Beginner Wanting to Become an Adventurer

Erin

Hello all!
I've been hiking and rolling in dirt since I can remember. But it has only been the last couple years where I've been wanting longer hikes and more challenges.
Last weekend was my first backpacking trip, it was a challenge but AMAZING! Spent 3 days - 2 nights in Little Death Hollow. We yo-yo-ed the route since we picked up the wrong map at the visitors center.

Anyhow, I am soon to be leaving Salt Lake on a long road trip, to find myself, see some country and build up a fine art portfolio. My loose plan is it start in Moab and canyon lands, then move on to the grand canyon, stop down in Tucson, AZ for a layover with family and get some hiking and camping in. After that move over to California's coast through Joshua Tree then zigzagging to hit the Sierras, and up the coast clear to Washington.

I want to hit as many national parks as possible, and the idea is to start on smaller backpacking trips and moving up to longer ones as I become more comfortable and knowledgeable in what I'm doing.

I'm looking for as much advice as possible, also trail and trip suggestions.

Hi Erin,

I just noticed that nobody has responded to this post, probably because it's hard to know where to start. You are presenting a huge blank slate and there are many ways that it can be filled in, and many of those will be wonderful and gorgeous. I'd say that your itinerary will lead you to many amazing places. Thankfully, you can do lots of research on the Internet and find numerous trip reports here and on other sites.

You won't be able to anticipate everything -- if you could, it wouldn't be worth going -- but still, planning is important. Think about what you might need, what could happen to change your plans, and read what others have found useful. I think that when you have specific questions, such as Bear Spray or Gun, or what kind of communications device is best, you will get many useful replies from this forum.

My single best piece of advice is to always let somebody trustworthy know where you plan to go, and how long you think it will take.

Have fun and post some reports and photos!

-- John Fowler

Erin

My advice to you is pick the blankest spot on the map and head for it, always make sure people know where you will be, and go explore (hit the natl. park places also, but make sure you get away from other people!)
That is what makes it fun for me. Not what I know about someplace but what I don't know.
And contrary to what Mr. Fowler just advised, leave the weapons and all communication devices at home, and get a good map and compass. Getting lost can be quite rewarding too. Just my $.02, I am sure others will differ.

I was thinking about the bear spray, but just for traveling. I'm more concered about other people, then actual bears.
The only communication I was planning on taking was The Spot. Just incase. I'm excited to get lost, and to push myself, to measure how strong I can be as a person and physically.
Thanks for the word and 2cents

OKay, here is a specific question for anyone who has taken extended trips. What is one thing you took on the road that you though for sure you would need, but eneded up not needing.
I'm currently trying to figure out what of my posseions I"ll need to keep. the rest it being sold/given away.

Hey Erin,
For backpacking list see nicks string and guide at http://backcountrypost.com/forum/attachments/backpackingchecklist-pdf.8/
As for what you need in the car. Just think of the most likely scenarios. Flat tire- Make sure spare is pumped up and you have the tire jack and iron and know how to use it, I also keep a little kit you can buy in most stores for tire punctures that consists of a few 3" black rubber strands you push down into the puncture hole with a little metal screwdriver-like application tool- super easy. Always keep at least 2-3 gallons of water for your car alone, overheating is common and a boil over of your radiator will drain a gallon out of your system quick-like. I also keep a small 72 hour kit of food and water in my car at all times. Another good thing to have is a 12v tire pump, this is handy for fixable flats and deflating tires temporarily to get through loose sand. on the power side- leave your interior dome lights switched off at all times. have jumper cables and even better a $$ booster pack. I also carry extra engine belts that are 10$ for my suby and the correct wrench to easily change them out if you throw a belt. Tow rope. what else here? shovel for getting unstuck and burying shit. umm. and $40 cash to hitch a ride if all else fails. Petrol-Fill up more than you think you need for a dirt road.

As for your search for solitude.. solo is great and very necessary at times, but please pick a trail that might have a passerby or two here and there. Also, a lot of people do extended routes in that area so it is nice to camp and/or cross their paths and get overall trip routes/ideas. We are a community. Good Luck!

How do you fit all of that in your car? :)

Gotta put in my 2 cents. Being an adventurer is not something to aspire to, it's something to become. If you're too deliberate about planning for every contingency or situation it will get in the way of getting out and experiencing it. By getting out & doing, evaluating what you need & don't will become second nature. It all begins with just getting out.

I'm reminded of a thought by the great Louis L'Amour- Adventure is just a romantic word for trouble...

Gotta put my 1cent in since I'm not an expert...;)...my best friend and I did 4 days in Salt Creek last August...you can find the thread here somewhere I think....neither of us had ever backpacked before...she had never even camped before, but we're tough MI girls so we just went for it! I think the biggest reason she initially agreed to to was because I told everyone I was going alone if I had to and they were all sure I would die out there...LOL. My advice for what it's worth....look through all of these trip reports and find what it is that your soul needs...for me I found Nick's blog by Googling hikes with Ruins since that is what I have ALWAYS wanted to experience...once I found his blog I was smitten!! I had a PLAN!! I knew exactly where I wanted to go and I proceeded to research every bit of it and everything I may encounter out there. Quite a lot of my research not only filled idle hours during the long winter, but it also came in very handy once I was there for real. For me water sources were a big determining factor too...I didn't want a dry hike....no matter what you choose to do you will love it and be forever bitten by the bug!!

Your post sounds a lot like the Cheryl Strayed book it just read. That book is full of bad ideas. She does not even know how to use a compass or a stove before solo hiking. Her boots don't even fit correctly and she ends up loosing them due to her inexperience. These mistakes could be fatal in the real world. We just had 2 fatalities near my home at Craters of the Moon NP. They died from exposure and we're not prepared for the conditions and only a mile from their car. Even if you have a Spot gps weather could delay rescue. It may just help them recover the body. Plan where you are going so you know what you well need. Then be familiar with you equipment and test it in advance. You will be under stress so muscle memory really helps when you are fatigued and lack the ability to think things through. Backpack with more experience friends until you get more knowledgeable. Then take off on your own if that is your thing (I never hike alone myself).

@Erin I was thinking about this thread over the weekend and wanted to check in on your progress. How's it going? What fun trips have you done and what have you learned- good/bad/or otherwise!? How's the extended road trip going? We need an update!