Books

Aldaron

I'm trying to get some pointers for deep non-technical canyons, so I pulled out Kelsey's Non-Technical book. As a former English teacher, reading a Kelsey book is akin to shoving hot pokers into my eyes. Does anyone have suggestions on how to digest his books more easily, or suggestions for other books covering non-technical canyons?

I'm afraid that he's just a necessary evil, but I'd sure like to be able to get through 10 minutes of reading without wanting to scream.

Maybe I should use that degree to write my own book...

I'm trying to get some pointers for deep non-technical canyons, so I pulled out Kelsey's Non-Technical book. As a former English teacher, reading a Kelsey book is akin to shoving hot pokers into my eyes. Does anyone have suggestions on how to digest his books more easily, or suggestions for other books covering non-technical canyons?

I'm afraid that he's just a necessary evil, but I'd sure like to be able to get through 10 minutes of reading without wanting to scream.

Maybe I should use that degree to write my own book...

Heh, I feel your pain. The best way to go about making sense of his maps is to treat them like those autostereogram wall posters that were popular in the 80s. Just cross your eyes, and it'll all make sense ;) Otherwise, you just have to suffer through his frenetic ramblings and make the best of it. But be sure to add some minutes on to his suggested times--dude was a billy goat.

I stopped using his books a while ago. I believe he said the time for the Owl/Fish Creek loop was 8 hours. Instead of fotos showing him looking at ruins he should have pics showing him running by.

I stopped using his books a while ago. I believe he said the time for the Owl/Fish Creek loop was 8 hours. Instead of fotos showing him looking at ruins he should have pics showing him running by.

Hahaha! Hilarious! :roflmao:

But back to the OP, I don't know of any great resources for deep non-tech canyons. I think your best bet is to glean what you can from regional books that may cover them. Aside from that, I think the best bet would be to post on BCP and see who might have info you're looking for.

Heh, I feel your pain. The best way to go about making sense of his maps is to treat them like those autostereogram wall posters that were popular in the 80s. Just cross your eyes, and it'll all make sense ;)

I think you might be on to something! At least I could turn it into a game rather than a physically revolting experience! :)

But back to the OP, I don't know of any great resources for deep non-tech canyons. I think your best bet is to glean what you can from regional books that may cover them. Aside from that, I think the best bet would be to post on BCP and see who might have info you're looking for.

Thanks, Nick. I'm thinking of checking out some new canyons (for me) in the Roost this weekend, and then I'll come back and try to articulate exactly what I'm looking for and see if anyone has any suggestions.