Busy in Bryce

Nick

-
I spent a weekend in and around Bryce Canyon National Park back in June. This was a work hiking trip but it didn't feel much like it with all the great company. @neiloro and I drove down together where we met up with @Artemus and @muir_mountain the first night. We had a nice time around the fire and it was great to meet Gabe and hear about his big adventure he was embarking on. I slept in the back of the truck like I normally do, so I was a little bummed when it started raining in the middle of the night. I closed up the tonneau and got into the fetal position and stayed mostly dry. It rained on into the early morning which made crawling out of bed not much fun. And even less fun because I can't do my work hikes without good light and skies. I might as well just sit and wait for the sun to come out, which I have done many times on these trips.

@neiloro and I packed up and left before the others were awake. We were meeting some friend from out of the country that were on a long trip. We met up at a little cafe outside of Bryce. Lucky for us, by the time we were done eating, the skies were clear to the south above the canyon. Hike on!

Prior to this trip, I have totally neglected Bryce. I've gone in and stopped at a couple overlooks, but I'd never hiked it. It turns out the overlooks I stopped at were some of the less impressive ones, so my entire take on the park was pretty skewed. I just wasn't super impressed. And add the crowded national park factor and it always just seemed like more fun to go somewhere else. Boy was I wrong...

For our first hike of the day, we started down the Navajo Loop. As the trail dropped below the rim, so did my jaw. The scale of this place is incredible. And the way that rock erodes is just wild.
bryce-2016-850-1.jpg bryce-2016-850-2.jpg

We walked slow and took lots of photos.
bryce-2016-850-3.jpg bryce-2016-850-6.jpg

The Wall Street section of the Navajo Loop.
bryce-2016-850-7.jpg bryce-2016-850-8.jpg

Looking down on Wall Street. As we neared the end of the hike, clouds moved back in and obscured the sun.
bryce-2016-850-10.jpg

When we got back to the trailhead, the place was packed to the brim. The sight of someone walking in the parking lot got the line of cars looking for a spot go a little crazy. With the sun gone and the crowds in full force, we decided to vacate the premises.

As we were heading east on Highway 12, we decided to stop at the Mossy Cave trail. There was a bit of sun breaking through here and there. Fortunately, I had plenty of it for the key parts of the hike. Mossy Cave itself is pretty unimpressive this time of year, but the faux creek and waterfall are pretty cool.
bryce-2016-850-14.jpg

Next we drove out on the Skutumpah Road hoping it wouldn't rain so much as to turn the surface into the snot slick that it is known to become. We stopped to check out the old pinned truck and 'bridge' at Bull Valley Gorge before backtracking to hike Willis Creek. I'd already done this one but the place was covered in ice so I figured a re-shoot was in order. The sky was overcast and uncooperative.
bryce-2016-850-16.jpg bryce-2016-850-17.jpg

Next stop, Kodachrome Basin. I think it's against the rules to go there and not take at least one picture of this thing.
bryce-2016-850-18.jpg

The one and only sign on the Kodachrome nature trail that's setup looking right at this. Interesting choice of quote there...
bryce-2016-850-19.jpg

All we did was the little nature trail loop in Kodachrome and then the thunder and lightning started so we packed up and left.
bryce-2016-850-20.jpg

We made out way back to the west side of the Paunsaugunt Plateau and met up with Art, Becky and Luna for another night of camping. Gabe had moved on to Zion. We had located this area or a campsite the previous day so we all knew where to meet. It was pretty nice up there chatting around some chips and salsa, and then this bad boy moved in.
bryce-2016-850-21.jpg

It skirted right past us without making a fuss. Not the first storm that day that had come close, from what I was told.
bryce-2016-850-22.jpg

Fffffffphotographers. But really, what kind of tree is that? I think I know what it's not.
bryce-2016-850-25.jpg

Wandering around on a high, exposed ridge with a wicked storm whizzing by behind us. Nothing to see here.
bryce-2016-850-26.jpg

Later that evening, we wandered out to the rim of the canyon to take in the nice evening light.
bryce-2016-850-27.jpg bryce-2016-850-28.jpg

The next morning we were up and at it early to beat the crowds. First stop: The Queen's Garden Trail. This one is the easiest hike from the rim down into the amphitheater with an elevation loss of only a few hundred feet or so. It's strange how good that rock looks backlit by the sun.
bryce-2016-850-29.jpg bryce-2016-850-30.jpg bryce-2016-850-31.jpg

Ffffffphotographers!
bryce-2016-850-32.jpg

This was a really pleasant trail, particularly before everyone else got there.
bryce-2016-850-33.jpg bryce-2016-850-34.jpg bryce-2016-850-35.jpg bryce-2016-850-38.jpg

@neiloro being @neiloro.
bryce-2016-850-40.jpg bryce-2016-850-41.jpg

After hiking back to the rim, I walked the Rim Trail from Sunrise Point to Sunset Point. It's a nice little half mile walk.
bryce-2016-850-42.jpg

And finally, we made our way out to Rainbow Point to hike the Bristlecone Loop.
bryce-2016-850-45.jpg bryce-2016-850-46.jpg

A Bristlecone Pine out on the edge of the plateau.
bryce-2016-850-47.jpg bryce-2016-850-48.jpg

Tree vs. tree
bryce-2016-850-49.jpg

Looking off the other side toward Yavimpa Point.
bryce-2016-850-50.jpg

And then a quick stop at this roadside natural bridge before the drive back to Salt Lake. It was a great weekend and I'm so happy that I finally hiked Bryce. Even with too many people here and there, it was totally worth it.
bryce-2016-850-51.jpg

For us Aliens it's just the opposite, those Parks were actually the very first places to visit in the early years after starting our Southwest vacations way back in 1992, it's a long time ago we hiked all those trails.
It brings back good memories and reasons to have a fresh look coming October.
That first picture of the Kodachrome Hoodoo i used to turn 90 degrees when i did slideshows, guaranteed everybody was awake again after that!
Thanks @Michael and @Nick for helping me to get into BP again.

Great pictures especially of the trees!
Who is the old man in the chair? -Just teasing- :)
Yes, in 90's the crowds were much less in the NP than now.
Good memories too.
The Kodachrome Hoodoo has many names in Germany - NSFW.
@Henk my pleasure!

Gesendet via iPhone 6S mit TapaTalk

Good one. Although I've heard you could tie a GoPro around a mule's neck and send it off down the trail firing every 60 seconds and get great Bryce photos you proved that a skilled human could do much better ;)

I love the pictures of the @neiloro man being Neiloro. So what happened to @muir_mountain anyway? I think he fell off the trail somewhere. So, it is easy to say what kind of tree it ain't, much harder to say what it is mister....

Nice report and nice tribute from the German contingent.

What a beautiful looking place. I really must make it there one day. Great photos Nick.

I knew you would love it!! And ha! to Kodachrome!!!! I'm glad nilauro didn't fall off of that fence he's on :/ oh, fotographers.

I'm conflicted about what to think about you having not hiked in Bryce until now........sheesh! You must do Fairyland and Peek a Boo Loops. I want to say that Bryce got me started in my pull towards the West. I was out on a typical "see every park" two week vacation from Arkansas and pulled up to Fairyland. I was speechless........which wasn't so noticeable since I was alone......but I was Speechless!! I have been there on crystal clear winter days of minus 15. Slaps you in the face and says.....wow!

I like Bryce, in particular in the winter time when you freeze your butt off at sunrise. :)
I did most of your hikes with my german visitors, since they have never seen something like that before. They were really impressed.
Even though it is really busy in Bryce, there are still some spots where you can find solitude.

some great shots. I really like that Queen's Garden trail one. Both spectacular and very different from the normal Bryce ones

Beautiful! We will be hiking Bryce Canyon in November. Can't Wait!!!