Bullion band

westy

Just below the dark red cap rock of the Delamar Mountains high plateaus in the SW lies a band of golden-orange that gives a remarkable aesthetic to these deep twisting canyons. And I was fortunate enough to have good lighting for maximum visual pleasure. Love cloudy, windy days ! I got settled at Willow Spring late afternoon and casually wandered the ridge west for a couple hours.

_MG_8330.jpg

_MG_8339.jpg

Then a pleasant night in the truck for a casual start next morning

_MG_8349.jpg

to cross the ridge into the Delamar Canyons. Not long in the main channel and I came upon some petroglyphs.

_MG_8354.jpg

_MG_8358.jpg

Then I headed up one of the side draws to a hanging valley above

_MG_8432.jpg

_MG_8429.jpg

_MG_8425.jpg

before cresting onto the plateau above for the evening. After making camp I wandered some and enjoyed the chill air before sleep came.

_MG_8362.jpg

_MG_8363.jpg

_MG_8376.jpg

_MG_8382.jpg

_MG_8388.jpg

Next morning and I got another casual start to another casual day, heading back the same way to the truck. More clouds rolled in, and the wind was steady. Sunlight shifted over the landscape and it was hard to not sit and stare until nightfall. But I forced myself up and on after each attempt to prolong the day,

_MG_8439.jpg

_MG_8441.jpg

_MG_8453.jpg

_MG_8466.jpg

_MG_8477.jpg

_MG_8478.jpg

Then a final look back

_MG_8485.jpg

before the quick descent to the truck thru windy flats.

_MG_8487.jpg

Another relaxing time.

Oh yeah! In my thoughts my last hold out for a desert trip could be Lincoln County. Still not comfortable traveling 1000 miles in the current state of things and I am running out of time. Or this option: Flight to Vegas and SUV rental for 2 weeks less than 600 bucks! So glad you made it down into that canyon from Willow. Neat looking route. I heard rumors of petros and a name for that canyon (don't remember). Something significant went on there. Interesting to see the two very different ages to the petros, viewing the repatination on the underlying ones. When, why there?
How were the temps? Plenty of opportunity to go even higher to escape heat in that general area I suppose.
Love the pic of the tent and evening color on the ridge beyond!

Looks very relaxing, especially now. Mileage and temperatures? Did you have a tripod for the second and third video? Watching those takes all the stress out of my day.

Oh yeah! In my thoughts my last hold out for a desert trip could be Lincoln County. Still not comfortable traveling 1000 miles in the current state of things and I am running out of time. Or this option: Flight to Vegas and SUV rental for 2 weeks less than 600 bucks! So glad you made it down into that canyon from Willow. Neat looking route. I heard rumors of petros and a name for that canyon (don't remember). Something significant went on there. Interesting to see the two very different ages to the petros, viewing the repatination on the underlying ones. When, why there?
How were the temps? Plenty of opportunity to go even higher to escape heat in that general area I suppose.
Love the pic of the tent and evening color on the ridge beyond!

Weather was nice, hi 60's/lo 40's ? Was pretty breezy on the plateau, but one of those "crisp" breezes, not overly chilly. Things should be warming up nicely by May. Then the Mojave Greens come out, and I stay out. Seen too many closer than I care to. If you can swing it and want to, now's still a good time for the Mojave. And the higher Great Basin is getting comfortable too, depending on how high you go.

Looks very relaxing, especially now. Mileage and temperatures? Did you have a tripod for the second and third video? Watching those takes all the stress out of my day.

Think it was hi 60's/lo 40's ? Breeze kept it feeling cooler I am sure. And didn't cover but 4 0r 5 miles truck to camp. And no tripod, try to balance between the knees, or find a level rock. If I was smart I'd fill a ditty bag with sand for a nice malleable base.

And glad to help mellow your day.