Bryce Backpacking - Under the Rim

Nick

-
Anyone here ever backpacked the Under the Rim trail in Bryce Canyon? Or perhaps any experience with the Bryce permit system? Thinking about doing it next month and I'm curious what spots to shoot for and any other info on the route. It looks like Bryce has no sort of reservation system so we'll be stuck with whats available when we show up.

Pretty sure theres a sign below Bryce Point at the fork of the trail that leads to the backpacking sites informing hikers that they will not be camping and hiking within hoodoos. I thought it was pretty funny because lots of people must of complained for a sign to be erected.

Maybe its awesome ... I've never done it.

haven't planned any details yet, but it's on my list for June or July. Still need to do some research for reliable springs, there are a few.
I think I remember you can only pic up your permit at the backcountry office the day before your trip.
Keep me updated if you go earlier than I.

I did a loop down Bryce Point past the Hat Shop camped at Yellow Creek and exited up Swamp Canyon in 2011.

I believe permits are just walk up. Bear cannisters are required (free for loan by NPS). You can coordinate with the park shuttles for a free pickup if you can give them a precise time to eliminate road walking to close the loop. I lucked out and picked up a ride back to my truck with a passing park law enforcement ranger which saved me six or so miles of road walking.

Views from Yellow Creek up to Paria View are nice. Some day I will go back and do the length of Under the Rim. Only saw one other hiker on the trail during my overnight.

Big views from the rim as I started down
uploadfromtaptalk1368061810360.jpg

The Hat Shop
uploadfromtaptalk1368061777797.jpg

Camp at Yellow Creek
uploadfromtaptalk1368061755870.jpg

View up from Yellow Creek
uploadfromtaptalk1368061793610.jpg

good to know with the park shuttle. I need to keep that in mind
I planned to ride my bike back instead of walking the road

During the peak season I don't even think you need to plan it with them. Pretty sure it runs each day between normal hours and you can just finish up on the end and wait for the next shuttle. It starts running on May 10th this year. I actually thought about doing this last weekend but didn't because of that.

During the peak season I don't even think you need to plan it with them. Pretty sure it runs each day between normal hours and you can just finish up on the end and wait for the next shuttle. It starts running on May 10th this year. I actually thought about doing this last weekend but didn't because of that.

There are actually two shuttle routes; one that services the near front country overlooks and runs at regular intervals but only goes as far as Bryce Point--not really useful for backpackers. The other shuttle only runs 2x daily and goes all the way out to Rainbow Point--requires reservations (free) and you have to plan your entry/exit to coincide with one of the two daily passes.

Whenever I end up going back for the full under the rim route, I am thinking I will take the AM shuttle to Rainbow Point, do the Riggs Loop an then hike back under the rim to Bryce Point and past all the front country touristy overlooks to the VC

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
steve Backpacking the Under the Rim Trail in Bryce Canyon National Park Backpacking 12
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
chandlerwest Bryce Canyon - Under The Rim Trail Hiking & Camping 0
J Escalante Natl. Mon. to Bryce N.P. the (unknown) Final Dayhikes April 15-16, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
swmalone Bryce Canyon Family Trip Hiking & Camping 10
WasatchWill Bryce Canyon and Beyond Hiking & Camping 8
A Any Tips for Bryce in November? Trip Planning 5
K TR: Under the Rim First segment - Bryce Canyon Backpacking 3
Nick Busy in Bryce Hiking & Camping 11
Nick Primitive spots north/west of Bryce Trip Planning 17
MVS Bryce Canyon General Discussion 1
steve Reliable Water Sources in Bryce NP backcountry? General Discussion 4
Christian Bryce, GSENM and Capitol Reef Hiking & Camping 17
Seldom Seen Anderson Camping Near Bryce Trip Planning 2
barl0w Bryce Canyon NP Trip Planning 1
T-Mac Bryce Canyon & Willis Creek Hiking & Camping 9
Dave Capitol Reef, Grand Staircase-Escalante, Bryce Canyon (March 24-27, 2011) Hiking & Camping 15
Jammer Bryce to Little Death Hollow Backpacking 20
IntrepidXJ Sunrise in Bryce and the Drive Home Hiking & Camping 7
IntrepidXJ An Evening at Bryce Canyon Hiking & Camping 1
AustinCronnelly Camping near Bryce? Trip Planning 2
Jammer Bryce to Moab Trip Planning 18
A Invite Bryce/Zion around May 14th or May 21st Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Archbishop Video of HWY 12 through Utah. From Torrey to Bryce. General Discussion 2
Tyler Coyote Buttes North, Paige, & Bryce Canyon Feb. 2011 Hiking & Camping 12
pixie1339 Bryce Canyon winter conditions Trip Planning 11
B 3P Backpacking Tent Recommendation and Nemo Aurora feedback Gear 3
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
J Backpacking in the UK Backpacking 1
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
forest dweller What do you think are the most essential nutrients while backpacking? General Discussion 17
B 2P Backpacking Tent Recommendation Gear 13
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
forest dweller You guys keep a backpacking gear checklist in Microsoft Word you don't mind sharing? General Discussion 13
forest dweller I have tons of backpacking food past it's expired by date... General Discussion 10
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
DrNed Backpacking Light Memberships Resource Discussions 6
ANelson Backpacking with a 600MM Lens General Discussion 13
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
R Backpacking in the Pacific Northwest Trip Planning 7
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer 6 days backpacking Jotunheimen in the fall Trip Reports 4
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5