Bisti Wilderness Area

Another place for the to-do list!
Bit of drift here- could make sense to combine Bisti with Chaco Canyon (never been), but it looks like a roundabout route to get there from Bisti. No shortcuts? Also- we have spent a lot of time hiking at Cedar Mesa, Comb Ridge, etc - would Chaco seem a little "regimented" after enjoying the freedom of exploring on our own?

Reactions: Jmr
Another place for the to-do list!
Bit of drift here- could make sense to combine Bisti with Chaco Canyon (never been), but it looks like a roundabout route to get there from Bisti. No shortcuts? Also- we have spent a lot of time hiking at Cedar Mesa, Comb Ridge, etc - would Chaco seem a little "regimented" after enjoying the freedom of exploring on our own?

from what I read, getting to Chaco from Bisti is too long of a drive. I think the way to get there is via 550 (371 is the main road that is close to Bisti). Also, I think the road to Chaco is not in the best shape.

@SteveR Chaco will probably seem more regimented to you, but it is a different type of experience than Bisti.... think of it as a gallery or museum. Exploring Chaco is more of a history and art experience. It is scenic in a different way. All that being said there are some longer more remote hiking trails to some outliers if you are interested. Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah is closer to Chaco than Bisti... I don't know the route though and don't trust any of the off highway roads if the weather is bad.

@Carlos thanks for the TR and pics. Very Nice!!

@SteveR Chaco will probably seem more regimented to you, but it is a different type of experience.... think of it as a gallery or museum. Exploring Chaco is more of a history and art experience. It is scenic in a different way. All that being said there are some longer more remote hiking trails to some outliers if you are interested. Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah is closer to Chaco than Bisti... I don't know the route though and don't trust any of the off highway roads if the weather is bad.

@Carlos thanks for the TR and pics. Very Nice!!
oh yes, my next post will be about Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah, another weird place : )

You can get to Chaco from Bisti pretty easily taking the back-roads. I was in the area last Thanksgiving and had no problems getting between the two. All the roads I took were graded and easy for just about any vehicle...as long as they are dry.

Never been to Bisti but in terms of Chaco, I went there in early June of 2015 and the road was pretty tame, passengers cars with no 4 wheel or high clearance can make it in good conditions. No idea how it is nowadays though. I am one who dislikes crowds as well and has been to a couple places in Cedar Mesa. Chaco was not crowded at all, barely anyone at the pueblos besides Pueblo Bonito, a lot of places had no one, or maybe a few others were there. That's hit or miss though, it could be more crowded but I think the road scares people off.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
piper01 Bisti Badlands Wilderness Area, New Mexico Hiking & Camping 5
Dreamer Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness 4/19-21/21 Backpacking 14
C Bisti and Ah Shi Sle Pah hiking Trip Planning 0
Ross Invite Cathedral Valley,Halls Creek.Happy canyon,Bisti,Caineville Mesa + more Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Noun Sequitur A Little Bit of Bisti Everything Else 25
ROKTAXI Bisti Badlands 3/2015 Hiking & Camping 5
F Bob Marshall Wilderness, Montana, July / August, 2023, part 2 of 3 Backpacking 4
F Bob Marshall Wilderness, Montana, July / August, 2023, part 1 of 3 Backpacking 6
U motor vehicles in the Canaan Mountain Wilderness General Discussion 4
Bob Teton Wilderness July 2024 Trip Planning 40
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
shredhiker Ansel Adams Wilderness October 2023 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
randakag Rawah Wilderness "Lollipop" Loop - September 2023 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
TheMountainRabbit Bob Marshall Wilderness - September 2023 Backpacking 8
marquiri Uncompahgre Wilderness Trip Planning 13
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
TheMountainRabbit Invite Bob Marshall Wilderness, September 2023 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
RockyMntCol Cloud Peak Wilderness Loop Trip Planning 1
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
Bob Teton Wilderness Trip Planning 2
shredhiker Eagles Nest Wilderness June 30 2023 Backpacking 7
W Paper map for Teton Wilderness (Younts Peak) Gear 4
forest dweller The story of a frustrated middle aged suburban wilderness lover! General Discussion 35
wabenho Big Pine Lakes – John Muir Wilderness Backpacking 6
canadug Jarbidge Wilderness General Discussion 12
C Teton Wilderness Early July Trip Planning 16
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 9 of 9, 7-29 & 30, /2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 8 of 9, 7/28/2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 7 of 9, July 26-27, 2022 Backpacking 13
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 6, 7/25/2022 Backpacking 17
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 5 of 9, 7/23-24, 2022 Backpacking 10
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 4 of 9, 7/22, 2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 3 of 9, 7/20-21, 2022 Backpacking 2
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 2, 7/19/2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 1, 7/15-18, 2022 Backpacking 13
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32