CanyonLands Trip with a Group

KewlSnoddy

Hey all, I was trying to plan a trip to Canyonlands National Park for late May this year, and was having trouble contacting anyone regularly, so I thought maybe this route would work better.
So I am trying to go with a group of about 15-20 and we want to be able to just hike and camp, but all of the group campsites are booked. My questions are:
1. Would reserving multiple sections to go backpacking in work for all of us to camp during the night?
2. (As we are driving there from Kansas) What do you think the likelihood is of there being open campgrounds in the needles if we just showed up and tried to get 2?
3. If we decide to backpack so that we can reserve a spot, will we be able to sleep in the same spot with the whole group, and hike the same spots during the day?

Thank you for your time! I am hoping to get more information than I was able to get from one of their people emailing me. Anyone who has been to Canyonlands before and has insight, that would be super helpful!

Thanks!

x2 on what Aldaron says. Another thing to consider is that you aren't allowed to have multiple affiliated groups in the same canyon/area at the same time. This is to prevent large groups from breaking up for the permits but then just camping together anyway. Outside the park you should be able to find a good primitive site and then just break up into more manageable hiking groups during the days.

Okay, sounds good. In general, does anyone have experience trying to get campsites first come-first serve? Like I said earlier, we are driving from Kansas so showing up and then not having any campsites available would be really bad. (Also, what is BLM land? Sorry, I'm a newbie when it comes to all this.)

BLM = Bureau of Land Management. They manage most of the land outside the National Park. Pretty much all of the camping you'd find on BLM land is just primitive and not reservable. There are no facilities of any kind, just fully self-sufficient camping at random spot in random places. They are often found along dirt roads at random places. Make sure to only use previously disturbed areas.

If you're not comfortable with heading out and finding primitive camping, I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe figure something else out this year and book the group sites earlier for a later trip to Canyonlands?

15 - 20 is a huge impact on the areas you stay in...any way to break into smaller groups? then meet at certain areas, say for lunch or scenic site while doing most of the hiking in smaller groups. I'm also thinking most parks the max limit is around 7 per site? could be wrong tho.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Parma Canyonlands Packrafting Trip Backpacking 45
RyanP 3-day Canyonlands trip in May---suggestions wanted Trip Planning 3
D Planning for 'mega' Canyonlands Trip Trip Planning 2
Ross Cut-price trip to the Maze in Canyonlands National Park Trip Planning 0
Nick Invite Canyonlands Float Trip Meet Up (Members Only) 66
Ross Invite plea to save a Maze Canyonlands trip Nov 23 Meet Up (Members Only) 4
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
M Canyonlands, and some random routes Trip Planning 7
SeanIsADesertRat Interesting/mysterious patterns Needles District, Canyonlands General Discussion 19
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
Desertratgal Packrafting Canyonlands Round 2: Dates? Trip Planning 2
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
Desertratgal Canyonlands Packrafting Rough Draft Trip Planning 18
dpnoll Colorado Canyonlands Backpacking 10
TrailScot Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter General Discussion 5
angeedraper Canyonlands - Needles 2 Night Backpacking (April 29-May1) Backpacking 0
J Canyonlands Needles District simple backpack with a close friend April 1-3, 2021 Backpacking 2
IntrepidXJ Arches and Canyonlands National Parks Accepting Comments on Proposed Fee Increases for Backcountry Operations General Discussion 38
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands Permits going to Recreation.gov General Discussion 4
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
Parma Pssst, don't tell anyone but Canyonlands is opening up General Discussion 3
gnwatts BLM Oil and Gas lease auction, Arches, Canyonlands, Bears Ears etc. General Discussion 5
DouginGJCO Hiking &/or backpacking partner for Canyonlands Natl Park and nearby Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
OwenM Canyonlands in winter/off-season Trip Planning 19
chandlerwest Monument Basin - Canyonlands NP - Not enough hours in a day. Hiking & Camping 6
JBPHXAZ Canyonlands Needles Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 8
P Salt creek in Canyonlands Trip Planning 13
Parma Missing Person In Canyonlands General Discussion 2
U Maze District of Canyonlands question Trip Planning 15
M Water in Canyonlands Salt Creek early April? Trip Planning 11
zionsky Arches & Canyonlands closed due to snow General Discussion 12
Benjamin Hayden Looking for advice on Maze District, Canyonlands Trip Planning 1
C cave of 200 hands in Canyonlands Trip Planning 0
AKay09 Canyonlands NP: Needles District 4/24-4/27 Backpacking 11
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands National Park: Expanded Bear Container Requirements General Discussion 7
K Hiking the Needles Canyonlands Trip Planning 9
J Canyonlands Natl Park Needles District Circumnavigation April 9 to 15, 2018 Backpacking 1
D Canyonlands 1976 Backpacking 2
Brian Skibbe Moab, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP. May 2017 Hiking & Camping 3
JDWalters Canyonlands/ Needles District question Trip Planning 5
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 2. April 13-15, 2017 Backpacking 8
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 1. April 10-12, 2017 Backpacking 0
blueeyes Canyonlands/Moab Jug Handle Bikepack Loop March 18, 2017 Everything Else 21
C Canyonlands: Chesler Park, Virginia Park ??? Trip Planning 7
Mike Schasch Canyonlands/Needles hiking along river Trip Planning 7
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
C Horse Canyon on Canyonlands Trip Planning 7
D 2 or 3 DayTrip To Canyonlands National Park Trip Planning 34
C day hikes in Canyonlands Needles in late November Trip Planning 19