Blacks Fork Commissary

uintahiker

Adventure Guru
Re-post from my blog at www.livevicariouslythroughus.blogspot.com

I've had Blacks Fork Commissary on my list of places to visit for quite a long time, so this last weekend we made it happen. It's a little over 2 hours from the Wasatch Front and isn't really near anywhere, but that's part of why I wanted to go there! We drove in from the north past Meeks Cabin Reservoir for two reasons: I wanted to stop at Piedmont, Wyoming on the way and the road over Elizabeth Ridge can be pretty washboardy and I didn't want to drive it twice.
We pulled in about dusk, and rapidly pitched our tent right next to one of the old buildings. Camping in a ghost town- how cool is that! The kids had a hard time going to sleep, maybe because we were in a ghost town, but finally dozed off. In the morning everybody was happy and excited for breakfast. I pulled out my Coleman Stove and fried up a bunch of "toads-in-the roads". After pulling the middle out of a piece of bread, I cracked an egg into it and put some cheese in it. A fried egg and toast in one easy to handle package! It's the ultimate camping breakfast. Even before we were done eating everyone was anxious to go explore the buildings.
There are a dozen or so log buildings at Blacks Fork Commissary. Most of them no longer have roofs as the buildings are slowly decaying. I'm not quite sure why the town was built here, other than to cut lumber to send down to use for the railroad or something else. In the general area there are several more tie-hack cabins, the West Fork of Blacks Fork having the ones that are most well known.
We found several old glass and pottery shards, and an old button. Remnants from when people lived here.
My favorite cabin was on the south side. It had 2 buildings, with the roofs partially intact, with a dog-trot breezeway in the middle. There was even some dirt chinking still between some of the logs.
It's a great place to wander around at- if you like details and old buildings, there's so much to see in a small place !
It's only about 10 miles past the turnoff to the West Fork of Blacks Fork, which can be pretty popular. If you're up that way, I highly recommend taking a little detour and checking out the Commissary.

Headed up here this weekend! :) I've always wanted to check it out. Maybe I can get some good pics with a fresh dusting of snow! Either way, I'll post them here!

well, we never made it up there, as we had planned, but it has been added to the list of "we're going no matter what this year" list. Our daughter should have a blast!

@Jay Corcoran welcome to BCP! Blacks Fork Commissary is pretty cool. That whole area of the Uintas is really fun. If you're up for a hike, there are some other tie hack cabins not too farup the West Fork of Blacks Fork from the trailhead. The fishing is also really good as you get higher up.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J How is the dirt road to the East Fork of Blacks Fork TH? Trip Planning 1
Perry Middle Fork Blacks Fork Ridge Way Trail - Does It Exist? Hiking & Camping 5
Perry West Fork Blacks Fork River Crossing 2017 Trip Planning 9
JoshuaDyal West Fork Blacks Fork, week of June 29th Backpacking 13
Nick Red Castle & Little East Fork Blacks Fork, Uintas Backpacking 14
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
wsp_scott Big South Fork Bikepacking Backpacking 1
RyanP The Plug exit of Pictograph Fork (Maze) Trip Planning 15
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
wsp_scott Honey Creek (Big South Fork) Backpacking 9
regehr Wilson Fork, Millcreek, Wasatch Hiking & Camping 1
Perry Henry's Fork Basin - Camp Site Suggestions Trip Planning 3
A Wind Rivers: Clear Lake, Faler Lake and Roaring Fork General Discussion 7
scatman Grandeur and Church Fork Peaks Loop - May 29, 2021 Hiking & Camping 19
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
wsp_scott Big South Fork Views Backpacking 14
scatman Church Fork Peak - November 28, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
scatman Broads Fork Twin Peaks - July 14, 2020 Hiking & Camping 20
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
scatman Mount Raymond via Bowman Fork - June 27, 2020 Hiking & Camping 6
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
Dhuff3243 North Fork Robbers Roost and Blarney canyon Trip Planning 0
P West fork of Salt Creek? Trip Planning 4
F Coyote Gulch via Dry Fork? Trip Planning 2
Ross Anyone want to do East Fork Fat Man's Misery-Barracks-Labyrinth Falls Oct 15 (tues) Trip Planning 0
DrNed Cell service in American Fork Canyon will be a reality by 2020 General Discussion 13
Ross Invite Boundary/Kolob/Narrows & East Fork Fat Man’s/Labyrinth Falls (Oct) Meet Up (Members Only) 4
fossana Grand Gulch Pt 1 - Slickhorn 3rd to Trail Fork loop Hiking & Camping 6
Windy Middle Fork Salmon 2018 On The Water 9
DrNed Red Castle Kings Peak Henry's Fork Take Two Backpacking 8
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6
McKee80 Glacier NP, part 2. North Fork, Sept 2018 Backpacking 11
regehr Mill B North Fork Hiking & Camping 6
scatman Broads Fork Twin Peaks, Robinson's Variation - September 29, 2018 Hiking & Camping 14
Miya Stuart Fork TH Again Backpacking 6
DrNed Upper Henry's Fork Lakes Trip Planning 1
blueeyes Few Questions for Diamond Fork area. Trip Planning 4
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3
Tystevens Henry's Fork -- Red Castle loop from China Meadows Backpacking 2
Jackson Southern Absarokas - Cub Creek and South Buffalo Fork Backpacking 9
wsp_scott Packrafting the Big South Fork (KY) On The Water 7
George_Washington_Hayduke Zero G & Right Fork Of Leprechaun Canyon Canyoneering 2
regehr Three of the Four American Fork Twin Peaks Hiking & Camping 10
WasatchWill Back to Diamond Fork & Fifth Water Hot Springs Backpacking 8
cmgz Right Fork-Zion NP Canyoneering 5
Jmr Davis to Trail Fork Trip Planning 0
WasatchWill UHT - Day 5: West Fork Black Fork to Olga Lake Backpacking 2