Cardio Stress Test

Joe

Hey all, I have a physical scheduled later this week, and considering my "advanced" age of 49, I was considering asking the doctor if we could follow up with a cardio stress test. I'm becoming more concerned about my participation in many of the outdoor activities, and would like some self assurance that everything is still OK. Obviously, I hope to enjoy hiking and backpacking for many years to come. Unfortunately, the stress test is not covered under preventive maintenance procedures as defined by the insurance company, and I would be responsible to meet my insurance deductible of $750 before the insurance kicks in. For all I know, the test may not even cost this much.

What are your thoughts? Is this a wise test for someone who enjoys outdoor activities, or is it overkill if there are otherwise no symptoms to justify the test.

I did begin to feel fatigued and a bit nauseated on a fairly simple hike last Sunday that I've previously completed numerous times, and terminated the hike. Could be I was just not feeling very well that day. I'll thank a fellow backcountrypost member for at least recommending that I schedule the physical.

Thanks for your thoughts.