Canoe Trip in the Boundary Waters

Has anyone here ever been up to the boundary waters? Me and a buddy of mine are looking to do a 4 day canoe trip up there and we are looking for some pointers on where to go for beginners but we also want to catch a lot of fish. Thanks

I researched the place about a hundred years ago. There are lots of outfitters based in Ely, MN. Be prepared to portage your canoe and gear.
Have fun. Good luck.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

I am not very experienced, but I've gone to the Boundary Waters to canoe twice. Both times I went through Sawbill Lake, renting a canoe from Sawbill Outfitters. They were very helpful. They would offer advice if you were bringing all your own equipment (if you asked for it), and would rent you a canoe for an appropriate (neither gouging you or giving it away) fee. And they could rent you stoves and tents and the rest of your gear if you had none or were flying in to the area. If you wanted, they would organize food for you, as well. They can talk you through the permit process, too. We rented a canoe (Kevlar) and headed out. There were plenty of people, plenty of portages, and plenty of beautiful lakes. About fish... I can't really say (I like tarter sauce, not fish.) Venchka is correct, there are LOTS of outfitters in Ely. I'm sure any of the outfitters would be helpful. Have a nice trip!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Yukon River family + puppy canoe trip On The Water 4
scatman Yellowstone Lake - 2 Week Canoe Trip - Summer 2019 Trip Planning 24
kwc one more Adirondack Canoe Day trip - Fall Lake Stream On The Water 2
kwc another Adirondack Canoe day trip On The Water 5
natylka Fisher Towers Section of the Colorado River-Canoe Trip Trip Planning 3
b.stark Missouri River Canoe Trip On The Water 9
Tres Westbrook Green River Canoe Trip - Mineral Bottom to Spanish Bottom May 24-29, 2015 (Part 1 - Days 1 and 2) On The Water 5
Tres Westbrook Advice for Stillwater Canyon Canoe trip - late May. Trip Planning 6
SirDonB General Canoe/Kayak Trip Planning Trip Planning 9
steve Invite Kayak/Canoe Trip on the Green River - May 8-11 Meet Up (Members Only) 7
kwc Wiliam C. Whitney Wilderness canoe camping (Adirondacks) On The Water 10
gnwatts Grand Canyon by canoe On The Water 2
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
P New to the canoe life Gear Reviews 5
D Canoe or Kayak Camping Trip Planning 3
powderglut 1981 Hole In The Rock Canoe Adventure On The Water 24
uintahiker Building my canoe General Discussion 53
Vegan.Hiker Northern Forest Canoe Trail - Section 2 On The Water 10
uintahiker Update on my canoe General Discussion 4
baltocharlie I'm wrong, kayaks over canoe General Discussion 4
Nick Kayak or Canoe? Gear 28
Nick Kayak/Canoe Rack for Full Size Truck w/Tonneau Gear 15
uintahiker Gear Review Pelican Navigator Canoe Gear Reviews 3
balzaccom Spring trip to the Desert Hiking & Camping 0
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
John Goering The ancient past. 1980 Beartooth trip Backpacking 11
Bob Short Motor Trip Thru Cody, Cooke City Off Road 6
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
scatman Pre-trip Preparation General Discussion 176
Honk34 Day Trip WY Golden Trout Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
balzaccom A civilized trip--on the rivers of Europe On The Water 0
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
C Thorofare Trip - September 2023 Trip Planning 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
travel2walk last minute Colorado trip, maybe 4 passes? Meet Up (Members Only) 0
P Bighorns (WY) Trip report Backpacking 8
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3
Kerrie at Thru We Go Packraft Trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountains Trip Reports 3
Georgia Yankee Can't seem to edit my trip report Questions, Suggestions & Support 4
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10