Caltopo map scale for backpacking trip

Nodust

Making my caltopo maps for a Wind River Cirque of the Towers loop. I am thinking the 1:24,000 looks to be the best fit for me.

Anyone have a preference?
Should I think about a different scale. I'll have individual maps of entire route at 1:24,000. Plus I am planning on bringing a bigger topo map of the Wind River Range that I purchased just, for general reference, peak identification, and in case I get off course a little. The route will be downloaded to my InReach as well.

Can't beat the USGS Quads for detail. If you're in doubt of having enough detail for navigation, take them along. Maps are light compared to the pain in the rear of getting lost. I'm assuming your larger scale Winds map is one of the classic Earthwalk maps. They're OK, and I've done a couple on-trail trips with them, but the USGS Quads just have so much more detail. There's a lot that doesn't show up on the Earthwalk map. Off trail in the Winds, the 1:24000 quads are just the way to go.

What version of Cirque loop are you doing?

What version of Cirque loop are you doing?
I don't remember the trail names, but a 40 mile counter clockwise loop. I'll put a link later.
Big Sandy trailhead to Cirque, then over Lizard Head trail to Graves lake. Continue to Big Sandy.

I'm assuming your larger scale Winds map is one of the classic Earthwalk maps.
I think it is a beartooth publishing map. It is just for a bigger picture if needed. Has many peak names on it.

I use a custom scale on caltopo of 1:30,000 just to fit a little more on each page. All of the same info you get on 1:24, just packed a little closer. I think the difference in detail is negligible. You can play with setting the scale on caltopo when you generate the PDF to see what you like.

Can you share you Caltopo map on here? I'd love to do something like this sometime and would like to see your route!

I use 1:30000 or 1:20000 when I want to be sure not to screw up navigation. I usually also download the offline maps for the area on Backcountry Navigator in case I need to zoom in more, get a gps location or hike out using a different trail.