Bleak, Brown, and Dreary--and Other Niceties

Papa Dave

Creator of Dadventures!
So this was meant to be the kind of trip report that made you feel good whatever your last hike was. Sort of like a public service effort in terms of compare and contrast.

You see, We hit mud. We timed our fall hike too late in the season to where ALL the foliage was gone. It was colder than we expected (AND I forgot some cold weather gear). As this was a new hike to us, I thought I was high enough in elevation to walk among some pines. Nope. My kids for the most part thought it was ugly.

See? Does your last hike suddenly feel like a much bigger success?

Then I hit a snag with my intentions when I actually looked at the photos.

DSC_0232.JPG

No green to be seen, sure. But also, those are all four of my awesome kids (all of them, awesome daughters). No technology, no distraction. We're outside. Hmm. My pity party is already taking a dangerous hit.

This is a hike in northern Utah. For those interested, it's a jumping-off point called Art Nord, up Ogden Canyon. Art Nord to Green Pond to be precise.

DSC_0233.JPG

And I'm sorry. I know I promised dreary late-fall landscape, but I can't help but find the rugged beauty in this. I imagine at least some of you can agree with me on this point, even though my kids didn't.

DSC_0241.JPG

I mean, seriously, doesn't this look like the makings of a good and proper haunted forest? What's lurking around that corner? This is the kind of enclosed trail that always makes the imagination-fueled child in me sit up and take notice. And, since we're also in part checking out future snowshoe trails, I couldn't help but imagine these trees covered in snow. That'll be breathtaking.
DSC_0249.JPG

And now for the final nail in the woe-is-me coffin. (Sorry folks, I tried to make this miserable!) But how can a trip be bogus when there's good food involved? I like sampling backpacking recipes on day hikes just for fun, and this Root Bark Stew from the Backpacking Chef website (am I allowed to include links to stuff like that in here?) was AWESOME! Here it is in its dehydrated state.

DSC_0274.JPG

And now in its rehydrated glorious goodness. Delish!
DSC_0286.JPG

The younger kids tried out and also enjoyed some dehydrated mac 'n cheese (Mountain House). But that root bark was the hit of the day for the rest of us.
DSC_0287.JPG

So there you have it. No, I don't find these pics to be nearly as inspiring as most of what I've come across in my short time perusing this site. But they still reminded my that even when things don't turn out as planned, any day outside is a good day. It was a good day with my girls.

I don't know anybody else, but I like landscapes without trees so this looked nice to me.

The first picture of your youngest in her kitty hat is unbelievably cute.