Budget Friendly Brands

WasatchWill

Ready For More
The thought just came to me that it would be good to start a thread listing some budget friendly brands of gear. Such a list could be useful for those who are more casual hikers and campers that only get out a couple times a year and can't justify spending much on more higher end gear, and those like myself who just have a tighter budget. It could also be helpful for scouts and others just starting out but not yet ready to invest a lot of money into some higher ended gear.

I'll start by listing some brands off the top of my mind that I've purchased gear from and found to be in the range of OK to really good for the price paid. Links to websites are included.

• Teton Sports - packs, bags, cots, pads, tents, pillows, etc. Available locally at Sportsmans Warehouse and via Amazon
  • Ledge Sports - packs, bags, tents, cots, tables, etc. Available locally at Sportsmans Warehouse and via Amazon
  • HighPeak USA - packs, bags, pads, mattresses, tents. Available locally at Recreation Outlet and online via Amazon.
  • Outdoor Products - packs, various accessories (stuff sacks, poles, hydration, etc). Typically found in abundance at Walmart stores, but also available in many other outdoor stores and sports store outdoor sections.
  • REI - packs, bags, pads, tents, apparel, and so on... REI manufactures a lot of gear under their own brand that is typically of great quality at slightly lower cost than high end brands that make comparable products. REI will put lot of their stuff on sale for up to 30% off during their annual Anniversary (May) and Fall (September/October) sales. REI stores are located nationwide and online.
  • Wilderness Technology - tents, bags, pads, hammocks, accessories, etc. Found locally and online at Recreation Outlet.
  • High Sierra - packs
  • Hi-Tec - specialize in footwear. Hi-Tec branded packs, pads, bags, and other gear can be found at Big 5 Sporting Goods stores.
  • Coleman - a little bit of everything. Known more for car camping gear but do make a few backpacker friendly items. Often have a good selection at Walmart.
  • Coghlans - accessories of all kinds at super cheap prices. Found just about anywhere outdoor products are sold.

These brands are, of course, only a sample of what's available out there for those who need to be cost-conscious. Keep in mind that when I say "available locally", I'm referring to the Wasatch Front here in Utah where I reside along with a great many other BCP members.

Of course, in many cases, you do get what you pay for, and if you frequent the outdoors more and more, it may be good to consider investing in some higher quality, lighter weight, more technical, and/or more durable gear. However, in many other instances, some of the gear made by the brands above are actually quite durable. Virtually anything can be found on Amazon if it can't be found in your local stores.

I will also mention Sierra Trading Post and REI-Outlet as places to shop some high-end name-brand gear, clothing, and other apparel at close out prices. Both will often offer coupon codes to get an additional 20% off an item.

If anyone else has good experience with other brands, please add them to the list.

Campsaver in Logan. Mail order and pickup. Carries a lot of lesser known brands as well as name brands