Bryce to Moab

Jammer

❤2Hike
I'm gearing up to set out on my next big hike in about thee weeks. As you may have guessed from the subject line, this time I'm going from Bryce to Moab. I'm going to retread some trails that I've done before and check out a few new places that I've never been. I'm excited.

If anybody is "in the neighborhood" I'd love to see you out there. I can't really do a formal meet-up as it might be hard for me to guarantee exactly where I will be on even given day, but my general plan shouldn't shift too much. I will have a SAT phone, so some communication is possible. So... if any of these dates/places synch up with your plans, let me know:

4/19 Rainbow Point, Bryce
4/22 Cottonwood Road
4/25 Red Breaks
4/27 Upper Muley Twist
4/30 Henry Mountains
5/4 Maze Overlook
5/7 Elephant Canyon
5/10 Canyon Rims
5/12 Behind the Rocks
5/13 Moab

And... if anybody has any unique advice for any of these places, I'd love to hear it: Snake Canyon, Castle Rock, Right Hand Collet Canyon, Red Breaks, Little Death Hollow, Copper Ridge, French Canyon, Shot/Water Canyons, Trough Springs Canyon and Behind the Rocks.

I'll post more details of my plan in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
- Jamal

Awesome, Jamal! I can't wait to hear about it and see your video/photos. I can't remember, do you carry a Spot that shows your progress where we can see it online? I don't know where I'll be just yet but I would love to run into you out there at some point!

Jamal - Which mountains in the Henry Range? I grew up at the base of Hillers and Ellsworth.

The plan right now is to cross the pass between Ellen and Pennel -- with some fun around Bromide Basin if time/weather permits.

That's a might scenic area you grew up in!

- Jamal

Awesome, Jamal! I can't wait to hear about it and see your video/photos. I can't remember, do you carry a Spot that shows your progress where we can see it online? I don't know where I'll be just yet but I would love to run into you out there at some point!

I don't use a SPOT -- but I have a relay set up with a SAT phone so that I can update coordinates and daily reports on my site. I'll post the info before I head out.

- Jamal

Thanks Nick!

This might be my last time with a "real" connection. Headed to Escalante now to get permits and drop a final cache, then back to Bryce to start!

Big thanks to Nick for the cache assist. I really hope the new "triple bag" system holds up against the rodents (and coyotes and cows.) All my other caches are the hard plastic.

Follow along via my blog if you guys get the chance. I hope to be doing updates every day or so... 160 characters at a time!

Thanks,
- Jamal

Have an amazing time, and best of luck. I can't wait to hear about it, and see another amazing video. Rock on!

Did I say Moab? :(

So... I am very sad to say that I had to abandon my hike on Day 11. Long story short, I got an infected blister and had a strained muscle in my leg. I will put together a full report for you guys soon, but for now you can see the basic details via my blog:

www.acrossutah.com/wordpress

I am bummed, but at least they didn't have to come and get me with a helicopter (I saw the Sand Creek rescue copter while I was headed through the Harris Wash area.)

Nick, thanks again for placing that cache. I drove out there yesterday to retrieve it and it was in the perfect place. I'm excited that the triple-bag system seems to have held up as well.

Ok -- that's the news for now. I'll post more after I sort through some pics.

- Jamal

Bummer, Jamal! Sorry to hear that but glad you still have all your toes. Especially sucky that you had to slog through Little Death in that condition. Heal up quick, looking forward to the pics/video!

glad you reached your meet up with your parents safely.
can't wait for the full trip report. the blog feels like such a teaser ;)
red breaks slots - those chokestones are some work, aren't they? i can't even imagine doing it with a full pack!

Ah man, that sucks. Glad your ok though!