Beirdneau Peak - Easier spelled than done!

Smokey

On May 26th I decided on a whim to knock a mountain that pesters all Loganites. Mt Beirdneau isn't even in the top three highest peaks in the area, but its symmetrical shape is mesmerizing. It's hard for me to say exactly how far the distance is because my internal odometer kind of failed me on this trip. What I mean is that I can usually count on clocking two miles per hour as I hump my way up a hill and might make two and a half if I'm skipping down a ridge line. This hike slowed below those typical speeds due to chaffing, lack of sleep, a blister, and overall exhaustion. So I hiked for nine and a half hours, taking one hour in breaks. That would usually be equal to a seventeen mile trip. I don't think it was that far, but who's counting anyway?

Mt-Beirdneau-1.jpg

This was a strenuous hike! I like that about it. It is also appreciable that you can't drive to the top like nearby Mt Logan. I started at the wind caves trail head and a mile or so up too the right fork at a clearly marked wind caves trail marker. From there you work your way far left and then far right in gigantic switch backs up steep fields full of yellow arrowleaf bolsomroot littered with 30 to 60 foot cliffs. There is a nice chill out spot at the saddle where the the trail "ridges out" surrounded by aspens and pines.

Mt-Beirdneau-2.jpg

Hiking up the ridge is a pleasant relief from the steep climb up. There is a pretty distinct trail the whole way which conveniently bypasses past quite a few sucker peaks along the ridge line. The brush wash quite thick in spots and my legs got a good exfoliation hiking through in shorts. The final push up to the summit was the only place where I encounter navigational issues. The trail goes straight across the south west bowl of the peak and then disappears on the south ridge. I found that the main west ridge is the better route.

Mt-Beirdneau-3.jpg

At the peak there was a cairn covered in lady bugs, and slightly below that was a plaque. A little further down the north ridge and you could look down into the east bowl of Mt fuquitcha. This is the avalanche prone face above wood camp hollow. From here you can also see where green canyon "saddles out" and get a glimpse over towards Mt Elmer and Mt Jardine. Finally, looking back down the west ridge that "bottoms out" way down in the foothills of Logan. You can notice an enormous "false peak" along this ridge. Luckily, that is right where the wind caves trail head route "ridges out".

Mt-Beirdneau-4.jpg

I followed the same route back down to the trail head. I was exhausted and soar and crept past about a dozen different groups of hikers going up to the wind caves looking like a crippled fool. But I made it, and boy was it worth it! I would highly recommend this hike to anyone looking for a pre- season peak hike. With the snow along the shady side of the upper peak to provide water, I would consider making this a comfortable backpack.

Mt-Beirdneau-5.jpg

View Larger Map
Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

YESSSSS!!! Awesome to see you posting trip reports, Taylor! Also very cool to see the top of Beirdneau after seeing it from so many angles over the years. This really makes me homesick for the Bear River Range. :(

SOooooo awesome to see this as I've had this Peak in my radar for many years and was determined to bag it this year!!!!! Thanks for posting! :twothumbs: I've been up to the "saddle" from both Logan and Green canyons and I can't decide which trail I like better, both are good. I've only been up a few 100 yards along the ridge towards Beirdneau though.

Great report Smokey and great peak ;) I especially like the lady bugs occupying the summit and the flowers along the way.

I finally made it to Beirdneau Peak yesterday!!! :D

My GPS logged 4.7 miles to the top from Green Canyon. It felt like 5-6. I think it was the altitude, this was my highest hike this year.

View larger map.
Smokey, where the little flies on the lower half of the ridge horrible for you? They about drove us off the mountain. On the way down I hardly noticed them so maybe it is a certain time of day (mid afternoon) they were bad.

We noticed this camp left along the ridge. I can't believe someone hauled a wheelbarrow (not in photo) up here! There was a wooden box under the sticks that looked like where this was all stashed at some point. It's a big damn mess. :mad: I sure hope they guys comes and gets it, but it looked like it'd been left out for awhile.
DSC_0301.jpg

Oops, forgot to add this photo. If you looked close you can see the Unitas covered in snow.
DSC_0312.jpg

Thanks HomerJ for the input. Your dang gps clocking those actual miles make me feel kind of wimpy, but it's good to know. I didn't have any problems with bugs, so maybe it's a seasonal thing. Nice eye spotting those Uintas!

Thanks HomerJ for the input. Your dang gps clocking those actual miles make me feel kind of wimpy, but it's good to know. I didn't have any problems with bugs, so maybe it's a seasonal thing. Nice eye spotting those Uintas!
Well, there was nothing wimpy about that hike. My feet and legs were sore after that hike! Plus, it might be longer from Logan Canyon to the saddle... Plus my GPS was logging a point every 40-50 feet of hiking so that would make the GPS route a tad bit shorter.... I need to pull up the settings on it and see if I can adjust it. What do most people have their tracking set at? I know Nick uses his GPS a lot and I'm sure there are others that could give me some tips!