Chattooga River

Aldaron

I used to hike along the Chattooga River when I went to grad school at Clemson. Recently I was hunched over maps trying to decide where to go backpacking when I realized that I didn't really explore very much of the Chattooga when I lived nearby. While I hiked a lot in college, I didn't really get serious about it until I moved out west. Now that I'm back in the east, I want to explore the nooks and crannies that I missed 15 years ago.

I know that most people on here live in the west, but I'm pretty sure that almost everyone here has seen the Chattooga River:

This river was certainly made infamous for its role in the movie Deliverance. And, to be honest with you, as you hike along the remote state lines of South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia, it's hard to get the images from the movie out of your head. Everywhere I went I kept thinking, "I wonder if that's where those scary people came from." In fact, after reading this story I wanted to swing by the Wal-mart in Clayton, GA, while we were stopping in town for lunch.

But we were here to backpack, and the trail didn't disappoint. We did an out-and-back from the trailhead at Russell Bridge on Highway 28. For me, the river itself is the highlight of this trail. The deep river canyon feels wonderfully remote and isolated.

DSC04164.jpg

DSC04167.jpg

The trail didn't follow the river as much as I had expected, though, having been re-routed above the river to climb above some deep canyons. But there were some nice laurel blooming on the ridge tops.

DSC04173.jpg

And there were some nice waterfalls.

DSC04174.jpg
There was a nice fall at Lick Log Creek but I couldn't get a decent picture of it.

The hike was relatively flat with only a couple of notable ascents. We only saw people around Lick Log Creek because the long distance Foothills Trail has a trailhead less than a mile from the river at Lick Log. The humidity was nasty, but the bugs weren't bad. I did eat a LOT of spider webs, but that was good news: it meant no one had been hiking ahead of us. Due to the low elevation (~2000 feet), I do think this trail would be better in the late fall and winter to escape the heat and humidity.

The Chattooga River Trail is almost 40 miles long and we only did about 7 miles of it, so this is definitely a place I want to explore more. Even though our campsite was high above the river, the roar of the water through Rock Gorge was a wonderful way to fall asleep.

While it was a nice hike, I do have to offer a quote from my wife. I've been trying to get her excited about having moved back east, so when we got back to the trailhead after a night in the backcountry, I asked her what she thought about the trail. I realized my efforts to get her excited about the move were still a work in progress when she said, "I felt like mile seven looked just like mile one...so I was wondering why we went to the trouble to hike to mile seven."

Oh well. We'll be in the Winds in two months...I hope that doesn't make it worse.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Nice! Since they opened up the upper sections to boating I've wanted to piece together the whole river to Lake Tugaloo.
Your wife might have more fun in a raft on Section IV, that would keep her entertained :)

Yeah, I didn't even know they had opened the upper section until I read it at a put-in last week. They make it so you have to pull out at Lick Log, though, which is about a mile portage to the closest trailhead and about 3 or 4 miles upriver from the next put in. Sounds like a nice pack raft trip to me. But I think they require dual air chambers.

LOL - Every time I tell someone I'm going to Virginia backpacking.....they go bern ner nert ner nert ner nert ner ner .... ber nert ner nert ner ner
I just say - wrong state!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
fossana Colorado River talks in Springdale, UT (March 27th, April 5th) General Discussion 4
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
BJett Rockcastle River No Shuttle Packrafting - Kentucky On The Water 2
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
kwc Savage River, Denali NP Hiking & Camping 1
D Wind River offtrail route questions Trip Planning 28
Rockskipper You think you found a pithouse, or maybe an Ancestral Puebloan tower near Green River, UT? It's maybe something even more interesting... General Discussion 3
SteveR Sheep River Road Ride on May Day Everything Else 2
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
BJett Packrafting the Cumberland River Below the Falls - Kentucky On The Water 6
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
kwc Cedar River Flow, Central Adirondacks On The Water 1
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
Georgia Yankee Snake River; Wolverine, Coulter, Pilgrim Creeks, July-Aug. 2022 Backpacking 18
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 2) Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 1) Backpacking 16
WasatchWill WRHR - Day 7: Beaver Park to Green River Lakes Backpacking 15
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
BJett Red River Gorge/Red Byrd Arch Packraft Trip - Kentucky Hiking & Camping 9
scatman Gila River - Gila Wilderness, New Mexico - April 18, 2022 Backpacking 61
B Wind river range mid sept. Trip Planning 8
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
marquiri Wind River Range - September 2022 Trip Planning 31
P Yellowstone Snake River weekend Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Northern Wind River Traverse (Bridger/Fitzpatrick Wilderness) - September 2021 Backpacking 16
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36
stretch Grand Canyon Loop: Thunder River -> Tapeats -> Kanab -> Sowats Backpacking 22
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
scatman Snake River Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - August 8, 2021 Backpacking 45
Noun Sequitur Jemez River, Las Conchas Trail and Beyond Hiking & Camping 1
D Wind River Blowdown Trip Planning 2
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
westy Wind River Range Backpacking 4