Building my canoe

Yeah! Please do. A hand-laid up canoe is something to be proud of.

Dang, and I thought by hand-stitched skin-on-frame kayak was something to be proud of. Bravo sir, looks like a fine boat.

Excellent! How long will the canoe be?

It will be just under 16 feet long. I hope to have it done before it gets cold.

Here's the kicker, I have done less than half a dozen woodworking projects ever. It's totally something that just about anybody could do. Canoecraft by Ted Moores is pretty much the bible for canoe building.
I got my plans off of Northwest Canoe.

If you've got a couple hundred bucks for supplies, a couple hundred hours to work on it, and friends with a few tools, you've got what it takes to build one. Fortunately, the time requirement can be spread out over a number of months or years.

Beautiful.
How much will it weigh?

I'm excited for the progress. I've been planning to build one for a few years now, and (as with most things) life has happened so I haven't had the hours to devote to it...YET!!! Within the next three I should have the space and time to do it.

Please update regularly as I am very interested in the progress. I've read through canoecraft innumerable times, and just seeing yours gets me giddy!!!

Salud!

I'm excited for the progress. I've been planning to build one for a few years now, and (as with most things) life has happened so I haven't had the hours to devote to it...YET!!! Within the next three I should have the space and time to do it.

Please update regularly as I am very interested in the progress. I've read through canoecraft innumerable times, and just seeing yours gets me giddy!!!

Salud!

I've been woefully slow on updating my blog and my progress on the canoe, but just this week I've been able to post some of the process I've been through as I've gotten started. I should have a few more posts and pictures up soon.

Made a Pygmy brand kayak once. I know how much work it takes. Looks nice!

View attachment 35178

Progress as of last night. Hoping to be done with the strips by Saturday. Then it's a race against the weather, since I'll need to sand and fair the hull before I can fiberglass it.

Looking good!!! Too bad you don't live close (at least I don't think you do) and I'd try to come help and get pointers.

Looking good!!! Too bad you don't live close (at least I don't think you do) and I'd try to come help and get pointers.

Yeah, unless you're in mid-America, I'm not really that close. But, you'd be welcome to stop by if that wasn't the case. I've been detailing the process on my blog, including a few tips or gotchas that I've discovered as I've built it. Just look on my blog under the tag "canoe building".

Coming along very nicely! Once you're done, you should think about thru-paddling the 740 mile Northern Forest Canoe Trail. I can lend you the guide books and maps if you're interested.

Coming along very nicely! Once you're done, you should think about thru-paddling the 740 mile Northern Forest Canoe Trail. I can lend you the guide books and maps if you're interested.
Thanks for the offer. I've seen a bit about it and the Northern Forest Canoe Trail looks awesome. So many great places to paddle!