Bryce Canyon winter conditions

pixie1339

Desperately Seeking Sandstone
The travel bug bit me in the ass again.:) I do a lot of planning ahead on my trips, but sometimes I decide I need to get away on pretty short notice. I'm kicking around the idea of going down to Bryce and Kodachrome Basin this weekend. I'd love to see the hoodoos with some fresh snow on them. I was curious about whether I could reasonably expect to do any hiking in the canyon without special gear, like snowshoes. I'd love to combine the Navajo and Peekaboo trails, but I realize it may not be possible. I know some of you have made a visit in the winter, so can anyone shed some light on the issue for me? Thanks!

I once went to Bryce Canyon in winter, right after a snow storm. It was wonderful, even though most of the viewpoints were closed because they hadn't cleaned the roads. I thought I could do some of the easier trails without snow shoes, but it was completely impossible. At least a foot of snow, in some areas much more, I had to fight my way to the viewpoints. It was awesome and I really enjoyed it. Even without hitting the trails.
I guess, it also depends on the amount of snow that has fallen before you go.
I would bring snow shoes, so you're on the safe side. Or rent them at Ruby's Inn. I think they have a rental place for winter equipment, but I'm not absolutely sure about it.

I once went to Bryce Canyon in winter, right after a snow storm. It was wonderful, even though most of the viewpoints were closed because they hadn't cleaned the roads. I thought I could do some of the easier trails without snow shoes, but it was completely impossible. At least a foot of snow, in some areas much more, I had to fight my way to the viewpoints. It was awesome and I really enjoyed it. Even without hitting the trails.
I guess, it also depends on the amount of snow that has fallen before you go.
I would bring snow shoes, so you're on the safe side. Or rent them at Ruby's Inn. I think they have a rental place for winter equipment, but I'm not absolutely sure about it.

Thank you Yvonne! It's been a pretty weak winter so far, but there should be some fresh snow coming in Friday morning, so I really don't know what to expect for trail conditions. I guess my best bet would be to stop at the Visitor Center and ask. I've never snowshoed before. I'd probably rather learn on an easier trail. Has anyone used the traction devices that you put over your shoes before?

Thank you Yvonne! It's been a pretty weak winter so far, but there should be some fresh snow coming in Friday morning, so I really don't know what to expect for trail conditions. I guess my best bet would be to stop at the Visitor Center and ask. I've never snowshoed before. I'd probably rather learn on an easier trail. Has anyone used the traction devices that you put over your shoes before?

my pleasure. And I would love to go again and see Bryce with fresh snow. I can't wait to see your pics.

Here are some of my older shots I took during the visit:

7663a2c2.jpg

The way from the parking lot to sunset point. They hadn't cleared the snow when we arrived.

It was pretty impressive, I can remember the fence line from last summer and it really was a lot of untouched powdery snow.

8ac6277d.jpg

walking along the rim trail

The snow stopped the minute we arrived at the park, it was perfect timing.
A lot of the viewpoints and most parts of the park road were closed, but it was still very impressive.

1139615209_rGRCj-L.jpg

1148807086_7FyWt-L.jpg

Bryce-Winter-L.jpg

For the snow shoeing: it's not really difficult to learn. Maybe a little bit strange in the beginning, but a perfect way to go ahead in deeper snow.
And it's less exhausting than just walking without.
I use those Yaktrax Extreme for general traction and during the winter months I always have mine in my car.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3667589&cp=3677336.11315559.3690027

I press both thumbs for you for this weekend and hopefully some fresh snow

my pleasure. And I would love to go again and see Bryce with fresh snow. I can't wait to see your pics.

Here are some of my older shots I took during the visit:

7663a2c2.jpg

The way from the parking lot to sunset point. They hadn't cleared the snow when we arrived.

It was pretty impressive, I can remember the fence line from last summer and it really was a lot of untouched powdery snow.

8ac6277d.jpg

walking along the rim trail

The snow stopped the minute we arrived at the park, it was perfect timing.
A lot of the viewpoints and most parts of the park road were closed, but it was still very impressive.

1139615209_rGRCj-L.jpg

1148807086_7FyWt-L.jpg

Bryce-Winter-L.jpg

For the snow shoeing: it's not really difficult to learn. Maybe a little bit strange in the beginning, but a perfect way to go ahead in deeper snow.
And it's less exhausting than just walking without.
I use those Yaktrax Extreme for general traction and during the winter months I always have mine in my car.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3667589&cp=3677336.11315559.3690027

I press both thumbs for you for this weekend and hopefully some fresh snow

Awesome! Thanks for your help. I love your photos! I'm thinking that even if I can't hike into the canyon a hike along the Rim Trail would still be worth the trip. I'll probably stop by REI tomorrow and see if I can find something like the Yaktrax. Thanks again!

Wow, Yvonne. Those Bryce winter shots are KILLER! If I didn't have a broken ankle I think I'd want to head down there this weekend. :cry:

Wow, Yvonne. Those Bryce winter shots are KILLER! If I didn't have a broken ankle I think I'd want to head down there this weekend. :cry:

it is definitely broken? Oh dear...
I hope you get well soon, Nick . You should get a sleigh and teach your dog to pull you.

But I suffer a little bit with you. Still have my bruised and swollen left leg from the fall in a ditch two weeks ago.
At least it doesn't hurt much, but getting into any kind of winter boots is almost impossible.:mad:
Hopefully I'm back on track next week... I originally wanted to check out some waterfalls this weekend

it is definitely broken? Oh dear...
I hope you get well soon, Nick . You should get a sleigh and teach your dog to pull you.

But I suffer a little bit with you. Still have my bruised and swollen left leg from the fall in a ditch two weeks ago.
At least it doesn't hurt much, but getting into any kind of winter boots is almost impossible.:mad:
Hopefully I'm back on track next week... I originally wanted to check out some waterfalls this weekend

No, my bad, I say broken but more in the sense of not working than actual broken bones. Although it is hurting more and swelling more now than before. Not good. :( Hope yours heals faster than mine! I have a camping trip to a yurt at 10k feet scheduled in a bit over 2 weeks and I'm going to be sad sad sad if I can't go. :cry:

No, my bad, I say broken but more in the sense of not working than actual broken bones.

that's why I was a little bit confused.

Although it is hurting more and swelling more now than before. Not good. :( Hope yours heals faster than mine! I have a camping trip to a yurt at 10k feet scheduled in a bit over 2 weeks and I'm going to be sad sad sad if I can't go. :cry:

I press both thumbs for you :twothumbs:
Even if you heard it at least a thousand times so far, just rest, elevate your feet, apply the RICE method. And eventually it's healing faster than you expect.
I guess I need one one week for a full recovery. I had such silly accidents before, so I know what to expect. :)

But hiking at 10k feet and camping during that time of the year sounds really exiting.

Wish I could have gotten on this sooner, I was just there a couple weekend ago. Some of the more popular trails had ice on them in some of the shady parts, a lot of the longer trails had snow/ice packed. I had microspikes that I wore and made for an easier time compared to a bunch of people who didn't have any type of traction. As you can see when I went the hoodoos weren't covered with snow. It has been a dry winter. I went the same time last year and the hoodoos were covered in snow and we could actually wear snowshoes (although microspikes would have worked than as well).

Regardless, it was a great trip and the weather was perfect while we were there.

Wish I could have gotten on this sooner, I was just there a couple weekend ago. Some of the more popular trails had ice on them in some of the shady parts, a lot of the longer trails had snow/ice packed. I had microspikes that I wore and made for an easier time compared to a bunch of people who didn't have any type of traction. As you can see when I went the hoodoos weren't covered with snow. It has been a dry winter. I went the same time last year and the hoodoos were covered in snow and we could actually wear snowshoes (although microspikes would have worked than as well).

Regardless, it was a great trip and the weather was perfect while we were there.

Better late than never.:) I just got back last night. It snowed between your visit and mine, but it still wasn't heavy snow like in Yvonne's pictures. The trails looked pretty icy. I bought a pair of Yaktrak Pros the night before I left, but upon seeing the trails I knew they weren't going to cut it. Should have gone with the spikes. I was able to go to all the overlooks and get some nice pictures, though. I really enjoyed the solitude. I also went back to Bryce for sunrise yesterday. Gorgeous! All the hiking I ended up doing was at Kodachrome Basin, which was beautiful but challenging in its own right (snow+clay based soil= 5 pounds of muddy mess clinging to your shoes as you hike).