Boatpacking Lees Ferry

Deadeye008

Hambone
Been a while since I've posted a trip on here. A couple buddies and I took an overnight fishing trip down to the Lees Ferry area of the Colorado River to escape the cold in January. We launched our boat at Lees Ferry and motored up to our campsite which was located on the famous horseshoe bend. It was an amazing campsite with some amazing views. The water in this section of the Colorado is crystal clear and stays cool year round. Most of the fish in this part of the river are either Rainbow Trout or a hybrid Cutthroat/Rainbow (Cuttbow). We had a great time fishing and enjoying the warmer weather. Most of the fish we caught were around 13" with a few bigger ones around 16" but nothing very big. This is definitely one of the most scenic places I've ever fished.

zeduhu7e.jpg

yda3a2ar.jpg udu5ypam.jpg u3u4aba7.jpg paje5e6e.jpg e8a4ydeh.jpg dusa8ydy.jpg avype2a3.jpg a7u7enu5.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I've been enjoying your pics on Flickr when posted. This looks like a nice way to spend a weekend.

Was the fishing pretty hot? Even if they were on the small side.

Sweeet!!! I miss your trip reports man. I'm hoping to do a lot more fishing this year now that I have a boat and so I've been looking at your trips for inspiration. Thanks for posting!

P.S. Tapatalk had the pics you uploaded all screwy so I moved them to the BCP server so they'd display on desktop correctly. You should try the new mobile-friendly version of the site on your phone. Way better than TT! :)

Sweeet!!! I miss your trip reports man. I'm hoping to do a lot more fishing this year now that I have a boat and so I've been looking at your trips for inspiration. Thanks for posting!

P.S. Tapatalk had the pics you uploaded all screwy so I moved them to the BCP server so they'd display on desktop correctly. You should try the new mobile-friendly version of the site on your phone. Way better than TT! :)

Cool. Thanks. I'll have to check out the mobile-friendly version.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

After spending 2 hours standing in 35 degree water today in heavy snowfall trying to tempt a winter steelhead to hop on one of my flies, it's nice to see someone's warm weather fishing photos! Nice report, thanks for sharing!

After spending 2 hours standing in 35 degree water today in heavy snowfall trying to tempt a winter steelhead to hop on one of my flies, it's nice to see someone's warm weather fishing photos! Nice report, thanks for sharing!

You in Idaho? I usually make a trip every Feb/March up near Kooskia to fish for steelhead.

You in Idaho? I usually make a trip every Feb/March up near Kooskia to fish for steelhead.

I'm in Michigan, we've had a rough winter when it comes to getting on the river fly fishing, though there are a huge number of steelhead in the river this year. It's been colder than normal and rivers that don't typically freeze over are solid. It warmed up to 30 today and we lucked upon some open water, felt good to make a few casts (between clearing ice from guides). We're counting down the days until we'll be fishing out there!

@Deadeye008 What did you have to do in terms of fishing license? I understand fishing arizona side of lake powell requires no special reciprocal license (assuming you've UT license), but colorado river below the dam probably isn't considered part of lake powell. I am going there next weekend, but will just fish lees ferry area one day likely.

@Deadeye008 What did you have to do in terms of fishing license? I understand fishing arizona side of lake powell requires no special reciprocal license (assuming you've UT license), but colorado river below the dam probably isn't considered part of lake powell. I am going there next weekend, but will just fish lees ferry area one day likely.

Sorry for the late response. I didn't see this comment. I had to buy an AZ license. Since it's $20 per day or $50 for the year I just bought the year.