Bison Peak, Lost Creek Wilderness, CO

kimbur96

Got out this weekend for my first back packing trip in Colorado. Bison Peak is in the Lost Creek Wilderness area of Pikes Peak National Forest. I took the Ute Creek Trail that heads up 4 miles to intersect with the Brookside-McCurdy Trail and then followed that the Bison Ridge. There is no real trail to the actual peak you just pick an approach.

The Ute Creek trail starts out in the 9,000ft range and climbs 3,800ft to Bison Peak ridge in 6 miles. I'm not going to lie this trail kicked my butt hard! It's steep and the unrelenting climb in the altitude with a 27# pack ground me into the earth. I thought several times I might not reach the summit. As I passed 11,000 feet I was reduced to taking 10 steps and then catching my breath. I repeated this cycle for what seemed like hours. Finally I reached the ridge of the summit.

I had been concerned about water supply at the summit and had been restricting my water in case the snow patches I had been told were there 5 days ago had melted in our recent hot days. But once I crested the ridge there where plenty of 30-40 foot patches to melt for water. I sat in the shade and drank plentifully. I ate a little and just chilled. Then I got to business of setting up camp. Everything is work at 12,000ft, even fluffing your down bag feels like work. Next i filled trash compacter bag I use as a pack liner with snow and got busy making water. By now 2 hours had passed and I was feeling a lot better. I grabbed my camera and bottle of water and headed for the summit.

The summit is an impressive boulder field. I picked my way up to the top and was rewarded when i finally found the summit sign and metal box with a summit register. I proudly jotted my name on the paper and took in the views. Back at camp i made dinner and small fire. I thought I might get some good star shots up here but as the sun set the clouds rolled in. No stars tonight. I was beat and turned in for the night. Sunday morning i made my coffee and breakfast and broke camp. I was on the trail heading down by 7:15a.m. Going down gives the quads and knees a tough work out but it was easy peasy for the lungs on the way down. My legs were tired from yesterdays ascent and I cursed every time the trail dare take a slight uphill curve. Soon enough i was back at my car, exhausted, and proud. It was no 14er but a hell of a start for this Florida girl. IMG_5354.jpg
The trail head starts by crossing a river.
IMG_5378.jpg
My camp, nestled up against the rock to try and find a little wind protection.
IMG_5383.jpg
This pinnacle is huge, if you look closely you'll see two hikers at the base to put it in perspective.
IMG_5390.jpg
More cool rock formations.
IMG_5399.jpg
It's official I am at the top! 12,431 feet
IMG_5405.jpg
The views from the ridge. I believe that is Torreys 14er (if I was using the peak finder app correctly )
IMG_5404.jpg Sun dawning on the ridge where I was camped.

Last edited:
I feel your pain! I live around 50 feet above sea level, so my lungs are always the first part of my body to give out at higher elevations.

I'm also super-jealous of your move. :)

Those pinnacles are awesome. They look like mountain versions of the needles.
I thought they were so cool. If i hadn't been alone i would have done some more exploring climbing around on them. But going solo I tend to error on the side of caution.

Nice report! I was thinking of heading to the LCW next weekend with my son. How was the heat? I'm a little nervous that it may be too hot at that elevation with our current heat wave.

Nice report! I was thinking of heading to the LCW next weekend with my son. How was the heat? I'm a little nervous that it may be too hot at that elevation with our current heat wave.

I thought the weather was very comfortable. That being said I just moved here from Florida so the lack of humidity makes everything feel cooler to me. A good portion of the trail is shaded. I got a late start not making it to the TH until 8:30 and it was very comfortable for the first couple of hours. By mid day the sun was hot but again there were trees every 20 feet that you could duck into some shade. From about 10,000ft up there was a slight breeze and on top of the ridge it was windy most of the time. NOAA had predicted 75/49 for temps and I'd say that felt about right. Here is the link to the NOAA site to check the weather, for location just put in Tarryall Mountains, CO. As you type it in it should populate the box and it will give you detailed weather for that area. Definitely lots of sunblock though, even with 50spf i got some sunburn. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.23220891900047&lon=-105.5280577259997#.V2fjQFciGFA

Great report. Thanks.
How do you like the Moment DW at altitude?

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Great report. Thanks.
How do you like the Moment DW at altitude?

Wayne

The tent did better at altitude than i did, lol. I've been very happy with my Moment DW. I just recently bought the solid inner liner now that I live where it's bit chillier at night. This particular trip it was in the 40's over night with steady winds 15-17mph and gust up too 25mph according to NOAA and my little tent did great. I did buy the optional crossbar which really helps it hold it's shape, and should make it good in snow too.

The tent did better at altitude than i did, lol. I've been very happy with my Moment DW. I just recently bought the solid inner liner now that I live where it's bit chillier at night. This particular trip it was in the 40's over night with steady winds 15-17mph and gust up too 25mph according to NOAA and my little tent did great. I did buy the optional crossbar which really helps it hold it's shape, and should make it good in snow too.
Thank you for the field report.
How is the sleep system working for you?
Cheers!
Wayne

Thank you for the field report.
How is the sleep system working for you?
Cheers!
Wayne

I was toasty warm this time, didn't even use the bag liner. I did wrap my parka over my old, cold rump and it was fine. :)

I was toasty warm this time, didn't even use the bag liner. I did wrap my parka over my old, cold rump and it was fine. :)
So glad you've found a good nights sleep in your nice bag. Never skimp on your sleeping bag. Far too many people cheap out on their bag and then complain that they don't like backpacking.
Looking forward to your future trips.
Wayne