Best Dog-Friendly Hikes in Utah

Bob Palin

Killer
Nice lists - how about a sub list?

Best Day Hikes in Utah With Dogs

I like to let Biff run free on our hikes, he's well behaved and rarely wanders more than 100 feet from me, but of course even that isn't allowed in the National Parks.

Nice lists - how about a sub list?

Best Day Hikes in Utah With Dogs

I like to let Biff run free on our hikes, he's well behaved and rarely wanders more than 100 feet from me, but of course even that isn't allowed in the National Parks.

Great idea, Bob. I moved your post to a brand new thread on the topic. I have three big dogs so I'm particularly interested in this topic. :)

I wish I could help here, but I have found most people want trails and I have a tendency to go places that they don't exist.. I would say that heading up to wall lake is a nice hike with the pups along.

Grand Staircase-Escalante is like mecca for hiking with dogs, in my opinion.

Some of my favorite dog-friendly hikes in Escalante:

Death Hollow
5055608643_7a2cd9fa7d_b.jpg

The Escalante River Gorge
5484433380_d0e481b0d0_b.jpg

Harris Wash
5452152843_2ebf557097_b.jpg

Salt lake people: How is Emigration Canyon or City Creek for hiking with dogs? They're allowed in those canyons, right?

Just about any hike in the San Rafael Reef is great for dogs. Pick any (non-technical) canyon or point on top of the Reef and just go--you and your dog will almost certainly have a good time.

Despite nearly killing off Nikita this weekend, I'd like to add the Little Death Hollow, Wolverine and Horse canyon areas to the list of great dog hikes. There was a bit of boulder negotiating that was tough for Nikita but it was otherwise great and there were even occasional seeps that provided extra water. The nearly killing her off is probably more because she is a 10 year old dog that doesn't get out enough. I had to carry her on my shoulders for nearly a mile and she still can't really walk today. :(

Despite nearly killing off Nikita this weekend, I'd like to add the Little Death Hollow, Wolverine and Horse canyon areas to the list of great dog hikes. There was a bit of boulder negotiating that was tough for Nikita but it was otherwise great and there were even occasional seeps that provided extra water. The nearly killing her off is probably more because she is a 10 year old dog that doesn't get out enough. I had to carry her on my shoulders for nearly a mile and she still can't really walk today. :(

Poor Nikita.:( That's got to be hard to have a willing spirit, but a body that can't keep up with it. I guess we'll all have to deal with that eventually as we get older. All the more reason to seize the day!

Hadn't realized that Escalante NM allowed dogs to be off leash, that should keep me busy for a while! We were at the petrified forest on the Wolverine Loop this weekend, poor Biff found it a bit hot. Saturday morning when we walked it was 20F, Sunday afternoon 75F, he never knows which coat to wear!

Hadn't realized that Escalante NM allowed dogs to be off leash, that should keep me busy for a while! We were at the petrified forest on the Wolverine Loop this weekend, poor Biff found it a bit hot. Saturday morning when we walked it was 20F, Sunday afternoon 75F, he never knows which coat to wear!

It was hot, wasn't it! We were right near there hiking out of Wolverine Canyon but we cut over to Little Death Hollow up a less-travelled canyon. Aside from Nikita's paws taking a beating, she was overheating like I've never seen her before. Definitely still wearing the wrong coat!