Camping music

Tyler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What is your favorite music to listen to while hiking or camping?

I have a "camping" playlist and the most common artists I have on it are:

Pink Floyd
Modest Mouse (slower stuff)
Led Zeppelin
Meat Puppets
Jimi Hendrix
Band of Horses
Dr Dog

Any others you suggest?

What is your favorite music to listen to while hiking or camping?

I have a "camping" playlist and the most common artists I have on it are:

Pink Floyd
Modest Mouse (slower stuff)
Led Zeppelin
Meat Puppets
Jimi Hendrix
Band of Horses
Dr Dog

Any others you suggest?

Foreigner - Juke Box Hero, Hot Blooded, Cold as Ice

Death Cab
Mumford and Sons
Mozart
Beethoven
AC/DC
Megadeath
Gotye
Hardcore History Podcasts

I don't listen to any music when camping or hiking. I prefer the natural sounds around me.
I wish I could say that.. but on nasty slogs a little bit of music helps me keep pushing..

I don't listen to music while hiking but I couldn't live without it in camp. I even pack speakers backpacking.

Here are some of my campfire favs:

Eddie Vedder's solo stuff or some of the more melodic Pearl Jam songs are always nice

Lately I've been completely hooked on Puscifer. The name suggest rough stuff but they have a lot of really nice desert-inspired songs that really hit the spot when I'm out camping. Maynard moved to the desert outside of Sedona a few years back and it's clearly inspired him. The banjos are particularly nice. :)

I don't listen to music while hiking but I couldn't live without it in camp. I even pack speakers backpacking.

Here are some of my campfire favs:

Eddie Vedder's solo stuff or some of the more melodic Pearl Jam songs are always nice

Lately I've been completely hooked on Puscifer. The name suggest rough stuff but they have a lot of really nice desert-inspired songs that really hit the spot when I'm out camping. Maynard moved to the desert outside of Sedona a few years back and it's clearly inspired him. The banjos are particularly nice. :)

I'll have to check out puscifer. If you like banjo's, check out some of Modest Mouse's slower stuff. The lead singer has a solo project called "Ugly Cassanova" that is very campy/chill. He did most of the songs for the documentary "180 degrees south" and it was quite appropriate.

I don't listen to any music when camping or hiking. I prefer the natural sounds around me.
Same here, I want to hear the rattle snake before I step on him.

I do pack in a small mp3 player when camping/backpacking. Some audio books and music go a long way when you're pinned down in your tent during a rain storm!!!

I do pack in a small mp3 player when camping/backpacking. Some audio books and music go a long way when you're pinned down in your tent during a rain storm!!!

Do you just use headphones or do you pack portable speakers?

X2

I rarely listen to music in camp.
I love the sounds around me and enjoy it a lot. Sometimes I listen to my MP3, but mostly I just listen to mother nature :)

Do you just use headphones or do you pack portable speakers?
Usually headphones, but one year I packed in a very small AA powered speaker. I took it to pull a joke on my buddy as he's the type that hates any electronic gear (mp3 players, game boys, etc.). As we were hiking down the trail heading into Big Sandy area I pulled up some Metallica or something hard like that and started blasting it! :D Anyway, after he tried to throw it in the creek I turned it off. A few days later during a rain storm we all sat under a tarp waiting out the storm listening to an audio book by Patrick McManus!!! Listening to stories about Rancid Crabtree really passes the time!! We were all glad I had brought it!

I usually just enjoy the sounds of nature while camping and hiking. Occasionally we'll put on some tunes while car camping, but generally not if we have neighbors near by out of respect. I listen to a lot of different music, but when I go camping I seem to gravitate toward classic rock or mellow alternative. Stuff that's reminiscent of what my parents used to play when we'd go camping. Funny how that works. I save the harder/faster stuff for the drive to keep me going for a few hours.:D

I too carry mini-speakers and an MP3 player. I take them everywhere. I don't listen while doing technical canyons 'cause communication is important, but during the long slog back the the car it really keeps me moving. Plenty of canyon swims I've worried that my dry bag would leak and soak my iPod.
I love lot's of different music. Favorites, hiking or otherwise, are Dave Matthews, U2, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, Old Crow Medicine Show, O.A.R., Felice Brothers, and tons more... I have this playlist I call Road Songs that I like to listen to while traveling. I'd like to see your playlists if you do something similar. Is there a way to share the playlist?
Also, my regular hiking partner Cody and I like the same podcasts so we listen to those a lot in camp or driving to or from the desert. Favorite podcasts include Radio West, This American Life, Radiolab, The Moth, Selected Shorts, Diane Rehm Show, Fresh Air, Mormon Stories, and Mormon Expression. I also like The Atheist Experience and The Geekshow, but Cody doesn't love those ones.

If I'm trying to get some miles, I've been known to play some military cadence stuff. Nothing like a drill instructor yelling at you to keep it moving.......
Depending on my mood for music, I listen to country or Christian worship music. I really like worship music during mediation.
Over all though I really don't listen to much music whilst backpacking though. I really like being alone in my thoughts.
I do like the idea of packing a audio book. Not sure why I haven't thought of that before. Will put that to use this spring......

I'm with Randy. I don't listen to anything while hiking, but only occasionally when car camping I'll listen to music.

Funny story here. When we camped together last year before doing Three Canyon, I hadn't listened to Puscifer much. After you played some Puscifer and MGMT that night, though, I started listening to them on Pandora. After hearing the other music that Pandora played along with those bands, my taste in music totally changed and now I mostly listen to indie and electronic music. :thumbsup:

I save the harder/faster stuff for the drive to keep me going for a few hours.:D
This reminded me of once when I tried to hike to some Metallica, ACDC, or the likes and ended up hiking to the beat of the music. I was wiped out after 15-20 minutes.

Is there a way to share the playlist?
Also, my regular hiking partner Cody and I like the same podcasts so we listen to those a lot in camp or driving to or from the desert. Favorite podcasts include Radio West, This American Life, Radiolab, The Moth, Selected Shorts, Diane Rehm Show, Fresh Air, Mormon Stories, and Mormon Expression. I also like The Atheist Experience and The Geekshow, but Cody doesn't love those ones.

Glad to see another Mormon Stories/Mormon Expression podcast listener. Great stuff that John Dehlin is doing.

I just did a "print preview" of a playlist, then copied/pasted it here. I had to delete the song time and album info though. This is my "camping" playlist, although I have many others I like to listen to while camping.

Name - Artist
The Funeral - Band of Horses
The Great Salt Lake - Band of Horses
Volcano - Beck
Angel - Jimi Hendrix
Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix Experience
The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Castles Made Of Sand - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Hey Hey What Can I Do - Led Zeppelin
Thank You - Led Zeppelin
Tangerine - Led Zeppelin
Misty Mountain Hop - Led Zeppelin
Going To California - Led Zeppelin
You Can't Fail Me Now - Loudon Wainwright III
Simple Math - Manchester Orchestra
Southern Cross - Mason Jennings
Ulysses - Mason Jennings
Aurora Borealis - Meat Puppets
Comin' Down - Meat Puppets
Lake of Fire - Meat Puppets
Weekend Wars - MGMT
Broke - Modest Mouse
Trailer Trash - Modest Mouse
3rd Planet - Modest Mouse
Gravity Rides Everything - Modest Mouse
Perfect Disguise - Modest Mouse
Just Breathe - Pearl Jam
Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam
Black - Pearl jam
Dogs - Pink Floyd
The Great Gig In The Sky - Pink Floyd
Goodbye Blue Sky - Pink Floyd
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
I Never Came - Queens of the Stone Age
Bandoliers - Them Crooked Vultures
To Live Is To Fly - Townes Van Zandt
Parasites - Ugly Casanova

One the road requires America, Old crow medicine show, felice bros, neil young, avett bros, band of horses, Eddie vedder. Once camping, I love to take it up a notch to something upbeat...usually electronic-dance worthy. Ratatat, mgmt, beats antique, beck, passion pit, the xx, Boy robot, the toids, explosions in the sky and the list goes on. Being outdoors and connecting it with music helps inspire me in my dance practice. My three fav things..outdoors, dance and music.

Once I leave camp or a canyoneering adventure, my anthem song is Bittersweet Symphony every time with tears. Mostly because coming back to reality sucks.

Glad to see another Mormon Stories/Mormon Expression podcast listener. Great stuff that John Dehlin is doing.

I just did a "print preview" of a playlist, then copied/pasted it here. I had to delete the song time and album info though. This is my "camping" playlist, although I have many others I like to listen to while camping.

Name - Artist
The Funeral - Band of Horses
The Great Salt Lake - Band of Horses
Volcano - Beck
Angel - Jimi Hendrix
Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix Experience
The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Castles Made Of Sand - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Hey Hey What Can I Do - Led Zeppelin
Thank You - Led Zeppelin
Tangerine - Led Zeppelin
Misty Mountain Hop - Led Zeppelin