Canada road tripping Northwest Territories question(s)

kwc

We're heading towards Alaska this summer (not sure if we'll make it that far - the goal is Haines) ... and we would like to head up to the NWT, visiting Wood Buffalo NP, maybe Yellowknife, Ft. Simpson, and that area in general. It's called the Deh Cho route (includes the Waterfall Route and the Liard Hwy). So ... has anyone been up that way, traveled these roads, visited any of these places? If so, any thoughts, advice, things not to miss, and so on??
We have no timetable other than we'll be leaving upstate NY in late June and have to be back around August 10th.
Thanks in advance!!

Sounds like a great trip. I wish I could help you out on the part of your trip to Yellowknife, Wood Buffalo, etc. but I have nothing on that.

Buy a copy of The Milepost, a guide to driving in the north (Alaska, Yukon, BC, NWT, Alberta)

The drive to Haines, AK is great. The drive from Haines Jct, YT to Haines AK is one of the finest I have ever been on. The same applies to the drive from the Alcan to Skagway.

Google the following to see if any of it should be on your list for more than a drive-through:

Dempster Highway, Cassiar Highway, Klondike Highway, Campbell Highway, Top-of-the-World Highway, Whitehorse, YT, Skagway, AK, Dawson City, YT, Hyder, AK, Liard Hot Springs, Takhini Hot Springs, Kluane NP&R, Tombstone Territorial Park, Stone Mountain Provincial Park, Muncho Lake Provincial Park.

@Outdoor_Fool ... we already have a copy of The Milepost (Christmas gift from our Alaskan family) and that's where we've gotten the bug to visit these places that are off the usual Alaskan Hwy route.
I have already done the road into & out of Skagway back when my son & I hiked the Chilkoot several years ago. We stayed at a B&B in Whitehorse on our way back to Fairbanks after the hike.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Bob Bear coming out after hibernation - Canada General Discussion 0
Bob Trans Canada trail Trip Planning 0
F Frontenac Provided Park Ontario, Canada June 2023 Backpacking 4
F Frontenac National Park, Quebec, Canada Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Campobello Island, Roosevelt International Park, NB, Canada Everything Else 2
forest dweller Invite First 2 weeks of August, open to anywhere wild and beautiful, western US or Canada, hell, Yukon or Alaska even! Meet Up (Members Only) 10
LarryBoy A Route In Between: Mexico to Canada Through the Heart of the West Backpacking 50
Vegan.Hiker Backpacking Nova Scotia, Canada Backpacking 21
Vegan.Hiker Hopewell Rocks, Cape d'Or, Canada Everything Else 12
Rockskipper Canada Parks Passes on sale through the end of the year - 20% off General Discussion 0
Bob Great Western Trail - Canada Resource Discussions 0
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
Titans Cedar Mesa 3/11/24- Springs & Road conditions Trip Planning 3
Noun Sequitur 2023 Road Trips Everything Else 1
Outdoor_Fool Brooks Range trek - Anaktuvuk Pass to the Haul Road - Cancelled Flight - last minute change-up Backpacking 21
Writhdar Old Sheffield/Spencer Flats Road end (wellhead) questions Hiking & Camping 4
SteveR Sheep River Road Ride on May Day Everything Else 2
Janice When might road to Salt Creek TH be ok? Trip Planning 23
regehr conditions at the Mexican Mountain road? Trip Planning 8
rhubarrbb White Pocket - Lone Tree Road / Southern Road Trip Planning 3
regehr maze road has a sand dune Trip Planning 14
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
Stephanie B Lockhart Road and Bobby's Hole Trip Planning 7
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
RyanP road from Hite to Water Hole Flat Trip Planning 20
D White Rim Road Off Road 2
Parma White Rim Road FKT General Discussion 4
Gwen T Fortymile Ridge Road Trip Planning 5
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
fossana Red Cliffs & Dixie NF fire-related trail/road closures (St George area) Trip Planning 1
norwegianxplorer Death Hollow from Hells Backbone road 7 day loop with My Own Frontier Canyoneering 0
Titans 2020 Road Conditions Southern Utah (& Arizona Strip ) Trip Planning 1
Artemus Road Proposed to be Bulldozed through Red Cliffs Recreation Area General Discussion 7
regehr late 2019 road conditions in S Utah Trip Planning 55
Titans COLORADO PLATEAU ROAD TRIP - November & December 2018. Hiking & Camping 21
powderglut Colonnade Arch road conditions General Discussion 7
J How is the dirt road to the East Fork of Blacks Fork TH? Trip Planning 1
Ross Arizona/Utah road trip loop with sandstone/badlands/canyon hikes Hiking & Camping 14
C Skutumpah road closed at Bull Valley Gorge General Discussion 9
Parma Elephant Hill Road Advice General Discussion 1
fossana Death Valley road closures post flooding Trip Planning 3
canadug Current Escalante and Cap Reef Road conditons Trip Planning 17
fossana Kolob Canyons (Zion NP) still closed for road construction Trip Planning 2
wesleyS The Maze road conditions Off Road 0
Titans 3 week Arizona road trip: Tucson Desert Rain & Hiking SAGUARO NP Hiking & Camping 1
P Tuckup Canyon Trailhead road conditions Trip Planning 0
Rockskipper The Road to Tuk Off Road 8
RyanP White Rim Road vehicle/difficulty questions Trip Planning 8
wesleyS Road from Boulder airstrip, UT Hiking & Camping 5
Nick PNW Road Trip Trip Planning 20