Capitol Reef next week Wednesday to Saturday

Yvonne

I lava it!!!
I just copied the answer of Tyler in this new thread my questions...

We would have done Spring Canyon despite their warnings about the Fremont (it really was nothing; 10' wide at most and no white water so even if you fell in the almost knee deep water, you're probably going to fall onto the other side of the shore). What really kept us from doing it was the lack of water in the canyon itself. We're not sure if the Ranger was trying to scare us out of not doing it, but they said there are no springs present and we didn't want to have to pack in tons of water. You could still do Spring canyon, but do it as a full day hike.

Even if I do it point to point, I'll have no shuttle. I should either go in and back, that's a long day hike... or should I try to complete the hike, cross the Freemont, the do my originally planned loop?
The lack of water really sucks and I don't want to carry tons of it. :(

My original plan was to start at Chimney Rock TH, do an overnight backpack in Lower Spring Canyon, cross the Fremont River, cross UT 24, head into Grand Wash, Frying Pan, go down via Cohab Canyon to Fruita CG. Spend one night at the CG, go via Suphur Creek Route back to my car.
It's a nice loop, but with the lack of water in Spring Canyon and eventually more run off water next week I'm not sure.
Maybe I save this trip for June, when I'm back.

My idea is just doing some longer day hikes like Sulphur Creek, Pleasant Creek, Navajo Knobs and maybe Golden Throne. Those were originally planned in June.

What about one day on the east side and staying at Cedar Mesa CG? Is Burro Wash and Cottonwood Wash doable from the east without technical gear? I'm a solo hiker, a little bit of class II and class III is no problem.
If it's doable, what about water during this time of year in those canyons?

If anyone is interested to join me for a day or two, please let me know. I would love to have a companion to hike with :)

As far as I know all of the East Side slots are passable to a point without technical gear. They're all fairly close together, so it would be easy to go up one as far as you're able, then turn around, drive up the road a ways, and head up another one.

As far as I know all of the East Side slots are passable to a point without technical gear. They're all fairly close together, so it would be easy to go up one as far as you're able, then turn around, drive up the road a ways, and head up another one.

thanks Lisa, that sounds really good.
SO I'll check it out and see how far I can go. Some scrambling will be okay, and if I encounter parts that need technical gear and experience, I can turn around.
Have you been in the slots before?
I'm wondering a little bit if there will still be some water in it due to the snow melt of the last storms.

Does anyone know a great spot for night shots? Maybe Hickman Bridge? It's around full moon, so the timing is perfect for pictures ;)
Other ideas for great locations?

As far as I know all of the East Side slots are passable to a point without technical gear.

they are just as Pixie stated. The wildcard is the water. Cold water this time of year and you would be certain to run into in in burro and cottonwood though the amount is anybody's guess and seems to change magically and randomly. i went up Cottonwood last Nov and we found some quicksand in one of the water areas. We didn't get stuck, but it we did have to avoid it so definitely report in at visitor center if going in one. I have found the water in these to be cold, even in summer. Also, all of them have quite a bit of "in the open" hiking just to get to the canyon so I don't see doing 3 in a day or anything like that. I would guess you would hike one, maybe two in a day. I am an middle aged couch potato so one would be a day's worth for me. You should be able to do Sheet's Gulch without hitting water. There was once a road leading in to the trailhead from the highway for Sheets, but I think it got plowed. I have tried to find that, only to give up, park at the highway, and start walking. However, the east slots are fantastic!! the below is cottonwood (in the summer).

they are just as Pixie stated. The wildcard is the water. Cold water this time of year and you would be certain to run into in in burro and cottonwood thought the amount is anybody's guess and seems to change magically and randomly. i went up Cottonwood last Nov and we found some quicksand in one of the water areas. We didn't get stuck, but it we did have to avoid it so definitely report in at visitor center if going in one.

Thanks a lot for your reply, Duke
And really nice video clip!! :twothumbs: I'm stoked right now, this is really cool.
I guess during this time of the year I need to expect water. I will definitely be prepared for it and bring my drybag and at least neoprene booties. I'm not sure about my neoprene suit, eventually I just pack the shorty.

I would guess you would hike one, maybe two in a day. I am an middle aged couch potato so one would be a day's worth for me. You should be able to do Sheet's Gulch without hitting water. There was once a road leading in to the trailhead from the highway for Sheets, but I think it got plowed. I have tried to find that, only to give up, park at the highway, and start walking. However, the east slots are fantastic!! the below is cottonwood (in the summer).

all there of them is definitely too much, especially with all the squeezing and scrambling it'll take some time.And days are shorter than in summer. I will either do only Sheets Gulch or Cottonwood Wash and Burro Wash. And even with two of them it'll be a long and exhausting day. :)
The quicksand fact also let me feel a little bit uncomfortable, I really hate it to get stuck in quicksand.

The November trip was the trip I ran over my camera because I am an idiot. However, I do have a point n shoot shot from last Nov in Cottonwood at the quicksand area. Plenty o water/mud.

IMG_1411 III.jpg

any ideas of good spots for night shots?
It's full moon during my visit and I need some ideas beside heading to Hickman Bridge. ;)
If you have a vehicle with a little clearance it's nice up on The Velvet Ridge just north of Torrey, up the Great Western Trail then turn left after crossing Sand Creek.

I enjoyed being up there on the last full moon.
http://blog.bobpalin.com/2012/march/20120308.php

My idea is just doing some longer day hikes like Sulphur Creek, Pleasant Creek, Navajo Knobs and maybe Golden Throne. Those were originally planned in June.

I would suggest that the 'higher' trails like Navajo Knobs & Golden Throne are best done in cooler months. When I hiked Navajo Knobs in early November of 2010 and it ended up being an 85-90 degree day & it is all on exposed slickrock with very very little shade. Add in the elevation gain & loss plus the steady persistent grade and it can be quite a workout & I would think it to be torturous in the hotter months.

If you have a vehicle with a little clearance it's nice up on The Velvet Ridge just north of Torrey, up the Great Western Trail then turn left after crossing Sand Creek.

I enjoyed being up there on the last full moon.
http://blog.bobpalin.com/2012/march/20120308.php

really nice shots, Bob. What a great place to hang around and take pictures.
I guess my rental car will be at least high clearance, so that won't be a problem.

I would suggest that the 'higher' trails like Navajo Knobs & Golden Throne are best done in cooler months. When I hiked Navajo Knobs in early November of 2010 and it ended up being an 85-90 degree day & it is all on exposed slickrock with very very little shade. Add in the elevation gain & loss plus the steady persistent grade and it can be quite a workout & I would think it to be torturous in the hotter months.

Yes, Navajo Knobs, I already planned that hike as a day hike.It's on my list for quite a while. Very tempting for night shots. ;) Eventually I find a nice spot during my day hike and just come back later.
What about Rim Overlook?

any idea where I could camp on my way down from SLC to Capitol Reef?
Delta has changed my flight schedule and I'll arrive a little bit late on Tuesday. :mad:
Not sure if I can make it that night to Torrey.
Even if I make it down all the way, is the camping spot at Meeks Mesa easy to find in the dark?

any idea where I could camp on my way down from SLC to Capitol Reef?
Delta has changed my flight schedule and I'll arrive a little bit late on Tuesday. :mad:
Not sure if I can make it that night to Torrey.
Even if I make it down all the way, is the camping spot at Meeks Mesa easy to find in the dark?

There is a great spot off of Highway 50 just south of Scipio. Take the turn for the Maple Grove campground. You can camp there or there are ton of dirt roads and primitive spots in the immediate vicinity. I've camped there a few times. Here's a shot of one of our sites (not in the official CG):

5483827019_cc68f296a3_b.jpg

Here's a map to the Maple Grove campground, like I said, the best stuff is on the dirt roads nearby.
[parsehtml]
<iframe width="700" height="500" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.015249,-112.089729&amp;num=1&amp;t=m&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=39.026585,-112.066984&amp;spn=0.033339,0.059996&amp;z=14&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.015249,-112.089729&amp;num=1&amp;t=m&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=39.026585,-112.066984&amp;spn=0.033339,0.059996&amp;z=14&amp;source=embed" style="text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
[/parsehtml]
As for Meeks Mesa, the sites are very close to the road and very easy to find. The turnoff however is very easy to pass by, especially heading east. I remember noticing that there was a mile marker that just east of it, I think it was 73 but I'm not sure.

As for Meeks Mesa, the sites are very close to the road and very easy to find. The turnoff however is very easy to pass by, especially heading east. I remember noticing that there was a mile marker that just east of it, I think it was 73 but I'm not sure.
Probably too late to be useful but I went down that way this afternoon to walk the dog, it is MP 73, there was nobody at the camp site.

Probably too late to be useful but I went down that way this afternoon to walk the dog, it is MP 73, there was nobody at the camp site.

thank you, Bob, I really appreciate your help.
And you see, it's definitely not too late for this very helpful information. ;)
I'll leave tomorrow afternoon right after classes and right now I'm stomping with my feet and am more than ready for a few days off in the desert.

I drove down to CRNP last weekend. I could not get anyone to hike with me so I ended up doing Sheets alone to check it out for you. It was fantastic and I think you will love it.

sheets.jpg

I'll leave tomorrow afternoon right after classes and right now I'm stomping with my feet and am more than ready for a few days off in the desert.

I really want to make a Capitol Reef trip soon. Have fun Miss Buffalo!

Oh good. If you happen to be around there at sunset the views from the ridge/shelf below the mesa top are amazing, the path starts near the camp site and goes straight up, you'll see it.