Capture Clip / Black Rapid Advice Needed

Jimmy Olsen

For the last 15 years I've been shooting exclusively with inexpensive point and shoots. Wanting to become a better photographer (and be able to actually get pictures of my kids playing sports) I purchased a Panasonic G3. I used it on my backpacking trip last year and am loving everything about the camera, so far (hoping to get the 20mm pancake before I leave!!!).

My frustration, however, is finding a convenient way to keep the camera accessible with a pack on and finding a comfortable way to carry it with a pack off. My opttech neck strap is uncomfortable. I could have just bought the wrong one but I don't like the weight of the camera around my neck (even though it is a pretty light camera) or the way it swings when I walk.

I thought I landed on an ideal solution for the former with the Clik Access. It's small and light weight. It fastens to my pack—without too much issue. Taking the camera out and inserting it a hundred or so times a day, however, became a chore...almost to the point where I'd skip a shot just to not have to fumble with it. Blasphemy! I know.

I started the hike taking the neck strap off when inserting the camera in the chest pouch. When I broke for lunch the first day, without securing the zipper completely, I almost lost my camera in Sawtooth Lake. It bounced off a few rocks but, thankfully, landed short of the water and did not suffer any damage. For the remainder of the trip, I left the strap around my neck while hiking. Like I said, I could have just bought the wrong one but the strap got real annoying real quick.

Pack-off breaks meant zipping up the camera pouch and unclipping two of the four clips securing it to the backpack, unclipping my chest strap, loosening and unclipping my shoulder harness and belt, etc. After a while I just stopped taking my pack off while my buddies lounged and stretched. That may sound a bit whiney but it was just easier to leave everything on if only taking a 5-10 minute break.

In anticipation of my trip this year (Grand Canyon) I've been researching alternatives.

The first thing that caught my eye was the Capture Clip (which lead to the Spider Holster and the Cotton Carrier) and am hoping someone here has used this setup (preferable with a m4/3 camera) and can give some advice. For those not familiar, the CC is a plate that screws into the tripod mount at the base of your camera and slides into a clip that secures to a belt or backpack harness. Of the 3 systems mentioned above the Capture Clip seems to be the best for my needs—and they recently released a smaller, m4/3s specific plate.

While reading about the Capture Clip I also came across the Black Rapid sling (the Sport Slim or Metro look nice). For the days I'd just be walking around or doing a day hike (no pack) this seems like it would work pretty good. Peak Designs (the makers of the Capture Clip) also make a hand strap and sling that look promising.

So, I guess my questions are...

Has anyone used the Capture Clip (or similar) while backpacking?
If so, did you like it, or have any issues?
Does anyone use the Black Rapid (or similar sling) with a m4/3s camera?

For those of you that use the Clik Access, do you experience the same frustrations?

My photography skills at this point are far outpaced by my camera hardware. But I want to learn and having a more frustration free experience will go a long way.

Thanks in advance for your help?

I used the Black Rapid with my 60D for awhile before I got the CC. My Black Rapid hasn't been used since I got the CC.

- DAA

Thanks DAA. Do you use the CC for both backpacking and general sight-seeing/family events? While I think it seems like a great solution for attaching to a pack harness or pack belt I'm not sure how I'd feel walking around with it attached to my pants belt. That's why I thought a sling might be better for those situations.

I should have been more specific earlier, but I was pressed for time.

I don't carry my "big" 60D backpacking, I just put my S100 in my front pocket for that :D . But use the CC on the shoulder harness of my daypack (Osprey Stratos 24) for some pretty long dayhikes - up to about 20 miles. I've never tried the CC in any other configuration though. For general sightseeing, family stuff, I generally just go with the Optech neck strap, frequently wearing it bandolier style to take the weight off my neck. I can see where an extended carry that didn't involve my daypack, perhaps I would prefer the Black Rapid after all? Because I don't think I'd care for it on waist belt either.

- DAA

I used the black rapid strap for a while. I use the Clik Access now.

I think anything that provides protection from the elements and keeps it from falling on the ground if you lean over is going to be a pain to get the camera in and out of. With that said, I think the access is about as good as it gets. I leave it partially open a lot of the time, depending on whether I'm in heavy photo mode or hike my ass off mode. So long as you pull the zipper up just a bit, it won't fall out. Well, at least my 60D won't. If I'm just focusing on hiking, I buckle down the straps.

I don't use the pack attachments, I prefer the actual body harness that it comes with. It's low profile and breathable and doesn't bother me under my pack. It also makes it so I can pull my pack off and still walk around with my camera.

As for Black Rapid and the Capture Clip. I liked my Black Rapid. But the cons eventually outweighed the pros. Having zero protection from elements proved to be quite brutal to my camera. It also get annoying when you're just trying to slam out miles. I usually used the locking clip on it to push it back away from my arm, but it always works its way back up and then the strap gets twisted, etc. Overall, I'd say the Black Rapid is a fantastic strap design and I'd still use it for a bunch of other situations. But for backpacking and long hikes, it's not great. Day hikes maybe.

The Capture Clip looks really cool. Again, the lack of protection sucks, but at least it's not swinging around. And for a smaller (and cheaper) camera like the G3, it's even more appealing. I might pick one up for my G5. I'm not totally sold on carrying it in my Clik Access because of the extra room. The CC might be just the ticket...

You bring up a good point, Nick. I dismissed using the Clik Access harness with my pack as I thought it might cause undue friction on my back and shoulders, or make me perspire more. Maybe I should rethink my assumptions. I'd still be left with the inconvenience of frequently putting the camera in and taking it out of the bag... and keeping the strap around my neck. On the other hand, it would make the pack off breaks easier to negotiate. I use hiking poles while backpacking with a large pack, so my hands are always busy. On short day hikes (when the poles stay at home) I probably wouldn't mind the harness too much as the camera would most likely be in my hand most of the time—unless I was scrambling.

I'm not that concerned with weather as much as convenience. If the weather turned I think I'd probably keep my camera in my pack.

I believe the G3 and G5 are similar cameras. If it helps, I didn't have an issue with the size of the Access. When I folded in the bulky neck strap I filled most of it t up. I could probably squeeze in another lens at the bottom if I needed to. Maybe even two small ones.

I bought the Capture Clip with their strap Kickstarter recently. I've used it with full frame bodies while photographing bike races and once while hiking. The clip itself works pretty well, I've had to readjust it a bit to get it into a comfortable spot, but it's super handy. I used it on my shoulder strap, haven't tried it on a belt yet. I really like their quick release system for the cross body strap and the wrist strap. I used to use the Clik wrist strap, but the quick release is convenient, and bounces around between a few different cameras.

The CC is nice when you need to scramble up something or take notes or just need a moment without something hanging from your wrist or in your hands. While shooting the races I'll keep a body with a wide angle on the clip, and the primary 70-200 on a body with the wrist strap or cross body strap

I just bought a bunch of stuff so it's going to have to wait but I definitely am planning on getting one this summer.

Well, I couldn't wait. I ordered the bundle with the Capture Clip and m4/3 plate, the leash, and the wrist strap.

I went on a short hike yesterday with my girls and the camera stayed in my pack the whole time. If it was secured on my shoulder trap I definitely would have taken at least a couple of photos.