fun/easy/safe part of the approach (I didn't so much enjoy the steep talus for the last 500 feet). Do you have any other favorite peaks in IPW? I've been backpacking several times there and have been on many of the more popular trails/lakes/etc., but these were actually my first peaks in the wilderness and they may have converted me to a peak-bagger! I have my eye on Algonquin, but any other suggestions are also appreciated.

Glad you had a good time. That view from the point to the East of Cherokee was great! The views from Blackfoot are great, right in the middle of everything!

Wheeler Basin is another great place to backpack into, tougher to get up to any peaks, but Hopi is doable. Then there are also the 2 basins around Hell Canyon and Roaring Fork (just to the North of where you were. Lots of great camping and easier peak bagging. It won't be as crowded as Lone Eagle, and lots more places to spread out to camp.

Hard to go wrong on the West side of the wilderness!

If you end up doing Algonquin, keep an eye out for old tepee rings between it and Sawtooth. I seem to remember them being more on the West side of the wide ridge, but I could be misremembering.

Glad you had a good time. That view from the point to the East of Cherokee was great! The views from Blackfoot are great, right in the middle of everything!

Wheeler Basin is another great place to backpack into, tougher to get up to any peaks, but Hopi is doable. Then there are also the 2 basins around Hell Canyon and Roaring Fork (just to the North of where you were. Lots of great camping and easier peak bagging. It won't be as crowded as Lone Eagle, and lots more places to spread out to camp.

Hard to go wrong on the West side of the wilderness!

If you end up doing Algonquin, keep an eye out for old tepee rings between it and Sawtooth. I seem to remember them being more on the West side of the wide ridge, but I could be misremembering.

Funny that you mentioned Wheeler Basin---I had a permit earlier this summer for that area (specifically so that I could explore that basin), but had to cancel that trip. I assume you went to the Lost Tribe Lakes, en route to Iroquois or one of the other peaks? If so, were those lakes good for camping, or would it be better to camp in Wheeler Basin and then just day-hike to the lakes if I wanted to see them?

I agree with your comment about the West side of IPW; it's one of my favorite parts of the state (that I've been to yet, anyway) for sure. I just bumped the Hell Canyon/Roaring Fork area up my list (I haven't been there yet). I'm thinking a 3-day trip, with one night at Gourd Lake and one night at Stone/Upper Lake, with some high peaks on day 2, sounds like a blast.

And thanks for the tip about the old teepee rings near Algonquin; I'll definitely keep an eye out for them if/when I get around to that peak.

Last edited:
We actually camped in the Basin, we were climbing some unmentionable peaks to the East.... I still need to climb Hopi, Iroquois and George. We have been looking at maybe camping back there in on the 22nd. You don't need camping permits after the 15th, so that is nice!

We actually camped in the Basin, we were climbing some unmentionable peaks to the East.... I still need to climb Hopi, Iroquois and George. We have been looking at maybe camping back there in on the 22nd. You don't need camping permits after the 15th, so that is nice!
Ahh, yes, I forgot about the unmentionable peaks... Anyway, if you do end up passing through the lost tribe lakes area, you'll have to let me know if it is well suited for camping. Have fun on your trip! Roach says Iroquois has the best views in ipw...